Mark Schultz, wrestling demigod, achieves BJJ black belt

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
from the incomparable Pedro Sauer.

amazing to see someone so credentialed and accomplished continue the pursuit of grappling excellence.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
from the incomparable Pedro Sauer.

amazing to see someone so credentialed and accomplished continue the pursuit of grappling excellence.
Imho had he chose to take MMA serious, he would've been the world Champ

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
Nobody was stopping his takedowns or top control.. Sub D, striking and experience he'd maul everybody.
i trained for a bit with a former BYU wrestler. After his fight, Mark was called by the president of BYU for a meeting in his office, and the pres told Mark that if you want to work here, you have to quit fighting. Mark had (IIRC) 3 kids already, so he couldn't lose his health insurance and income, and he didn't want to uproot his family and move to another state...and there was the whole thing of how can you be a Good Mormon and participate in Human Cockfighting?

but basically Mark was the Rickson of American submission wrestling at that time.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
i trained for a bit with a former BYU wrestler. After his fight, Mark was called by the president of BYU for a meeting in his office, and the pres told Mark that if you want to work here, you have to quit fighting. Mark had (IIRC) 3 kids already, so he couldn't lose his health insurance and income, and he didn't want to uproot his family and move to another state...and there was the whole thing of how can you be a Good Mormon and participate in Human Cockfighting?

but basically Mark was the Rickson of American submission wrestling at that time.
That rickson analogy is spot on!

Mace

Prophet of poon
Oct 29, 2015
This is awesome to see. My nephews are both a few years out of high school now but their wrestling coach used him as an example regularly. Good for him.

crowbar

First 200
Jan 27, 2015
Did he ever get new teeth? I know he set up a fund,but I don`t know if he ever got them.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Imho had he chose to take MMA serious, he would've been the world Champ
I agree he would have been a more skilled randy couture or a cormier. the only positive about not having an mma career is he probably would not have to deal with CTE.

Last edited:

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
I agree he would have been a more skilled randy couture or a cormier. the only positivw about not having an mma career is he probably would have to deal with CTE.
imagine how many dudes he would have choked out with the ol "farm-aconda" AKA "Schultz Headlock"...

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
imagine how many dudes he would have choked out with the ol "farm-aconda" AKA "Schultz Headlock"...
He'd mauled everybody, using shit ppl never seen used in a fight.. He would sub ppl with a full Nelson and tons of neck cranks.. He'd been very similar to Khabib at HW.. Tying ppl wrists up all while pummeling them .. Him and his brother are 2 of the All time greats in American wrestling, different breed..Apex predators among apex predators..