Marlins star Jose Fernandez was legally drunk, had cocaine in blood when he died

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez was legally drunk and had cocaine in his system when he died in a boat crash off South Beach last month, according to a toxicology report released Saturday.

While his two companions had alcohol in their systems, neither was legally drunk, the reports show. However, one of them, Eduardo Rivero, also had cocaine in his blood, the reports show.

Fernandez had a blood-alcohol content level of 0.147, well above the legal limit of .08. Other fluids in his body measured at exactly double the legal limit.

The release of the toxicology reports came one day after the Miami Herald sued the Miami-Dade Medical Examiner’s Office seeking release of the documents.

The crash was being investigated by the Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, which initially claimed the documents could not be released because of an active criminal investigation. However, the Herald contended that no criminal charges could be brought because everyone on board died.

The records were released after the FWC declined to be a party to the lawsuit.

Fernandez, 24, died when his 32-foot boat plowed into the Government Cut north jetty before dawn on Sept. 25. Two others on the boat with him, Emilio Jesus Macias, 27, and 25-year-old Rivero were also killed.

The reports do not indicate who was piloting the vessel, which was owned by Fernandez.

Read more here: Marlins star Jose Fernandez was legally drunk, had cocaine in blood when he died, medical examiner says

M

member 3289

I live in the Miami metropolitan area and I honestly do not know one person who doesn't have cocaine in their blood. Not one

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
I live in the Miami metropolitan area and I honestly do not know one person who doesn't have cocaine in their blood. Not one
I have driven a boat drunk several times ,I have never met anyone who hasn't had a few beers whilst doing it,ees normal, the cocaine kind of sobers you up from the booze too.

M

member 3289

I have driven a boat drunk several times ,I have never met anyone who hasn't had a few beers whilst doing it,ees normal, the cocaine kind of sobers you up from the booze too.
If you have money in South Florida you own a boat.

There are police boats that patrol the intracoastal but the open sea is just too vast, so basically people go out boating/fishing and get drunk as shit and drive their boats really fast. A little reckless to do at night when you're that close to shore, but not all that uncommon.

Also, cocaine is relatively easy to get down here, and it is definitely still a rich person's drug.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
If you have money in South Florida you own a boat.

There are police boats that patrol the intracoastal but the open sea is just too vast, so basically people go out boating/fishing and get drunk as shot and drive their boats really fast. A little reckless to do at night when you're that close to shore, but not all that uncommon.

Also, cocaine is relatively easy to get down here, and it is definitely still a rich person's drug.
Same thing happens in long beach they only patrol a small portion of the boating area once we hit the palos verdes penninsula it is open ocean.no cops only coast guard and navy but they only rescue people they don't police.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
.14 is only about 4 or 5 beers
Yeah. No biggie there. There's no telling who was driving. Any boat trip I've been on everyone took turns at the wheel.

Not smart to be going that fast at night, but I don't know that I'd blame it on intoxication. Macho guys are gonna do macho things.