MacDonald ‘didn’t have that fire’ against Mousasi

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Rory MacDonald has opened up on his underwhelming middleweight title bout against Gegard Mousasi at Bellator 206, calling it the worst performance of his fighting career.

MacDonald, a former UFC welterweight title challenger, looked tentative from the opening bell and was unable to mount any significant offense against Mousasi. The Canadian was dominated on the feet before eventually being taken down and finished with a barrage of ground-and-pound in the second round.

Speaking to ESPN’s Ariel Helwani in a recent interview, MacDonald said his preparation for the Mousasi fight lacked the ‘fire’ and intensity of previous training camps, and that he only has himself to…

Rory MacDonald on ‘worst performance’ of his career against Mousasi: ‘I didn’t have that fire’

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Makes you wonder if a loss will light a fire under him for the WW tourney, or if he’s beginning to lose passion for the sport.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
He probably lost that fire as soon as Mousasi landed a lightning fast jab to the face in the opening seconds of the fight.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I don't think anyone can beat Mousasi at MW right now apart from Romero (I think Mousasi beats Whittaker) and he looked really good. It's hard to see what even a 100% Rory could have done.

so long

Posting Machine
Dec 16, 2015
It's funny how these headlines work and give impressions. I thought "of all people, would Rory now make excuses?!"

In the same soundbite, Rory also said that he blames no one but himself. After I read the headline "didn't have that fire" I thought that he was going to make excuses (which would have surprised me), which of course he didn't.

Btw. what is his training situation? I heard that some time ago we went back to train more with his old coach, less with Tristar. Do you guys know who he trained with primarily for the Mousasi fight?

And about the fight: no shame, maybe Mousasi is just really good and crafty and beat him. Maybe Mousasi might have even beaten 'having that fire'-Rory ...

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
It's funny how these headlines work and give impressions. I thought "of all people, would Rory now make excuses?!"

In the same soundbite, Rory also said that he blames no one but himself. After I read the headline "didn't have that fire" I thought that he was going to make excuses (which would have surprised me), which of course he didn't.

Btw. what is his training situation? I heard that some time ago we went back to train more with his old coach, less with Tristar. Do you guys know who he trained with primarily for the Mousasi fight?

And about the fight: no shame, maybe Mousasi is just really good and crafty and beat him. Maybe Mousasi might have even beaten 'having that fire'-Rory ...
I don’t think a fighter that normally fights at 170 beats a beast of a fighter who normally fights at higher weights

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I don’t think a fighter that normally fights at 170 beats a beast of a fighter who normally fights at higher weights
Definitely rare occurrence but when it happens it's great to watch.

I'd even include Gsp beating up Bisping. I know we both agree Mikey isn't really a beast but Georges gets extra points for coming back from a long layoff.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Definitely rare occurrence but when it happens it's great to watch.

I'd even include Gsp beating up Bisping. I know we both agree Mikey isn't really a beast but Georges gets extra points for coming back from a long layoff.
Agree, I thought “you stupid fuck, what about Gsp bisping?” But couldn’t be bothered to edit

TubbyMcFatfuck

I am the one who Tubs
Oct 20, 2015
Hes probably starting to burn out. He knows his nose is a handicap in all his fights moving forward, hes been in mma almost half his life and been hailed as the next GSP that never was. Douglas Lima put a hurt on him which likely didn't do much for momentum going into the Mousavi fight. I still hope he can put it back together and get something going with a win over jon Fitch because I love his fighting spirit.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

Lit Rory should be added to the lexicon in the Motivated Penn category.

M

member 3289

Idk maybe he's trying to justify the loss to himself, but what I saw was Rory get beat up by a guy who was naturally bigger, stronger, and surprisingly just as fast.

This is why we have weight classes.