General Make Austin Great Again

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Austin's population is getting out of control. The urban sprawl is rampant and only getting worse.

Some of the recent numbers for Austin:

- average is 110 people move here each day

- the population here increased in 2016 by over 58k. That number factors in 40,273 migrants 27,375 births and 10,304 deaths, plus some statistical adjustments, the regional population climbed by 58,301 to an estimated 2,056,405

- the prediction is that the population will hit 3 million by 2030

We feel like our days our numbered here, it's just getting too hectic in Austin. We don't have any immediate plans, but I think somewhere down the road we will move somewhere a little quieter and calmer. On the positive side, I'm really glad we bought a house when the market was crap back in 2008 :D

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I make for a terrible Californian.

They can't handle my thug lifestyle here

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Saying that im in Texas and last night they wouldn't sell me more than one drink at a time.

I thought this was where stone cold is from?

jasonhightower

"You're not even training are you Frenchy?"
Jan 2, 2017
I haven't spent any time in Austin yet, but I feel I've lost the best window to visit. Should of done it back in the early 2000's.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I haven't spent any time in Austin yet, but I feel I've lost the best window to visit. Should of done it back in the early 2000's.
Maybe so, but Austin still has a lot to offer (in some ways more), and is worth a visit. It's just getting more crowded. A lot more crowded for certain events like SXSW and ACL. I moved here in 2004, and the change in the last 13 years is insane.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
the prediction is that the population will hit 3 million by 2030

When I still work and the tech industry I got several offers to move to Austin for jobs. At that time there were about 550000 people in the city.

3 million that fast is completely Ludacris.

If that's inside Austin proper and not just the metro area, that's a higher population than Houston proper ( though half the Houston metroplex)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
When I still work and the tech industry I got several offers to move to Austin for jobs. At that time there were about 550000 people in the city.

3 million that fast is completely Ludacris.

If that's inside of all some proper and not just the metro area, that's a higher population than Houston proper ( though half the Houston metroplex)
What year was that? Early 2000s?

Pretty sure that 3 million is the metro area, not Austin proper. It's all basically Austin though, the urban sprawl has filled in all of the gaps so everything has essentially merged together into one city.

It's unsustainable from the perspective of infrastructure, housing market or availability, etc. But it ain't gonna stop - money is being made. South Lamar is almost unrecognizable. There are fucking apartments built up right next to the Broken Spoke :mad:. I totally understand the business side of it all, but they are ruining the Austin so many of us loved. The growing pains of becoming a big city I suppose. But damn it, I wish they'd quit "Dallas-ing" Austin

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Austin's population is getting out of control. The urban sprawl is rampant and only getting worse.

Some of the recent numbers for Austin:

- average is 110 people move here each day

- the population here increased in 2016 by over 58k. That number factors in 40,273 migrants 27,375 births and 10,304 deaths, plus some statistical adjustments, the regional population climbed by 58,301 to an estimated 2,056,405

- the prediction is that the population will hit 3 million by 2030

We feel like our days our numbered here, it's just getting too hectic in Austin. We don't have any immediate plans, but I think somewhere down the road we will move somewhere a little quieter and calmer. On the positive side, I'm really glad we bought a house when the market was crap back in 2008 :D
Ever considered moving? Russia is great this time of year.....

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
An old-fashioned This cocktail is called an old-fashioned because that's pretty much what it is, and ordering it at any bar at any time is something only special sorts of dickheads do, because they know it's a pain in the ass to prepare -- there is a sugar cube and muddling involved. The drink is too ritzy for dives, too dated for ritzy bars, and even mixologists at faddish hipster joints will give a three-sweep eyeroll when some dickhead asks for one "made the right way!" Old-timey drinks like a Ramos gin fizz (needs a raw egg white and flower water), a brandy Alexander (gets fresh cream and fresh-ground nutmeg) or an old-fashioned are begrudged -- and usually made incorrectly, since bartenders aren't nineteenth-century vampires with eternal memories -- when old people order them, and when anyone under the age of 65 orders one, they're only doing it to look cool and impress people. Which is a dickhead move because the only thing you really have to do to impress someone in a bar is buy him or her a shot.