Mainstream MMA clickbait news and culture

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The other day a member here updated us on WSOF news that was less-than thorough, and I believe it was MMAnews.com.

That reminded me of a time I posted on another forum and CindyO(their paid shill) responded in her condescending way with personal info privy to her through BJ Penn.com.

At that time, I already knew the UFC was controlling the media, but not to that extent that different outlets were being handed personal profiles to counter opinions.

Most know that MMAWeekly, MMAJunkie, BleacherReport, Yahoosports, name your outlet, are just there for the buck and push inaccurate click-bait, adding to the culture of Be first not accurate that is so prevalent in today's media.
Denzel Washington addressed this in December:
Denzel Washington blasts media for selling 'BS'

When it comes to our beloved MMA, it strikes a chord.
We get tired of fighters being blasted or labled by media outlets or used for causes that diminish their integrity.

Who can forget Kenny Rice' blasting of Ben Askren and rude treatment of super-athlete Ben Askren?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahPI9nZpfg

Is anyone else sick of irresponsible MMA "news"' lack of integrity?

What say you TMMAC?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
This is a byproduct of advertising needs. It's just the way the model is at the moment. Blogs parading as news needing traffic.

Are there any paid MMA Publications online?

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is a byproduct of advertising needs. It's just the way the model is at the moment. Blogs parading as news needing traffic.

Do you see a trend with this model?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
mma media is the fuckiing worst. a fighter or someone related to a team makes a tweet and every fucking site runs with it like it is 100% truth and legit news.one thing that always pissed me off about the underground was the lack of any actual media members while being the #2 site in the entire game.sherdog and mmafighting have media members at every event asking questions and doing interviews but not old money bags kirik.he relies on user provided info and reposting tweets and rumors as truth. no one goes and checks it out .no one calls camps and managers to check if things are true.ariel might be the best guy in the business because as goofy as he is he tries to act like an actual journalist. not to mention whore sites like entimports flooding twitter and fb with clickbait bullshit.it makes me unfollow guys like jake shields who promote their rumors .#fake news

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
we all knew kirik was a whore years ago.who else charges people to post the only content their site even has. entimports is a piece of shit whore site too.twitter and fb both are full of jake shields and bec rawlings clickbait posts that lead back to entimports .

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
we all knew kirik was a whore years ago.who else charges people to post the only content their site even has. entimports is a piece of shit whore site too.twitter and fb both are full of jake shields and bec rawlings clickbait posts that lead back to entimports .
Doesnt Cyborg push entimports?

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
entimports is that slimey pedro carrasco dude who accused bj penn of sexual assaulting his girlfriend

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
entimports is that slimey pedro carrasco dude who accused bj penn of sexual assaulting his girlfriend
I could be wrong but I think he was working with (or for) The UG for a while, when he first left BJ's too, and that's when their "business model" changed to this click bait stuff.

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
It's become a plague ...good reliable journalism has been tossed out the window for "ratings" or "clicks" ....it is really a bad time for those looking for real information or simple truth.

But IMO, this opens the door for entrepreneurs looking to get into the media world.

In today's day and age everyone is a reporter who can shoot out a quick tweet, or make a post and connect with millions around the world.

The game is changing!

With this bombardment of bullshit headlines and click-bait stories, it opens the door for reporters to make their names for themselves by posting truthful, insightful content.

I think a good truthful reliable reporter can built quiet a reputation that will keep a strong following going forward, building that relationship with his/her viewers will be much more profitable then any quick "click-bait" money scheme would ever turnout.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015

Enock-O-Lypse Now!

Underneath Denver International Airport
Jun 19, 2016
What absolute trash.
UG is pure trash! bunch of con-men trying to milk their users of every little penny they can.

Wonder what the latest news is on Ms.Ortiz the biggest shill to ever be outted in the MMA world.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
What absolute trash.
We saw this transition start to happen about 12-18 months ago. I'm sort of shocked that no one else has really noticed it...especially now when it's so intrusive and obvious.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
they got to do something now that lorenzo isnt giving them boatloads of cash

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Journalism across the board has diminished tremendously. No more subscriptions, no more newspapers or magazines. Just clicks, just that one click from you, doesn't matter what's on the other side. And we have these devices we call phones, that enables us to do so 24-7.

Last edited:

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
The thing is, we can sit here and pretend the media did this, but we did it to ourselves. All of us falling into that "information wants to be free" line of BS technology companies have been peddling for years just because we're too cheap to support outlets we claim to care about is what did this.

I was an MMA journalist from 2000-2004. Getting paid was pretty much impossible. Sites experimented with charging for "premium content" and people just stopped visiting the sites, particularly when someone could just copy and paste the article somewhere for free. Print publications struggled to get and maintain distribution and when they did, people barely bought them. The money doesn't come from nowhere. People just wanted inside dirt and forums filled that hole nicely. Why thumb through some article on what Phil Baroni thinks when you can just talk smack to him online and see what he says?

