Manager: The biggest money fight for Jon Jones right now is Brock Lesnar

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Manager Malki Kawa explains why Jon Jones is eyeing for a super fight against Brock Lesnar, instead of fighting the next title contender at 205 pounds.

On Saturday night at UFC 214, Jon Jones dealt Daniel Cormier his first career stoppage loss. Now that he has moved past their almost three-year rivalry, Bones is now eyeing for a super-fight against former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar.

As Jones himself explained during his post-fight press conference, he along with his coaches at the renowned Jackson-Winkeljohn Academy in Albuquerque feel that they actually have a good chance of winning against Lesnar. Jones added that it would also be good for the sport of MMA, and would bring in the fan base that Lesnar has with him.

But from a business standpoint, manager Malki Kawa is…

Manager talks why Jones wants Lesnar over title defense

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
in terms of Risk/Reward, a Bisping fight at 205 is probably a better number. Mike is a striker with little offensive wrestling. So Bisping while Lesnar kicks it off with USADA, then Lesnar. Lesnar is a big, aggressive wrestler. That's a little more of a handful for JBJ, even though the payday will be bigger.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
in terms of Risk/Reward, a Bisping fight at 205 is probably a better number. Mike is a striker with little offensive wrestling. So Bisping while Lesnar kicks it off with USADA, then Lesnar. Lesnar is a big, aggressive wrestler. That's a little more of a handful for JBJ, even though the payday will be bigger.
I get that Bisping isn't well liked but a death sentence is a bit much.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
would be fun to see JBJ go full "Degeneration-X" and start showing up to tapings...making fun of Brock and WWE outside the venue...the whole spiel.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
I can't see any other outcome but Brock sitting on JBJ and ground & pound. Under K-1 rules it could be like Bonjasky vs Choi Hong-Man.

But it's not

EDIT: Thinking of Semmy Shilt vs Nog but does JBJ have the submissions to pull that from the bottom?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I can't see any other outcome but Brock sitting on JBJ and ground & pound. Under K-1 rules it could be like Bonjasky vs Choi Hong-Man.

But it's not

EDIT: Thinking of Semmy Shilt vs Nog but does JBJ have the submissions to pull that from the bottom?
If this ever did happen Jon would win imo. Way more tools, better cardio and he'd probably come in around 235 I'd guess. Jones is simply too good for an older one dimensional HW to beat. Brock would really struggle to close the distance to get the TD.

GSPTrainingInAPool

Man on the silver mountain
Dec 1, 2015
If this ever did happen Jon would win imo. Way more tools, better cardio and he'd probably come in around 235 I'd guess. Jones is simply too good for an older one dimensional HW to beat. Brock would really struggle to close the distance to get the TD.
gad i forgot that he's 40....Brock just take your beating and get that pay day

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Let me preface this statement by saying, I'm not suggesting that any way shape or form that I think this fight favors a 40 year old part timer. But Jon's reach advantage goes away if he fights Brock. We saw last year that Brock is still extremely fast (for a man his size) and extremely strong. He's definitely one dimensional, but outside of spamming oblique kicks I don't think we have nay reason to believe that Brock can't score a takedown on JBJ. Now whether his gas tank will allow him to do it for 3-5 rounds is another story.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Let me preface this statement by saying, I'm not suggesting that any way shape or form that I think this fight favors a 40 year old part timer. But Jon's reach advantage goes away if he fights Brock. We saw last year that Brock is still extremely fast (for a man his size) and extremely strong. He's definitely one dimensional, but outside of spamming oblique kicks I don't think we have nay reason to believe that Brock can't score a takedown on JBJ. Now whether his gas tank will allow him to do it for 3-5 rounds is another story.
Sort of agree based on measurements but Brock doesn't know how to use his reach at all. I think I younger quicker guy like Jon with a Jackson's game plan would circle for 3 rounds until Brocks gassed then beat him up from range.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Sort of agree based on measurements but Brock doesn't know how to use his reach at all. I think I younger quicker guy like Jon with a Jackson's game plan would circle for 3 rounds until Brocks gassed then beat him up from range.
Very possible. Mind you Brock did man rape a master of maintaining distance 12 months ago. Like I said, I'm not saying "OMG, Brock will kill him!!!" but the game plan we just saw JBJ use against DC wouldn't have worked on Brock. From what I remember of JBJ's fights he typically dominates the clinch to dictate fight location. I'm not sure he can do that with Brock.

Realistically the fight I still want to see is Brock/Fedor. At this point I'm pretty sure Brock will rip Fedor's arm off and beat him over the head with it, but I'd still like to see it.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Very possible. Mind you Brock did man rape a master of maintaining distance 12 months ago. Like I said, I'm not saying "OMG, Brock will kill him!!!" but the game plan we just saw JBJ use against DC wouldn't have worked on Brock. From what I remember of JBJ's fights he typically dominates the clinch to dictate fight location. I'm not sure he can do that with Brock.

Realistically the fight I still want to see is Brock/Fedor. At this point I'm pretty sure Brock will rip Fedor's arm off and beat him over the head with it, but I'd still like to see it.
Tbh I wasn't impressed with Hunt or Lesnar in the last fight. I thought they both looked out of place and their game plans were focused on not losing as opposed to winning. I think man tape is a massive stretch h personally.

I agree that playing the clinch game with Lesnar may not be Jon's best option but Randy controlled Lesnar there in that fight pretty good and he was 45 and 40 lbs smaller.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
I think man tape is a massive stretch h personally.
I'm going to assume you meant "man rape":

Hunt with vastly superior striking and notably good distance control wasn't able to get a hand on Brock or keep him at bay the way he typically is. Even the second round where almost the entire thing was spent on the feet.

Randy controlled Lesnar there in that fight pretty good and he was 45 and 40 lbs smaller.
He also got TKO'ed in the 2nd.

For perspective on relative sizes. JBJ with the Rock:

The Rock with Brock:

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
When has that ever stopped the UFC?
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are you saying the 0-0 two division champion who's never defended either title shouldn't be fighting one of the top 2 or 3 boxers to ever live?