Maldonado among 8 fighters released from UFC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The UFC has cut eight fighters from its roster, including light heavyweight veteran Fabio Maldonado.

A source close to the promotion told MMAFighting.com that the UFC has released Maldonado, Chico Camus, Kevin Souza, Ericka Almeida, Bubba Bush, Mickael Lebout, Vernon Ramos and Jumabieke Tuerxun from their contracts.

Probably the most surprising name on the list is Kevin Souza (15-4). The 31-year-old featherweight recently had a 10-fight winning streak snapped by Chas Skelly in November. Prior to the loss, Souza went 3-0 in the UFC with a decision win over Felipe Arantes and a pair of knockouts over Mark Eddiva and Katsunori Kikuno.

Souza told MMAFighting.com he wasn’t officially informed by the promotion of his release.

"USADA emailed me saying I don’t need to inform my whereabouts because I wasn’t listed as a UFC fighter anymore," Souza said.

LINK: Fabio Maldonado among eight fighters released from the UFC

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Maldonado is the only name I'm familiar with on that list...and I watch too much MMA. That's how I know UFC's roster is bloated.

M

member 3289

That Kevin Souza one is bullshit though. I was really looking forward to his next fight.

God damn it

Fiend

Evil All The Time
Feb 3, 2015
Maldonado has a big heart, but this is probably good for his long term health.

M

member 3289

I posted it in the other thread but apparently Kevin Souza wasn't released, he had merely fought out his contract.

He's exciting as hell to watch and is 3-1 in the UFC so I expect he'll get a new contract.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I posted it in the other thread but apparently Kevin Souza wasn't released, he had merely fought out his contract.

He's exciting as hell to watch and is 3-1 in the UFC so I expect he'll get a new contract.
Thats good to hear. Sorta weird how he described how it went down though.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Maldonado wasn't the greatest fighter, but he was always great to watch!
Sad to see him cut after, especially after he accepted being thrown under the bus for the ufc when he went up and fought Stipe Miocic on a couple of weeks notice to save their card when none of their heavyweights would.

Left Hook Larry

3x Undisputed Monsters Champ/King of Buttertooths
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Maldonado wasn't the greatest fighter, but he was always great to watch!
Sad to see him cut after, especially after he accepted being thrown under the bus for the ufc when he went up and fought Stipe Miocic on a couple of weeks notice to save their card when none of their heavyweights would.
Maldonado has to have some brain issues. If they aren't there now they surely will be as he gets older. He uses his face to block punches.

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
They didn't inform the fighters first? Add it to the dick move list.
Class is not one of their attributes at Zuffa.

With all the money these pigs make, do you think they could hire someone to call these fighters with the news and thank them for their blood, sweat and tears? You know, the decent thing to do? Or would that cut too far into Dana's snow money or his gambling fund?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Class is not one of their attributes at Zuffa.

With all the money these pigs make, do you think they could hire someone to call these fighters with the news and thank them for their blood, sweat and tears? You know, the decent thing to do? Or would that cut too far into Dana's snow money or his gambling fund?
I dont get it. I mean, lack of resources or miscommunication cant be an excuse either, because they seem to have more employees than the US Govt. Like them not even having the class the tell Miesha she wasn't getting the Ronda fight, when like 2 weeks prior Dana stood up there and said she was. Then she wakes up one morning and finds a bunch of texts from friends, saying Holm got it. Nothing from the UFC. Wtf is that? Just no common courtesy for the fighters whatsoever, yet they talk this "we are partners w/ the fighters" bullshit all the time.