Lyoto Machida Vs Chael Sonnen... Fight Predictions?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

MMA Slam Podcast

Apr 3, 2019
I searched to see if anyone made any recent threads on this fight. Figured it would be fun to talk about. So at this stage of their careers... who do you guys got and why? I think... Machida takes this. He has better stand up than Chael, has been known to be difficult to take down, especially due to the footwork.

Chael is either going to Grind him out, spam takedowns and win via decision. Or Machida is going to batter him on the feet, and also when he comes in for a takedown... maybe win via stoppage. Again picking Machida.

Who you guys got and how do you see it going down?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Tired of Chael
I think Lyoto can stick and move
I expect a lot of circling and countering from Machida
Chael will Lay and Pray heavy if he gets top

decision victory for Lyoto
maybe chael flails like he did vs Rashad and it goes early

MMA Slam Podcast

Apr 3, 2019
Tired of Chael
I think Lyoto can stick and move
I expect a lot of circling and countering from Machida
Chael will Lay and Pray heavy if he gets top

decision victory for Lyoto
maybe chael flails like he did vs Rashad and it goes early
I think you are spot on with everything Bro. Crazy things happen... imagine Chael with the out of nowhere KO lol? It's MMA possible albeit minute haha. But yeah Machida should take this fight, kinda a bad match up for Chael in some ways.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I think you are spot on with everything Bro. Crazy things happen... imagine Chael with the out of nowhere KO lol? It's MMA possible albeit minute haha. But yeah Machida should take this fight, kinda a bad match up for Chael in some ways.
chael could win but not from KO
that is the rarest of rare(hasn't done it since 2007 or so)]
trust me I know he can pull shit off...I bet heavy on shogun vs chael and it was an EPO fueled grappling nightmare ending for me

I want machida to win so he can fight Mousasi next...they have the unfinished business because the first fight was basically a draw

MMA Slam Podcast

Apr 3, 2019
chael could win but not from KO
that is the rarest of rare(hasn't done it since 2007 or so)]
trust me I know he can pull shit off...I bet heavy on shogun vs chael and it was an EPO fueled grappling nightmare ending for me

I want machida to win so he can fight Mousasi next...they have the unfinished business because the first fight was basically a draw
Oh yeah I know Chael winning via KO would be the flukiest thing ever lol. Was just pointing out as you know with this sport crazy bs happens and you stay with your jaw dropped sometimes. Even those gimme fights... 1% chance the other fighter wins. Always that small chance. Remember way back Randleman Vs Crocop? That left hook if I remember from Randleman just floored Cro. I was like what in dee helllll?!

Chael tapping Shogun was indeed an upset.

Rambo John J

First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Oh yeah I know Chael winning via KO would be the flukiest thing ever lol. Was just pointing out as you know with this sport crazy bs happens and you stay with your jaw dropped sometimes. Even those gimme fights... 1% chance the other fighter wins. Always that small chance. Remember way back Randleman Vs Crocop? That left hook if I remember from Randleman just floored Cro. I was like what in dee helllll?!

Chael tapping Shogun was indeed an upset.
yep crazy things happen

Machida has lost a step but he grapples well and chael hates to get hit clean

My ideal ending would be TKO machida as Chael fails at grappling the Brazilian

MMA Slam Podcast

Apr 3, 2019
yep crazy things happen

Machida has lost a step but he grapples well and chael hates to get hit clean

My ideal ending would be TKO machida as Chael fails at grappling the Brazilian
If Machida comes in half of what he was... he is prob gonna take it. Remember how much of a pain in the ass he was to take down? That Sumo background, he had strong hips. Just shrugged you off. Darted in and out like a Viper. WAAAAHP! One of my fav fights of his was against Thiago Silva...

I was at this get together and nobody was giving Machida a shot (In this group), because Thiago was starching people looked all scary. I was like nawwww... Machida is wayyyy too skilled. He got that beautiful trip takedown and followed up with a nasty punch on the ground. Machida was the the Man. Changed the game for a lil. "Karate doesn't work"... uhhhh yes it does lol. If implemented well.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Chael desperately going for takedowns ad Lyoto dragon whips tail and counter punches.

I think Lyoto can stuff a few TK but needs to keep it there for the W.

If Chael puts that Dad bod on him in the later rounds as Lyoto gasses it's gonna stay there.

Or he just lays and prays from the get go.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
Chael desperately going for takedowns ad Lyoto dragon whips tail and counter punches.

I think Lyoto can stuff a few TK but needs to keep it there for the W.

If Chael puts that Dad bod on him in the later rounds as Lyoto gasses it's gonna stay there.

Or he just lays and prays from the get go.
There is always the possibility of Chael doing something silly and basically submitting himself.