Mayweather vs McGregor: Live Discussion - 8/26/17

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
so there is a limit to a person's gas tank? and conor's reached that limit?

I always thought if you just try to condition yourself more and more, you can always improve your cardio.... even with his style. is this not true?

I was speaking in a bit absolutes admittedly.

Conor is a top tier athlete. I can't imagine that he spent all this time in the gym it does not train cardio with triathlon athlete's intensity.

Of course I could be wrong and it could be benefit to more running and more jump roping. But I bet it's minimal.

Maybe he could cut less weight and carry a slightly different frame. There I feel like we are starting to identify other things that help Conor be successful.

He is big for his weight class.

But more than anything he spends a lot of energy on movement and throws a lot of shots. He threatens with one attack and lands another. Tons of energy exertion. But since he has KO power, it's worth it. The fight ends in those 10 minutes.

In this boxing match with 40 year old Floyd, surely Floyd has a lifetime of muscle and cardio conditioning. But he also spends minimal energy on his slow starter style.

I feel that Conor is a professional. He trains hard. After gassing on Diaz, I'm sure he took his cardio seriously.
But there is a limit to the human body. At a certain body size you can only keep a certain pace for so long. I think the biggest jump for Conor not gassing would require a slower start and less activity.

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
I was speaking in a bit absolutes admittedly.

Conor is a top tier athlete. I can't imagine that he spent all this time in the gym it does not train cardio with triathlon athlete's intensity.

Of course I could be wrong and it could be benefit to more running and more jump roping. But I bet it's minimal.

Maybe he could cut less weight and carry a slightly different frame. There I feel like we are starting to identify other things that help Conor be successful.

He is big for his weight class.

But more than anything he spends a lot of energy on movement and throws a lot of shots. He threatens with one attack and lands another. Tons of energy exertion. But since he has KO power, it's worth it. The fight ends in those 10 minutes.

In this boxing match with 40 year old Floyd, surely Floyd has a lifetime of muscle and cardio conditioning. But he also spends minimal energy on his slow starter style.

I feel that Conor is a professional. He trains hard. After gassing on Diaz, I'm sure he took his cardio seriously.
But there is a limit to the human body. At a certain body size you can only keep a certain pace for so long. I think the biggest jump for Conor not gassing would require a slower start and less activity.
Fight gas is not the same as "cardio".
Conor did a ton of cardio.
Any fighter will tell you there's nothing like being in the middle of a fight and gassing and panicking because you thought you were ready, but weren't. Happened to me and many others. Only person I've ever seen address this intelligently was Bas Rutten.

For Conor, he has never fought 36 minutes. That's a different gas tank requirement.
He started to gas at about round 6 (18 minutes) which is about round 4 in MMA Which is... where he gassed in the 2nd Diaz fight.

Experience matters. Floyd has it for later rounds, McGregor doesn't. And never will unless he has about 6-8 boxing matches before the body adapts.

Truck Party

TMMAC Addict
Mar 16, 2017
Any fighter will tell you there's nothing like being in the middle of a fight and gassing and panicking because you thought you were ready, but weren't. Happened to me and many others. Only person I've ever seen address this intelligently was Bas Rutten.

For Conor, he has never fought 36 minutes. That's a different gas tank requirement.
He started to gas at about round 6 (18 minutes) which is about round 4 in MMA Which is... where he gassed in the 2nd Diaz fight.

Experience matters. Floyd has it for later rounds, McGregor doesn't. And never will unless he has about 6-8 boxing matches before the body adapts.
how many MMA fights will it take for Conor's tank to make it through 2 rounds?

Papi Chingon

Domesticated Hombre
Oct 19, 2015

Perhaps in preparation he shouldn't have sparred out of shape sparring partners for 12 rounds? New, fresh, sparring partners every round is the norm in preparation.

LurkenLikaGherkin

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I reckon there is great opportunity to hedge bets and make a sure profit on this fight
Takes a lot of money to make meaningful scalps. I won all of $1.20 on my giant bawls scalp.

On the bright side, on the Bellator card there was only 1 smart money play (Bruna Ellen), so if you have the time to handicap seems like right now is a good time to be just straight betting your sides. On all the trackable fights, there're very few lines with consistent movement that reads only one way.

I don't have time, lately. I just bet the Ellen blind, based on the action leading up to it.

M

member 3289

Trolls should be dealt with, like the rules used to say. Fuck this count.
Doesn't take fight with Anderson Silva despite opportunity to make shit ton of money and win MW belt.

Takes fight with Bisping.

Georges only takes fights he thinks he can win.

Cry me a river if that offends you.

M

member 3289

Lol ok m8.

If you spent less time crying and more time training perhaps you'd be a pro by now.