General Man Carries Blind Dog for 800 Miles So She Can Build Confidence Walking Trails Herself

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jerk

hard
May 10, 2019
  • Man Carries Blind Dog for 800 Miles So She Can Build Confidence Walking the Rest of the Epic Hike on Her Own
By
McKinley Corbley
-
Jun 3, 2019

Kyle Rohrig and his dog Katana used to complete thousand-mile hikes without breaking a sweat – but when the adventurous pup lost her vision, she also lost her confidence.

The dynamic duo had been halfway through completing the 2,650-mile hike of the Pacific Crest Trail when Katana’s left eye started to cloud over from glaucoma.

Rohrig and Katana took a break from the trail so she could undergo surgery for her vision loss, but they quickly returned to the west coast so they could finish the hike.

Two years later, Katana was blind in both eyes – and Rohrig was heartbroken to see his once-intrepid hiking companion anxiously attempting to maneuver their living room.

Instead of resigning his dog to retirement, however, Rohrig started formulating a plan to help Katana regain her confidence.

After doing some initial training with Katana, Rohrig eventually resolved to take her on the Florida Trail: a grueling 1,100-mile hike through the swamps and rivers of the Everglades.

The two began their journey in early January. Despite her disability, Katana would walk a few miles of the trail on her own every day. Whenever the companions encountered marshes or floodwaters, Rohrig would strap the 21-pound pup onto his backpack and carry her through the treacherous terrain.

After 72 days of hiking, they finished the trail in late March. Collectively, Rohrig had carried Katana for 800 miles – but since Katana had also walked 200 miles of the trail all on her own, she had undergone a noticeable transformation.

“I don’t know exactly how she did it, but she could lead me down the trail perfectly, without hitting a single obstacle while accounting for every twist and turn in the trail,” Rohrig told The Dodo. “Katana went from cautious and timid to confident and curious.”

“She’s not just dealing with her new circumstances — she’s thriving, and she’s thriving wherever she goes,” Rohrig added. “We have many more adventures planned, and I’m going to keep taking her until she ceases to enjoy them. We’re both living the dream.”

If you would like to keep up with their travels, you can follow Rohrig and Katana on their blog or their Instagram page.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NihzVC1R7h8

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Great Guy
Great Dog
Those Tree Trunks easily handle the extra weight

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
you love puckered stuff huh
I mean, he is a proctologist after all.

So yeah, he likes the puckers!

Just FYI: did you know Splinty @Splinty gives a TMMAC discount? He doesn’t use the latex gloves, and you’d be amazed at how much that saves you! He says it’s all an insurance thing, but I dunno.

During my first visit to Splint, I will say that I got nervous at first when I asked him where to put my pants after disrobing for the exam and all he said was “next to mine”. Besides that, he was a gentleman if you know what I mean. @Lars you should be proud of your dad!

;)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Blind Mountain bike racer Bobby McMullen.

Awesome.

I don’t know him personally, but there is a guy here in town that rides with a prosthetic arm. It basically clamps on to the grip/handlebar. I can’t imagine trying to ride rocky gnarly trail with only one arm controlling. From what I’ve heard, he still rides some burly shit.

Much respect.