Lifestyle Made some tea from the weeds in my lawn

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Had a pretty good crop of Creeping Charlie that sprouted up before my first mow of the season. It's a weed in the mint family, high in vitamin C and it's supposed to be really good for you.

Cleaned it a bit and crammed it into a Mason jar:

Added boiling water and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Filtered it into a glass, added some ice and BAM! Yard Weed Tea.

Not going to lie. It tasted like ass.
And now the wife is pissed at me because the kitchen smells like a hot spinach fart.

Do not recommend.

gangsterkathryn

저승사자
Oct 20, 2015
I added lemon juice and honey. I was able to choke it down after that.

It still had a very "earthy" taste to it.
I’m not into “earthy,” kava was “earthy” enough, and that at least does something.

Let me know if you start tripping balls anytime soon.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hmmm maybe next time use toilet water and see if It tastes better?

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
FYI. This is what Creeping Charlie looks like:

Not to be confused with Henbit:

Or Purple Dead Nettle:

All can be found in the midwest in the spring, often within close proximity to one another.
All are edible though, so no biggie if you mix them up.

Last edited:

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Or Purple Dead Nettle:

Although all are edible, so no biggie if you mix them up.
Make sure it's not that stuff of into the wild.

I've never eaten anything wild apart from berries and a native chick I met in the bar ince

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
Make sure it's not that stuff of into the wild.
I'm a fairly cautious forager.
Usually when I eat plants in the wild it's just to freak people out and I'm 100% sure they are safe.

I have a buddy who is really good at identifying plants, and he particularly likes hunting for mushrooms. But some of those things have very small differences between poisonous and edible, so I don't eat them even when he picks them.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
I'm a fairly cautious forager.
Usually when I eat plants in the wild it's just to freak people out and I'm 100% sure they are safe.

I have a buddy who is really good at identifying plants, and he particularly likes hunting for mushrooms. But some of those things have very small differences between poisonous and edible, so I don't eat them even when he picks them.
I'm not much of an outdoorsman, but a few years out of college I got dragged along by my then girlfriend to her family's hunting cabin in the middle of nowhere & the moonshine was flowing all weekend. Her cousin was there for a day, he's a pretty big redneck & I was walking thru the woods with him & he said he was tracking deer & he bent down & grabbed a couple brown pellets off the ground that appeared to be deer shit, sniffed them & ate them & said "Yep, we got a doe wandering around here." Didn't find out til later they were raisinettes. His buddy, who showed up in bib overalls with no tshirt underneath got there later & told me his name was "Craven Morehead" This was after a lot of moonshine so it took me til the next day to realize I'd been had. Not my most sharpest weekend, I blame the moonshine

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
One of the more popular shrooms to hunt for around here is the Morel.

They look like this:

Morels are edible and quite good when cooked.

This is what is known as a False Morel - very poisonous:

Best way to tell them apart is to slit them in half. Morels are hollow, False Morels are not.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Good thread.
I too was expecting dandelion.
Was the creeping charlie flowering Hauler @Hauler ?

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

Or Purple Dead Nettle:

All can be found in the midwest in the spring, often within close proximity to one another.
All are edible though, so no biggie if you mix them up.
I eat nettle every year when hiking or rafting...roll a soft new growth tip in a ball to crush the little stingers and eat it...very tasty

I also eat new blackberry growth...it is one of the first new growth to shoot in spring

learned about these from a Latino dude that used to hike 5 miles to work thru woods each day...he brought no lunch and ate stuff off the land...Salvador

RaginCajun

The Reigning Undisputed Monsters Tournament Champ
Oct 25, 2015
Had a pretty good crop of Creeping Charlie that sprouted up before my first mow of the season. It's a weed in the mint family, high in vitamin C and it's supposed to be really good for you.

Cleaned it a bit and crammed it into a Mason jar:

Added boiling water and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Filtered it into a glass, added some ice and BAM! Yard Weed Tea.

Not going to lie. It tasted like ass.
And now the wife is pissed at me because the kitchen smells like a hot spinach fart.

Do not recommend.
I knew a man called Creeping Charlie ones.