Luke Rockhold on Israel Adesanya: ‘He’s beatable in so many ways’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
UFC 221: Romero v Rockhold

Luke Rockhold appreciates Israel Adesanya’s unorthodox style and respects him as a fighter but believes he is a particularly bad matchup for the middleweight champion.

Rockhold believes he could pick Adesanya apart from the outside while keeping ‘The Last Stylebender’ guessing with takedowns, claiming that the key to victory is to stay relaxed and composed.

“I know what Israel’s capable of. I’ve been studying Israel for a long time,” Rockhold told ESPN’s Brett Okamoto in a recent interview. “I appreciate his style, but I think he’s beatable in so many ways. I don’t think many guys can fight him from the outside like I can.”

Former middleweight champ Luke Rockhold believes he has the tools to defeat current champ Israel Adesanya

(via @bokamotoESPN) pic.twitter.com/hDsdE4VbMk

— ESPN MMA (@espnmma) May 25, 2021
“If I just stay relaxed and stay on the outside, it’s a game that I can play,” he continued. “And then if we go into the takedowns, I’ll do it a lot better than Jan did. I’ll tell you that.”

Blachowicz beat Adesanya utlilizing a similar strategy to the one outlined by Rockhold above, but not everyone has Jan’s legendary Polish power.

Rockhold may feel he has the style to beat Adesanya, but the former Strikeforce and UFC middleweight champ needs to get back in the Octagon and pick up a win first. The UFC vet took a two-year hiatus after suffering back-to-back knockout losses to Yoel Romero and Jan Blachowicz in 2018/2019 and is expected to return to the cage later this year against a TBA opponent.

Adesanya, meanwhile, will defend his title against top-three middleweight Marvin Vettori at UFC 263 on June 12. The highly anticipated PPV takes place at at the Gila River Arena in Glendale, Arizona.

Luke Rockhold on Israel Adesanya: ‘He’s beatable in so many ways’

Last edited:

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Luke has only one win since 2015 and that was over a fighter who's not even ranked in the top 20...he is not beating Israel.

Screen-Shot-2018-02-14-at-12.35.40-PM.jpegPDuSyrp.gif

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
he is correct, but that doesn't mean he can prove it
his time may have passed
I would watch that fight

TheFifthScallop

Who am I kidding? I’m a whore.
Amateur Fighter
Nov 15, 2015
he is correct, but that doesn't mean he can prove it
his time may have passed
I would watch that fight
His time has definitely passed. There was something that happened to him after Bisping knocked him out. He went 1-2 and honestly didn’t look that great against Branch. Maybe I need to rewatch the fight, but I remember Branch catching him quite a bit in the first.

John Lee Pettimore

Further south than you
May 18, 2021
He wants to fight Izzy standing, on the outside? He reckons that's his best path to the win? :laughing:

Rockhold's arrogance is just comical at this point. He has ONE win in the last FIVE YEARS and that was against David Branch, who was last seen on a three fight skid, the last of which came after being released by the UFC.

2021 Rockhold has ONE career win over a currently-ranked UFC fighter. And that guy is 2-6 in the last five years, with five KO losses plus a grotesque leg break in his last eight fights. Somehow still ranked #12. And that's all of Rockhold's wins over currently ranked fighters.

Meanwhile, looking at the current MW rankings, Izzy has wins over:

#1 (KO)
#2 (TKO)
#5 (TKO)

Every single one of those wins came after Rockhold's last win (which was over a guy who is totally irrelevant in the MW division.)

But yeah, Rockhold's gonna return at age 37 and school Izzy on the feet. Righto.

Rockhold is comical at this point.

??

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Rockhold talking about testing Izzy is like Weidman talking about it but less realistic from a stylistic standpoint.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Prime Luke all day, today no way.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
i'll believe Rockhold when he learns how to shut the fuck up...