Maia beats Askren

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

nuraknu

savage
Jul 20, 2016
I'm not sure about this characterization of bjj vs. wrestling. Maia is more like Shields in his perspective on the sport. He's been studying and practicing wrestling for a long time, in combination with his bjj. Idk if a straight bjj practitioner who hasn't done that would do as well.

But these days most people are aware and probably have incorporated other stuff into their programs. The people in my life who train in martial arts do.

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I'm glad the Askren era, to put it in terms it doesn't deserve, is finally almost over. I'm sorry to say this because he's a human being and everything but it was just so annoying and boring. To have to listen to all the talking, for years, about how he'd mentally break GSP and all this other crap. The guy did nowhere near what was necessary to warrant the proclamations he made about his own abilities.

Believe me, I patiently await the day some killer in Bellator or wherever is cleaning up and, through whatever circumstance, crushes a UFC great and catapults some other organization toward eventual parity. The sport really needs it. It needs the competition. Because right now, my god is it getting boring. I remember when people used to say having MMA become like boxing would wreck it. Holy shit were they wrong. At least the boxing ecosystem gives fighters the leverage they need to get the money they deserve. The UFC doesn't even have that. Plus it has all the downsides AS WELL.

I want somebody to do it. Preferably, a bunch of people. I'm embarrassed to say it (because, like I said, he's a human being), but I'm glad he's not one of them.