Lunar Eclipse & Super Moon today! (September 27)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015

Sunday's lunar eclipse will also feature a 'Supermoon'

It hasn't happened in 33 years, and won't for another 18 years: Sunday evening, a total lunar eclipse will coincide with a "Supermoon."

The total eclipse will start at 10:11 p.m. EDT (7:11 p.m. PDT) Sunday evening and will last one hour and 12 minutes. It will be visible across North and South America, Europe, Africa, and parts of West Asia and the eastern Pacific, NASA said.

A lunar eclipse occurs when the Earth is between the full moon and the sun. The Earth's shadow covers the moon, which often has a red color, hence the "blood" moon nickname.

Although it's completely in the shadow of Earth, a bit of reddish sunlight still reaches the moon.

"That red light shining onto the moon is sunlight that has skimmed and bent through Earth's atmosphere: that is, from all the sunrises and sunsets that ring the world at any given moment," according to Alan MacRobert of Sky and Telescope magazine.

Weather permitting, folks in the eastern half of North America can watch every stage of the eclipse, from beginning to end of the partial phases, with the moon mostly high in the sky, Sky and Telescope reports.

In the West, the first partial stage of the eclipse will already be in progress when the moon rises in the east around sunset.

You don't need special glasses or gizmos to view it, unlike a solar eclipse, so feel free to stare directly at the moon. Binoculars or a telescope would improve the view.

And what does a Supermoon mean? It just means the moon looks a bit bigger than usual since its a bit closer to the Earth than usual. "Because the orbit of the moon is not a perfect circle, the moon is sometimes closer to the Earth than at other times during its orbit," NASA scientist Noah Petro said in a statement.

"There’s no physical difference in the moon," Petro added. "It just appears slightly bigger in the sky. It’s not dramatic, but it does look larger."

It's about 14% larger than normal, NASA reports.

What is uncommon is for a total lunar eclipse to coincide with a Supermoon. There have been just five such events since 1900 (in 1910, 1928, 1946, 1964 and 1982), NASA said.

This is the last total lunar eclipse visible anywhere on Earth until 2018, according to Sky and Telescope. Americans will actually see a total solar eclipse (in Aug. 2017) before the next total lunar eclipse.

Sunday's lunar eclipse will also feature a 'Supermoon'

GJdeux

It's SAND
Mar 2, 2015
it's supposed to be pretty cloudy here...hope it holds off until I get to see a bit of this baby

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
A rare confluence of a lunar eclipse and a supermoon set to happen this weekend has prompted such widespread fear of an impending apocalypse that the Mormon Church was compelled to issue a statement cautioning its members to not believe the end of the world is near.

Sunday night’s “blood moon”, recent natural disasters and global political unrest have reportedly led to a rise in sales of emergency supplies.

A Mormon author, Julie Rowe, has heightened fears by proclaiming that the eclipse, which gives the moon a red tint and makes it appear larger than normal, spells the end of the earth.

It's unclear how many of the church’s members buy Ms Rowe’s theory, but Mormon leaders were concerned enough to issue a public statement cautioning believers not to be worried by talk of the apocalypse.

They told their 15 million worldwide members that the faithful should be “spiritually and physically prepared for life’s ups and downs”.

Watch the video below for Nasa's explanation of why the spectacle happens:

The leaders also stated followers should “avoid being caught up in extreme efforts to anticipate events” and that they should not take speculation from individual church members as doctrine

Earlier in month Mormon leaders had sent a memo to administrators and teachers in the church's education system, telling them to be wary of Ms Rowe's books.

Storing away enough food and water in case of disaster, job loss or something worse is part of the fundamental teachings of the religion.

Embedded in the minds of Mormons and the church's official name,The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, is the belief that one day regular history will end, bringing the second coming of Jesus.

Many homes in Utah are equipped with special shelving for emergency water, beans and wheat.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Ooooo I can almost see it over the fence in the back yard...... Almost time to spark ittyt14434020853652002964410.jpg

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
it should be happening here in about an hour and a half

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
T-Minus a few more minutes until we have full werewolf moon liftoff.

Theres no sun or moon emoji? what!! :mad:

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Too much cloud cover. Hopefully clears up or maybe the moon will peak through.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is so cool!

I had actually been waiting for a year for this.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Just came down from up the mountain with my wife and kids. We took some dinner and a couple of drinks and drove up to the top of the mountain to watch this incredible eclipse. Could not have asked for a better night, super clear skies..........and I can't stress enough how different the stars appear when you are so far removed from any city or large town lights. The brightness of the constellations is indescribable, and that eclipse was fucking unreal! Wish you all could have been there!!

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
looked like a blimp flew in front of the moon at a snails pace or if you opened your curtains really slowly in the morning when you got up.

cant say it was edge of your seat action, but i guess it was something.

not sure if an eclipse could sell a PPV though.

meteor showers are a pretty unique thing to witness.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
All the Marin moms were out in the street slowing down traffic, telling everyone to "slow down!" in that Mom Tone of Voice you just know they bragged to their mom friends about. Dragged all their kids out, and... it was just a kind of reddish slightly larger moon... THAT WAS ALMOST COMPLETELY COVERED UP! Dumbasses.

Fuck, I hate Marin.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Just came down from up the mountain with my wife and kids. We took some dinner and a couple of drinks and drove up to the top of the mountain to watch this incredible eclipse. Could not have asked for a better night, super clear skies..........and I can't stress enough how different the stars appear when you are so far removed from any city or large town lights. The brightness of the constellations is indescribable, and that eclipse was fucking unreal! Wish you all could have been there!!
Wish I could have as well. I EVER get out to Canada again, and I'm spending the day with you. By far one of the coolest people I've met online (no homo).