Maia vs. Masvidal Targeted for Nashville April 22nd

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Lukewarm Carl

TMMAC Addict
Aug 7, 2015

Brazilian Demian Maia, with six straight victories in his last fights, will try to place the seventh in front of the American Jorge Masvidal. That's the intent of the UFC, which plans the midfielder to be the main fight in Nashville on April 22. Sources close to the organization confirmed to Combate.com that the fight is on track, and the winner has a good chance of being the next title challenger. Next Saturday in Las Vegas, Tyron Woodley will defend the division belt against Stephen Thompson, after a draw in the last fight between them.

UFC planeja Demian x Masvidal para ser a luta principal do UFC Nashville

Rambo John J

Baker Team
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
gnight maia

your fighting the guy who nobody wants to fight, who finally got a fight with the other guy nobody wants to fight and he crushed him like can

regular john

Muay Thai World Champion
May 21, 2015
I'd like to see that happen too. Jorge is a great story...from BK in the streets of Miami w/ Kimbo, to UFC title contender.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkPe0ty3zRk
Yeah they should make a movie with this guy's story with the plot twist being when he was robbed against Iaquinta. I really hope he becomes champ and makes lots of money. it will be hard finding someone who deserves it more.

Jdog93

.....?
Jun 2, 2016
Great Matchup. I'd Say Maia's Ground game would be a tough challenge for my Masvidal but his TDD has been looking good and ...Dem Hands Boy!
Gambred for the Win.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Maia wins this easily.

Maia takes him down and punishes him then submits him

M

member 603

Two guys I really like.... But right now Maia is on another level with his grappling and submissions. The way he times his entry to set up his takedowns is just amazing.... He's fought the top guys in the division and has been hit like 4 times in the last 5 matches.

Again Masvidal is a stud, but I like Maia in this fight..... And I wish the UFC would have done Wonderboy/Woodley 2 winner vs Maia, have Masvidal vs Kim as a #1 contender, Lawler vs Diaz as that #2 match, & Wonderboy/Woodley loser vs Masvidal/Kim loser.... Hire me UFC

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
Masvidal better be doing some resinous TDD and sweeps because if Maia gets on top the sub should be pretty straight forward for him.

Mas is coming off a POTN with the Cerrone fight and could get W #4 in a row which would be his longest streak ever. It's a very interesting fight and the winner certainly must be considered a big contender which the UFC might finally admit for Maia!

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
I don't think Maia can get him down. This is going to be like Rory vs Maia....Jorge is going for the title by the end of the year.

Ranger

Nov 17, 2015
Man if Masvidal is on point doesnt get too arrogant then he is going to abuse Maia. Masvidal has really good TDD and is a much better boxer, I see him outboxing Maia and making him just look desperate on the feet, and shooting for sloppy takedowns. Can't overlook how badly Maia fatigues in fights either. #easymoneycampaign

distant1

Feb 13, 2017
masvidal is one of the legitimately most well rounded guys in mma, he can do everything; everyone says that, but he really can. And he has so much experience its hard to attack him from a perspective or with a strategy that he hasn't dealt w/before; his poise, calm and versatility is hard to match.

his issue is just if he will be consistent, if he will go out and win instead of doing just enough to lose; this is very dangerous cus maia is otherworldly on the ground and his pressuring footwork is so disciplined precise and unrelenting.

but if Jorge can pivot extit enter on angles..and keep his counterpunches active and sharp..he beats maia going away. Maia cardio isn't there in a back and forth fight, neither is his chin; there are ways to beat Jorge, but if you can't push a pace and fight him on every range..its super tough

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I think Maia is going to make this look easier than it really is. Jorge has the hands to KO almost anyone in the division, but I don't think he has the footwork to keep Maia in his power range without ending up on his back. And once he's on his back...

Andrewsimar Palhardass

Women, dinosaurs, and the violence of the octagon.
Jan 8, 2016
I don't like this booking, though it's no Cub vs Lobov in terms of confusion. I'd like to see Masvidal against any other top 5-7 guy. This is a fun fight for sure but Maia needs his title shot and I don't like burning one of these contenders.

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
I can see age and cardio beating Maia. I can't see Masvidal beating the guy who has been pushing almost the entire WW division's shit in though, if he shows up.