Matt Hughes running like the wind blows

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Do we know if he has regained his full cognitive abilities? Seems like he would have some TBI.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes suffered severe injuries in a near-fatal train accident in 2017. Now he’s going after the company he alleges caused the crash.

Hughes, via his attorneys, allege Norfolk Southern Railway and several of its employees were negligent in failing to warn motorists of dangerous conditions at the railroad crossing where his Chevrolet Z71 truck collided with a northbound train. His estranged wife, Audra, is named as a co-plaintiff.

Per the complaint, filed June in Montgomery County (Ill.) Circuit Court, Hughes’ attorneys claim Norfolk Southern Railway didn’t have adequate warning signs at the crossing and knew it “posed a grave danger to the public” given its placement and visibility.

Hughes’ attorneys also claim the ex-UFC welterweight champ was lawfully driving when his vehicle when he was struck and “thrown dozens of feet,” resulting in “severe, progressive and permanent brain and bodily injuries,” according to the complaint.

Matt and Audra Hughes each seek in excess of $50,000, attorneys costs, and other relief allowed by the court. Multiple calls to Matt Hughes’ attorneys of record, Steven Grovea and Patrick Hagery, were not immediately returned.

Norfolk Southern Railway denies the Hughes’ allegations. The company argues sufficient warnings were in place and claim the UFC Hall of Famer’s actions led to the accident.

Norfolk’s defense attorney Charles Swartwout claims Hughes failed to stop his truck at a safe distance and didn’t heed a warning from the “plainly visible” train. Swartwout claims Hughes failed to yield the right of way and “knowingly drove his vehicle onto a railroad grade crossing.” The attorney also claims Hughes was talking on a cellphone at the time of the crash.

Hughes’ son, Joey Hughes, indicated his father may have been using a cellphone at the time of the accident. In an interview for the UFC documentary “A Country Boy Can Survive,” he said of Hughes, “I don’t know if he was on his phone, or what happened, but he never stopped.”

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I looked up the train track in the past.
The crossing is basically in the middle of nowhere. There are fields and that's it.

View attachment 33159

Might even be CTE making him suicidal as others have said happened to them.
Yeah it just doesn't make sense that he wouldn't have seen the train coming.

ShatsBassoon

Throwing bombs & banging moms
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The Matt Hughes story is not going to have a happy ending. I don't think he's in a healthy place, mentally.
His wife divorced him and has a restraining order placed on him, over his violent behavior. His brother mark also has a restraining order placed on him, because of a dispute over a tractor.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
No one is perfect and I try to be mindful not to judge others if I haven't walked a mile in their shoes, but still, I wish I hadn't heard some of the stories about him. I do hope he fully recovers and finds peace but I admit it is tough to forget his past offenses.

Wintermute

Putin is gay
Apr 24, 2015
I looked up the train track in the past.
The crossing is basically in the middle of nowhere. There are fields and that's it.

View attachment 33159

Might even be CTE making him suicidal as others have said happened to them.
Never thought about it being a suicide attempt. ...and then he sued the train company to cover it up? Ugh.

Last edited: