Manager on McGregor fight: Khabib doesn’t want ‘soap opera drama show’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

It goes without saying that the lightweight division is one of the most (if not the most) stacked weight class in the UFC today. So much so that the company actually planned to hold a mini-tournament involving four of its top fighters and big names.

The supposed tournament never took off, but the plan was to have Khabib Nurmagomedov face Conor McGregor, while Georges St-Pierre fights Nate Diaz. The two winners of each fight will then meet at the end of the year.

Both Diaz and St-Pierre already expressed disinterest in facing each other, which is one of the likely reasons why the tournament plans never pushed through. But apparently, Team Khabib isn’t as interested in facing…

Manager shuts down McGregor fight: Khabib wants legacy fight, not ‘soap opera drama show’

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
the UFC should really stop mentioning that "tournament plan" who dafuq told them that was a good idea?

Why the fuk GSP would fight NATE? that makes absolute dog shit sense.

Conor was the champ who was stripped and Khabib has that belt, so they were supposed to fight anyways.

this "tourney plan" is nothing but an idea that never came to fruition.

it's like they're trying so hard to let everyone know, "we tried... but so and so are ungrateful punks and is the reason why it didn't happen, blame them."

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
the UFC should really stop mentioning that "tournament plan" who dafuq told them that was a good idea?

Conor was the champ who was stripped and Khabib has that belt, so they were supposed to fight anyways.

it's like they're trying so hard to let everyone know, "we tried... but so and so are ungrateful punks and is the reason why it didn't happen, blame them."
The UFC didn't release that
Helwani did

SensoriaUtopia

First 100
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

WME is retarded, once you grasp that everything else will make sense

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
The UFC didn't release that
Helwani did
but the idea is from the UFC and Helwani's somewhat of an indirect UFC schill now, he works for a company who works with the UFC

how other media organizations running with that stupid info in every article regarding Khabib, GSP, Nate, Conor is playing into the UFC hand.

ton of ideas get shut down, if it's not happening in reality, not even worth mentioning

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
but the idea is from the UFC and Helwani's somewhat of an indirect UFC schill now, he works for a company who works with the UFC

how other media organizations running with that stupid info in every article regarding Khabib, GSP, Nate, Conor is playing into the UFC hand.

ton of ideas get shut down, if it's not happening in reality, not even worth mentioning
You are not really suggesting that UFC told Helwani to run with that story are you?
lol

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
You are not really suggesting that UFC told Helwani to run with that story are you?
lol
No, Helwani is very nosy on his own (figuratively n literally)

Im just baffled at the idea, it shows how much they give zero fucks about MMA, just wants to make the most $$$ on the expanse of killing the sport

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
No, Helwani is very nosy on his own (figuratively n literally)

Im just baffled at the idea, it shows how much they give zero fucks about MMA, just wants to make the most $$$ on the expanse of killing the sport
Ok on first part, but I don't see how three fights that would do a combined 4m+ buys could kill the sport lol

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Ok on first part, but I don't see how three fights that would do a combined 4m+ buys could kill the sport lol
Let me rephrase it to “Killing the integrity of the sport.”

Lw division is already a mess because of the way they ran,

Like it or not, paper champ or whatnot, finally Division is back on order with an actual champ who’s
Active and they’re gonna fuk that up by involving Nate (high draw but irrelevant to the belt), GSP(high draw but irrelevant opponent to Nate)

From a fan’s perspective, who da hell wanta to watch Nate/Gsp? Going to look exactly like Nate/McDonald or Nick/Gsp, plus both don’t give a two shits about fighting each other.

Conor/Khabib is the fight that is supposed to happen naturally regardless of them adding it as part of a tournament, that’s all wolf tix and is all come down to trying to make more $$$ by UFC or WME.

