Man's Concrete Home Survives Raging Wildfire in Washington

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

A Washington man’s cement home is still standing after surviving a raging wildfire that passed his home and scorched acres of surrounding land.

John Belles said he was prepared for the inevitability of a wildfire when he built his thin-shelled, concrete dome in 1999 surrounded by dry fields in Okanogan County.

Earlier this week, Belles just happened to be working 30 miles out of town when he received a voicemail from a friend warning him about a fire approaching his home, he told ABC News today.

After shuttling three vehicles off his property, Belles said he realized he had to hurry as the fire was only a couple hundred yards away.

“The fire was getting close, in fact, there was a firefighter there at the time who got trapped inside when I shut the gate inadvertently,” Belles said.

“I grabbed the hose, soaked my clothing down and doused the north side of the building as much as I could. [The fire] got close enough that it was super heated and getting uncomfortable out there in the smoke. I went inside, shut the door behind me and watched it move by.”

Belles said he waited out the flames for about a minute as the fire passed by his home.

“The fire just roared across my property. I could see the flames dancing up over the windows,” Belles said.

The only damage sustained was a service pole, which resulted in a loss of power.

“The building survived as it’s supposed to. I was surprised the outside of the building didn’t have any damage at all. The whole 20 acres is just scorched.”

Belles’ three-layered cement home is made up of polyvinyl chloride, polyurethane and cement, he said.

Feb 28, 2015
When I saw this on the local news I thought you know, it makes a lot of sense. Look at places like Puerto Rico, a good majority of the houses are built out of cement and have metal shutters for windows because Hurricanes are a real threat. So, maybe in fire zones we should think about building something other than kindling houses.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
When I saw this on the local news I thought you know, it makes a lot of sense. Look at places like Puerto Rico, a good majority of the houses are built out of cement and have metal shutters for windows because Hurricanes are a real threat. So, maybe in fire zones we should think about building something other than kindling houses.
The practice of trailer parks in Oklahoma come to mind.