Matt Hughes reiterates comeback plans: ‘I didn’t want to retire in the first place’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

In mid-March, talks about the return of UFC Hall-of-Famer Matt Hughes first surfaced. On Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, the 43-year-old former welterweight champion restated his comeback plans.

Prior to retirement, Hughes was on a two-fight skid, losing to B.J. Penn and Josh Koscheck, both via first round knockout. Speaking to Ariel Helwani, he clarified that he decided to retire in 2013 not because he wanted to. Rather, it was upon the advice of his wife, and UFC president Dana White.

“I would love to come back. I didn’t want to retire in the first place,” Hughes said (via MMA Fighting). “My wife said she didn’t want me to fight anymore. It wasn’t as…

Hughes: ‘I didn’t want to retire in the first place’

Howard Moon

Posting Machine
Sep 6, 2015
Is it April 1st?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Farmer get beaten down by modern fighters, but I can't believe he thinks he can be relevant today.

Or is he just angling for 'superfights' against other dinosaurs?

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Either that or they just have itch to compete again. Matt, okay...maybe. He didn't take too much damage throughout his career. But Chuck needs to stay retired. His chin is gone gone.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Either that or they just have itch to compete again. Matt, okay...maybe. He didn't take too much damage throughout his career. But Chuck needs to stay retired. His chin is gone gone.
Matt should avoid it as much as anyone. Let's not forget how terrible he looked against BJ and Kos.

Actually... Sure.. I'd love to see him fight again.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
knocked out by koscheck.wants to return vs todays new breed of mma fighters. good luck with that

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
bad idea
unless royce wants it again and even then it may be closer than before

just time to let it go and be remembered as a pioneer

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
“My wife said she didn’t want me to fight anymore. It wasn’t as…

truth

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
They think they can come back for a big payday of the oldschool hype.
I agree. But getting knocked out in live TV surely is barely worth the money for a bone fide legend. I get it. But I just feel the status of going out because you were losing to better people with a minor amount of pride intact is just lost completely.

Matt Hughes might be a cock of a human being but I've basically forgotten that he got murked towards the end. His run was dominant and the trigg 2 fight my favourite of all time. Why does getting older, less physically able and a little forgotten to the masses mean you should come back. Go to a speaking coach and get on the mic for the UFC. They'll pay you. Or if they won't bellator or someone will. Imagine that. Matt Hughes doing breakdowns of someone's wrestling in a fight. I'd listen to him over DC cos DC is so gash on the mic imo.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
I like the idea if a 'legends' spectacle match once in a while. Theres a lot of fights for him. Royce, renzo, BJ, Uriah, Carlos newton, Sean sherk, Matt serra Etc. It doesn't need to count in a division, just give the old fighters a chance to get back in once in a while and I'm sure they'd be enough audience interest.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I like the idea if a 'legends' spectacle match once in a while. Theres a lot of fights for him. Royce, renzo, BJ, Uriah, Carlos newton, Sean sherk, Matt serra Etc. It doesn't need to count in a division, just give the old fighters a chance to get back in once in a while and I'm sure they'd be enough audience interest.
Lol. At this point Serra vs Bob Sapp is more likely than Serra vs anyone under 240.

Atto

Chinese Virus
Feb 11, 2016
Thank you Matt for providing us this opportunity of watching you get knocked the fucked out again and again..
Can't thank you enough.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I agree. But getting knocked out in live TV surely is barely worth the money for a bone fide legend. I get it. But I just feel the status of going out because you were losing to better people with a minor amount of pride intact is just lost completely.

Matt Hughes might be a cock of a human being but I've basically forgotten that he got murked towards the end. His run was dominant and the trigg 2 fight my favourite of all time. Why does getting older, less physically able and a little forgotten to the masses mean you should come back. Go to a speaking coach and get on the mic for the UFC. They'll pay you. Or if they won't bellator or someone will. Imagine that. Matt Hughes doing breakdowns of someone's wrestling in a fight. I'd listen to him over DC cos DC is so gash on the mic imo.
Were u in the navy?

ShakaSway

The Unintentional Voice of Reason
Oct 18, 2015
If I feel as uncomfortable about just hearing comeback rumor as much as I felt watching Cain vs JDS 2-3 or Rory vs Beej....

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
What's with the comebacks? Is that the state of MMA today?

I have no interest seeing retirees coming back, not even GSP. This sport is a young man's game, with a few exceptions. BJ Penn is an example of why not to come back. These fighters have left great careers behind, great legacies, only to taint them for a few extra dollars. I just think it is a sad thing to watch, to have someone come back from retirement. Unless they have a serious chance for a run at the belt at the top of the chain.

I don't like the league of legends concept, all I see is old fighters trying to relive their golden days, somewhat of a circus. I rememebr when Matt was still active and Royce came back, it was just another sad scene to be witnessed. Now, Matt wants to be on the floor, unconcious, wondering what happened. Will not watch, I find that it signifies that the sport has reached its peak and is on a downward spiral. So no.