Next title fight should be someone who deserves it that’s been fighting in the division or if they want to grant GsP chance at the lw strap, they should just do that,

Wtf is a tournament for? Plus only 4 men? What about the other 20 lws who’s been fighting their asses off? They’re not part of it cuz WmE has to make their 4million cuz they were bamboozled into being ripped off when they bought the company??

yes! it is killing the sport. Cuz they keep up with this type of shit, the deeper they get into, it'll be harder to climb back out of it later when they feel they shouldn't do it anymore. UFC's looking more and more like WWF,
proof: CM PUNK fights again in the Main Card this week, yeah they'll have better ratings but to me, that's a clear sign of sports being killed~ cuz these money fights and CM punk isn't the reason why UFC is UFC. UFC became UFC when the Fertitta ran the company with lots of integrity.

Last edited:

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
UFC became UFC when the Fertitta ran the company with lots of integrity.
Lorenzo personally signed CM Punk & told him that he did not want him having any warm up fights.
You are way off about the past integrity
Brock got a title fight off of one win & that win was over a journeyman
James Toney fought on a co-main without any MMA training

Also the current pay structure is in place because Lorenzo made it that way. if you think paying the fighters the way Lorenzo did is "integrity" please throw out all calculators in your possession because they are broken ;)

If anything I am disappointed that WME kept most of the way UFC was run instead of changing it. They bought a company set up as an ATM & kept it that way.

You are also way off about the "bamboozled" since WME are making record profits & UFC is worth more than ever & much more than they bought it for, so it is the exact opposite of "ripped off"

You can feel how you feel & that is cool, but the evidence points to the exact opposite of a lot of your post.

You have this glorified view of how things should be & at no time in prize fighting history has it ever been that way.
Ali fought cans for the title in between the famous fights
Look at some of Tyson's opponents rankings

Prize fighting is about the PRIZE & that prize is money
it has & always will be about that

Every time someone said "UFC is killing the sport" because the management made a decision that a poster did not like, it never killed the sport & the company grew & grew

Its easy to be judgmental about what to do when you are not the person that can make the money in a business that is about making money.

Does CM deserve to be on the card skill wise? Fuck no
But UFC put on about 900 fights in the 2 year period of "Punk" & he only fought twice.
Talk about over-reacting
Thinking 3 fights that might be the 3 biggest fights in 3 years will "kill the sport" is asinine

Mayweather fought Conor in a glorified sparring match & guess what? Boxing is not killed (although GGG/Canelo was hurt lol)

UFC just made a record $275-300m profit in a down year & you think think the owners were "bamboozled" & "ripped off"?
That is pretty much the opposite of the truth.
Again see above calculator idea ;)

There are loads of things to dislike about MMA in 2018, but you are making false claims & hyperbolic reactions

Last edited:

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
If anything I am disappointed that WME kept most of the way UFC was run instead of changing it. They bought a company set up as an ATM & kept it that way.
I know I am quoting myself lol

i wanted to elaborate without taking the focus away from the above post.

When WME & the multi-billionaire investors took over, I didn't think that fighter pay would drastically go up % wise, but I thought that since WME's wheelhouse is making deals & entertainment, that the fighters would be getting much more publicity & chances to earn away from the actual fight.
I'm shocked that WME have not added sponsors to Reebok so fighters could get more money.
I'm shocked that WME are doing nothing with their power to get fighters on shows like Kimmel, Conan (both WME guys) & other shows like Stern & Fallon.
Also their is zero Hollywood crossover.
No commercials, no TV guest shots, no movie tie-ins.

All of the above are no-brainers IMO.

What they did was keep the Lorenzo formula in tact without any changes

I also expected that production would be ramped up in 2019 & the presentation be a lot more entertaining.
i think a big part of UFC interest going down is it looks the same way it did 15 years ago.
The only difference is they have more boring commentators in Anik (zzzzzzz) & Cruz (brilliant but comatose inducing to casuals).

Somehow an entertainment company manages UFC & UFC is less entertaining than ever.

Last edited:

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
I know I am quoting myself lol

i wanted to elaborate without taking the focus away from the above post.

When WME & the multi-billionaire investors took over, I didn't think that fighter pay would drastically go up % wise, but I thought that since WME's wheelhouse is making deals & entertainment, that the fighters would be getting much more publicity & chances to earn away from the actual fight.
I'm shocked that WME have not added sponsors to Reebok so fighters could get more money.
I'm shocked that WME are doing nothing with their power to get fighters on shows like Kimmel, Conan (both WME guys) & other shows like Stern & Fallon.
Also their is zero Hollywood crossover.
No commercials, no TV guest shots, no movie tie-ins.

