McGregor calls cardio issue a ‘myth,’ wants ‘long bout’ with Poirier

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
UFC 257: Poirier v McGregor Press Conference

A more subdued Conor McGregor dismissed the “myth” about the cardio and conditioning issues he supposedly has.

Fans, fellow fighters, and opponents are well-acquainted with Conor McGregor’s hammer of a left hand. On the flip side, one of the long-running topics of conversation about “The Notorious” in terms of his weaknesses is his gas tank during fights.

Joe Rogan and Firas Zahabi talked about it a couple of years back. As Zahabi theorized, it’s possibly linked to genetics.

“McGregor, look at his stats. It’s all ‘round one knockout, round one knockout, round two knockout.’ He’s fast-twitch, high-leverage left hand. If you take him into deep waters, his fast-twitch muscle fibers cannot metabolize,” Zahabi explained, citing how Floyd Mayweather “let McGregor work for three rounds” to tire him out.

On Thursday, a more subdued McGregor addressed the supposed cardio issues during the UFC 257 pre-fight press conference.

“I think it’s a myth,” McGregor told the media. “Obviously, you had the Diaz one, the first Diaz fight. I went from featherweight and then a month or so later, I was at welterweight. That’s obviously gonna have impact. And there was other issues.

“But I think, overall, it’s a myth. It’s a myth that’s out there and that’s it. I hope we can answer it in time. At some stage, I keep showing up here, someone’s gonna be able to stay in the pocket with me and stay in there and fight with me. And I hope it’s this Saturday night.

“I’m in some shape here at the minute, and I tell you this now: I am coming to put on a masterpiece,” he added.

McGregor did predict a 60-second knockout win over Dustin Poirier in this upcoming rematch. But he hopes for a longer fight at the same time, given the shortage of action he got in 2020.

“I have put in a lot of work to get myself correctly to the 155-pound frame,” he said. “I got 40 seconds inside the Octagon 2020, which caused major frustration. It’s not enough. I need more.

“So I’m gonna go in there and I believe I can get him out there and possibly will hit him early and hurt him. But I hope for a good, long bout.”

UFC 257 happens this Saturday at the Etihad Arena in Abu Dhabi. Co-headlining the event is the debut of ex-Bellator champion Michael Chandler, who takes on number six-ranked contender Dan Hooker.

Conor McGregor calls cardio issue a ‘myth,’ wants ‘long bout’ with Dustin Poirier at UFC 257

Last edited:

Tuc Ouiner

Posting Machine
May 19, 2016
This guy could sell ice cubes to eskimos. Coconut water to Hawaiians.Birch water to Vermonters.Rain water to Indians.

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
Be careful what you ask for, I saw his ass crying in that second Diaz fight where they gifted him the decision or that would have been it for Conor as far as legacy
He “re-set” 15 different times as Nate clowned him