Even today, digital media transacts in pennies. You think you're doing a site a favor by clicking the link to go to their page when you repost it? The ad revenue is just a few cents. Clickbait exploits human curiosity to drive the number of interactions into the thousands or millions, making at least a little revenue, but rarely enough to pay a reporter a decent wage, much less fund any true investigative work.

In MMA, what we call media are mostly fans, even the ones working for established media outlets. And there are literally thousands of them willing to write for free just to see their name on the byline on their favorite site or to get access to fighters.

The MMA media didn't screw us. We screwed ourselves.

sparkuri

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The thing is, we can sit here and pretend the media did this, but we did it to ourselves. All of us falling into that "information wants to be free" line of BS technology companies have been peddling for years just because we're too cheap to support outlets we claim to care about is what did this.

I was an MMA journalist from 2000-2004. Getting paid was pretty much impossible. Sites experimented with charging for "premium content" and people just stopped visiting the sites, particularly when someone could just copy and paste the article somewhere for free. Print publications struggled to get and maintain distribution and when they did, people barely bought them. The money doesn't come from nowhere. People just wanted inside dirt and forums filled that hole nicely. Why thumb through some article on what Phil Baroni thinks when you can just talk smack to him online and see what he says?

Even today, digital media transacts in pennies. You think you're doing a site a favor by clicking the link to go to their page when you repost it? The ad revenue is just a few cents. Clickbait exploits human curiosity to drive the number of interactions into the thousands or millions, making at least a little revenue, but rarely enough to pay a reporter a decent wage, much less fund any true investigative work.

In MMA, what we call media are mostly fans, even the ones working for established media outlets. And there are literally thousands of them willing to write for free just to see their name on the byline on their favorite site or to get access to fighters.

The MMA media didn't screw us. We screwed ourselves.
Certainly to a degree, many did.
I'll opt out of that responsibility, at least as a regular.
Less is more imo, and free journalism invites passion.
And of course less deceit.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
/thread

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Journalism across the board has diminished tremendously. No more subscriptions, no more newspapers or magazines. Just clicks, just that one click from you, doesn't matter what's on the other side. And we have these devices we call phones, that enables us to do so 24-7.
There's still some that are holding onto the subscription model for as long as possible. One I always found amusing is college recruiting services like Scout, 247, and Rivals who charge $10/mo for "insider information" and analysis. Forget that the large majority of these self proclaimed recruiting experts are middle age fat fucks that never played the game before. But who is so interested in where 17-18 year olds are visiting college, that they're willing to pay $120/year to know it 5 minutes earlier than they'd find out on Twitter?

IMO, that's not really what it's about though. What they're really interested in is the status that goes along with being a "premium member". Having a tag under their screen name or whatever that separates them from the lowly scum that aren't willing to pay up.

And those sites have "premium forums" where the owners share all of their supposed insider info with the subscribers. Then they have the free forums, where the peasants hang out. So then you have premium members going onto the free boards to mock the non-paying members about knowing some 10th grader looked good at an all-star game before they read a tweet about it. These are grown men, mind you. It's fucking crazy what people are willing to spend to have e-status.

Brando06

May 29, 2015
This thread right here is gold. A ton of you guys probably have never heard of my site, but I am the founder of MMASucka.com. I agree that there are a ton of shills out there and that the MMA media game is built on an, I got the story first kind of basis.

MMASucka.com was created just over seven years ago and we recently partnered with Lastwordonsports.com to bring some serious push to our game. We have added over 20 writers to the team and don't look to be that outlet that simply grabs news from other people. but instead come up with our own creative ideas to bring our own little niche to the scene.

To stay active in the community however we have to pick up certain stories that all other sites have.

Just figured I'd give my two cents, as a hobbyist media member out there.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
ANY form of advertising,promoting,commercials ETC...basically people wanting my eyes or ears to see or hear their message or product...grinds my gears so bad,that I wish I was a hacker & completely fuck up their site,phone or wherever it`s coming from.I literally hate it so bad that I can`t see straight.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
There's still some that are holding onto the subscription model for as long as possible. One I always found amusing is college recruiting services like Scout, 247, and Rivals who charge $10/mo for "insider information" and analysis. Forget that the large majority of these self proclaimed recruiting experts are middle age fat fucks that never played the game before. But who is so interested in where 17-18 year olds are visiting college, that they're willing to pay $120/year to know it 5 minutes earlier than they'd find out on Twitter?

IMO, that's secondary. What they're really interested in is the status that goes along with being a "premium member". Having a tag under their screen name or whatever that separates them from the lowly scum that aren't willing to pay up.

And those sites have "premium forums" where the owners share all of their supposed insider info with the subscribers. Then they have the free forums, where the peasants hang out. So then you have premium members going onto the free boards to mock the non-paying members about knowing some 10th grader looked good at an all-star game before they read a tweet about it. These are grown men, mind you. It's fucking crazy what people are willing to spend to have e-status.
And the "premium" is of course just a sales pitch that some may have fallen for. But yes, online affirmation is a currency, a real legit currency that appeals to raw human emotion.