All of the above are no-brainers IMO.

What they did was keep the Lorenzo formula in tact without any changes

I also expected that production would be ramped up in 2019 & the presentation be a lot more entertaining.
i think a big part of UFC interest going down is it looks the same way it did 15 years ago.
The only difference is they have more boring commentators in Anik (zzzzzzz) & Cruz (brilliant but comatose educing to casuals).

Somehow an entertainment company manages UFC & UFC is less entertaining than ever.
well I can't argue with any of the numbers, sounds legit.

I was talking more about integrity in match-making and other fighters in the division.

If it makes it for better pay to be a champ, and more exposure for even being a contender, and if there is some other plan to cockblock other fighters from getting those opportunities just to get more money, it's FUCT UP man~

I'm not aware of the numbers, that's your department, but you're saying that the matchmaking during Zuffa era and now are the same???

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
well I can't argue with any of the numbers, sounds legit.

I was talking more about integrity in match-making and other fighters in the division.

If it makes it for better pay to be a champ, and more exposure for even being a contender, and if there is some other plan to cockblock other fighters from getting those opportunities just to get more money, it's FUCT UP man~

I'm not aware of the numbers, that's your department, but you're saying that the matchmaking during Zuffa era and now are the same???
Its all good man
I was just discussing the "killing" part

I really don't see a big difference in matchmaking
It was always about the $$$
What I see is fighters themselves fighting less since the money improved.
That makes it tougher
When main event guys were making less they were hungrier.
Also there are much more injuries now than ever & that fucks up things.
No idea if fighters are milking it or if USADA testing makes injuries more prone to occur, but the last few years have sucked for fighters dropping out or being out.

I get being frustrated. My interest in UFC is at a lower point than its been in 5-6 years, but nothing is dying or being killed.
Its just a real 'blah" period.
personally I think if UFC did those 3 fights, it would add excitement.
Having a big card every 3-4 months helps UFC stay hot in the minds of people
If you feel like it wouldn't for you personally, I respect that.

tang

top korean roofer
Oct 21, 2015
Its all good man
I was just discussing the "killing" part

I really don't see a big difference in matchmaking
It was always about the $$$
What I see is fighters themselves fighting less since the money improved.
That makes it tougher
When main event guys were making less they were hungrier.
Also there are much more injuries now than ever & that fucks up things.
No idea if fighters are milking it or if USADA testing makes injuries more prone to occur, but the last few years have sucked for fighters dropping out or being out.

I get being frustrated. My interest in UFC is at a lower point than its been in 5-6 years, but nothing is dying or being killed.
Its just a real 'blah" period.
personally I think if UFC did those 3 fights, it would add excitement.
Having a big card every 3-4 months helps UFC stay hot in the minds of people
If you feel like it wouldn't for you personally, I respect that.
I see.

thanks for explaining all that, I get it now.

I personally wish relevant fights meet the draw / pay, but I guess nothing is perfect.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
I see.

thanks for explaining all that, I get it now.

I personally wish relevant fights meet the draw / pay, but I guess nothing is perfect.
I get that man, I do
But it is a real imperfect sport (combat sports)
It always was & always will be

While I been bored by it more the last year, I still look at it as I watch fights for very little investment
If you don't think a PPV is worth it, don't pay
For what i give, I get a lot in return
just because it was better at one time doesn't mean it sucks now

Look at Boxing & the ebb & flows it had every 5 years.
Its the way it is.

MLB was supposed to be dead in the mid 90's with the mid-season strike they had
Then The Yankees became a dynasty & it took off again

NBA was cool until The Warriors & Lebron ignited it

NFL interest is down this year, but it will rebound (pun)

Yankees were blah when Jeter retired & now they have Judge as the new Jeter.

SCADA

Posting Machine
Oct 10, 2016
Ali is a fukin sleaze ball....

That is all I came to say.

aghof

an person
Apr 15, 2015
oh come on, Khabib is a General Hospital junkie if I've ever seen one