Marathon Training

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
I’m 3 weeks into a 26 week marathon training program. I’m using the Nike Run Club app. Where are the sites other runners?

M

member 3289

I imagine you're gradually increasing the distance you run?

Were you an active runner before this? What distance did you start with in week 1?

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
I imagine you're gradually increasing the distance you run?

Were you an active runner before this? What distance did you start with in week 1?
Nope not a runner at all. Started slowly in June. I think the first run was not for distance or speed. It was a 15 minute slow paced run.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Do you have a sneaker preference for running?
Best shoe is the one that works for you.

This is the best resource on the net for honing in on a few options
Shoes

Beyond that, go to a running shoe store or just blow a bunch of cash trying a bunch like I did lol.
I'm a huge fan of maxmilist shoes like hokas but they aren't required and they don't prevent injury for experienced runners. But they are good training tools for newer runners.

As @conor mcgregor nut hugger there is one definite best marathon shoe right now:

Nike Vaporfly 4%
Nike Vaporfly 4%

It's objectively the fastest marathon shoe and does not last very long. You probably need an 8 minute mile or faster to take real advantage of it due to the nature of the spring.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Where are the sites other runners?
I run because Uncle Sam tells me to do so.
I hate it.
On the other hand, I love the nerd side of learning shoes, equipment, training regimens, etc. So for that, and weekly improvements, I run.
I only care about 5k running though. I'd like the fastest 3 miles I can do as that is a distance I could use.

On the other hand, long distance running is the only physical trait humans do better than every other animal. We can run down a horse over time if we are trained for it. In a way that makes long distance runners the best athletes.

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
Splinty @Splinty I've got 2 main goals. To run a Marathon in the next year, and to try to get back to my military 3 mile time of 18 minutes (that was almost 30 years ago). My best 5k recently has been 28 minutes. Dont know if its possible, but I love a challenge.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Splinty @Splinty I've got 2 main goals. To run a Marathon in the next year, and to try to get back to my military 3 mile time of 18 minutes (that was almost 30 years ago). My best 5k recently has been 28 minutes. Dont know if its possible, but I love a challenge.
Set some mid goals in there my man, lest you burn out over and over like me and others that struggle to keep running...

One thing would be to switch to training goals..."I will run X numbers of times/miles per week"
Running is one of those things that rewards time on the road. If you're lifting weights, you're wasting your time "just moving" (ie not staying focused and loading yourself), if your goal is bigger leaner stronger. Have to make them count.
Running however rewards slow runs even when you are just recovering and putting in the motions. So set a mile and/or number of runs goal and your other goals will follow.

Darqnezz

Apr 25, 2015
Set some mid goals in there my man, lest you burn out over and over like me and others that struggle to keep running...

One thing would be to switch to training goals..."I will run X numbers of times/miles per week"
Running is one of those things that rewards time on the road. If you're lifting weights, you're wasting your time "just moving" (ie not staying focused and loading yourself), if your goal is bigger leaner stronger. Have to make them count.
Running however rewards slow runs even when you are just recovering and putting in the motions. So set a mile and/or number of runs goal and your other goals will follow.
I'm following a marathon program on the Nike Run Club app. Running 3-4 times a week varying between speed, long, & recovery runs. It also has workouts programmed into it.

MMAPlaywright

First 100
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
I’m a lifelong runner. Love it.

I have run 5k or more 30 out of the last 40 days. I’m about to go run here in a few minutes.

I have two pairs of Newtons that I alternate. I love them but imagine they’re not for everyone.

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
run farther,often and faster and ice your ankles/feet after. by the way I'm not a runner although I can type kinda fast.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I’m a lifelong runner. Love it.

I have run 5k or more 30 out of the last 40 days. I’m about to go run here in a few minutes.

I have two pairs of Newtons that I alternate. I love them but imagine they’re not for everyone.

impressive and I am sure rewarding
I need to get my run on again

ronniejohnson09

Aug 2, 2022
I am a martial arts addict. But running is also a key factor in it as well. While running allows intense breathing which helps the muscles to work hard. Running increases aerobic respiration in which the body uses oxygen for energy supply. So it will make muscles strong which will help in the BJJ practice.

lamarclark09

Oct 20, 2022
This is really great to have the opportunity to Marathon. I hope you participated in this one. Please tell us about your journey and all the complete processes and progress.