Mark Henry takes blame for Alvarez’s illegal elbow vs. Poirier

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

The turning point in the UFC on FOX 30 main event rematch between Eddie Alvarez and Dustin Poirier was Alvarez’s illegal elbow on Poirier, which combined with other infractions, led to referee Marc Goddard to stand Alvarez up from mount. Poirier would get the TKO win not too long after that sequence.

Observant viewers happened to catch Mark Henry, Alvarez’s longtime coach, seemingly instructing the former Bellator and UFC lightweight champion to throw that strike.

Speaking to MMAjunkie, Henry explained what happened and why he’s putting…

Coach Mark Henry takes blame for Eddie Alvarez’s illegal elbow vs. Dustin Poirier

Aj Garcia

Pro Fighter
Jun 23, 2018
I can’t hate on the guy too much. I’ve been to a hundred rules meetings and I always thought that rule only meant for the head. I had no idea it was illegal to the body.

NHBStriker

Posting Machine
Sep 5, 2015
I can’t hate on the guy too much. I’ve been to a hundred rules meetings and I always thought that rule only meant for the head. I had no idea it was illegal to the body.
I haven't been to a hundred rules meetings (props for that by the way), but I had no idea either.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Wow, that's interesting. Coach has to feel like shit after that one. How long has Eddie been with Mark henry?

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Wow, that's interesting. Mark Henry must feel awful.........but what the fuck is with the rule that prevents a 12/6 elbow to the collarbone when you can axe kick the shit out of that same collarbone?

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Oops! My first post wasn't showing on my browser, so I redid it and made it better, turning it into an new and improved duplicate post, resulting in this explanation post which resulted in me dominating the shit out of this thread. Sorry!

Last edited:

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Wow, that's interesting. Mark Henry must feel awful.........but what the fuck is with the rule that prevents a 12/6 elbow to the collarbone when you can axe kick the shit out of that same collarbone?
you can also land any other form of elbow on a collarbone...makes zero sense

collarbone privilege IMO

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
With respect, while confusion regarding exactly what constitutes a 12-6 elbow is understandable, there is absolutely nothing in the rules that says anything about it only applying to the head, so that's simply a failure of comprehension on your end.

Concerns about strikes to the spine were part of the reason for the rule's existence.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
A valid question for a rules committee meeting, but irrelevant to Goddard. His job is to ask himself 'is rule A being broken?' not 'should rule A exist?'

Also, for anyone crying over the standup, Alvarez was also grabbing the fence, which makes all this whining irrelevant anyway.

sgotwalks

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
A valid question for a rules committee meeting, but irrelevant to Goddard. His job is to ask himself 'is rule A being broken?' not 'should rule A exist?'

Also, for anyone crying over the standup, Alvarez was also grabbing the fence, which makes all this whining irrelevant anyway.
You're absolutely right. I never questioned Goddard when it took place, but then again I wasn't questioning the corner either until I saw this thread. I agree with the fence grabs too, and I was pulling heavily for Alvarez. I like Poirier and I'm happy for him, he's earned everything he's achieved, and I'd be happy to see him win a belt in his career, but I doubt it will happen.

Sheepdog

Dec 1, 2015
You're absolutely right. I never questioned Goddard when it took place, but then again I wasn't questioning the corner either until I saw this thread. I agree with the fence grabs too, and I was pulling heavily for Alvarez. I like Poirier and I'm happy for him, he's earned everything he's achieved, and I'd be happy to see him win a belt in his career, but I doubt it will happen.
Agreed. The problem is that so many people aren't capable of being able to separate the two issues - their brain tells them 'I don't like the 12-6 rule, therefore Goddard made a mistake'. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a MMA fan that does actually like the 12-6 rule.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
He should take the blame. Go back and watch the fight. If you slow it down and watch frame by frame you can see Henry jump in the cage and push Eddie out of the way and throw the illegal blows, then jump back out.