McGregor: I'm done with featherweight after Aldo, unless Edgar earns it

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015

Esther Lin photo

LOS ANGELES -- If Conor McGregor defeats UFC featherweight championJose Aldo at UFC 194, he's done with the competition at 145 pounds.

"I'm hoping Jose will show up," McGregor said at a media event in downtown LA. "I'm going to retire him, end his career, and then I've done what I've said I'll do. I said I'm going to kill the featherweight division, there's nobody left."

But there's an asterisk at the end of McGregor's statement. The interim featherweight champion conceded that should Frankie Edgar put on a show against Chad Mendes on Dec. 11, that could cause him to postpone a move up to lightweight.

"If Frankie was to put on a phenomenal performance and stop Chad, or maybe something like that, then I can say, alright, let's answer the Frankie question, let's shut him down real quick," McGregor said. "But in my mind, I'm thinking, I'm going to unify the belts, I'm going to destroy the division, and then I'm going to take the lightweight division as well. That's where I'm headed right now."

Even though he's yet to unify the featherweight gold, McGregor's already throwing barbs at the top of the 155-pound pack. McGregor says a run at the lightweight title is purely about pursuing a championship legacy, since he's already making considerably more money than Rafael dos Anjos andDonald Cerrone, who will compete for the lightweight belt on Dec. 19.

McGregor: I'm done with featherweight after Aldo, unless Edgar earns it - MMA Fighting

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
lets not put the cart before the horse here.you are only an interim champ with the fakest belt that was ever created but your going to beat aldo,unify the belts, become the undisputed champ,never defend it once and leave the division?

Narcosynthesis

Posting Machine
May 25, 2015
He's probably tired of draining himself to make 145. 155 would be more healthier. I think it's a smart choice.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Champion : Rafael dos Anjos
1 Anthony Pettis

2 Donald Cerrone

3 Khabib Nurmagomedov

4 Eddie Alvarez

5 Michael Johnson

6 Benson Henderson

7 Edson Barboza

8 Myles Jury

9 Tony Ferguson

10 Beneil Dariush

11 Bobby Green

12 Al Iaquinta

13 Dustin Poirier

14 Nate Diaz

15 Jorge Masvidal

dos anjos and cerrone beat him like a red headed step child .khabib chucks him around and lays on him as much as he wants . eddie alvarez and ben henderson are not easy fights for anyone. nate diaz is too big. he might have a good fight with masvidal or al iaquinta

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Champion : Rafael dos Anjos
1 Anthony Pettis

2 Donald Cerrone

3 Khabib Nurmagomedov

4 Eddie Alvarez

5 Michael Johnson

6 Benson Henderson

7 Edson Barboza

8 Myles Jury

9 Tony Ferguson

10 Beneil Dariush

11 Bobby Green

12 Al Iaquinta

13 Dustin Poirier

14 Nate Diaz

15 Jorge Masvidal

dos anjos and cerrone beat him like a red headed step child .khabib chucks him around and lays on him as much as he wants . eddie alvarez and ben henderson are not easy fights for anyone. nate diaz is too big. he might have a good fight with masvidal or al iaquinta
Conor is instantly a top 5 lightweight if he moves up.

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Sherk would have taken him down at will and passed his guard like butter...

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The only guy Conor loses to at lightweight is Khabib.
Ppl won't believe it but Khabib is an easier fight for him than Mendes or Edgar. Khabib will throw a motherfucker with ease, but he is a freestyle wrestler. He is not great at controlling his opponent and keeping them down. Would allow for more opportunities for Conor to knock him out. Frankie and Mendes are better at smothering and controlling a downed opponent.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Conor better avenge his loss to his maker before he steps in Khabibs world.

ECC170

Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
Conor would be whining for stand ups the whole time..

FadeToBlack

Rear Naked Poke
Mar 15, 2015
I would love to see Edgar/McGregor. At first I figured Edgar would out-punch him to a boring 5 round decision. Lately after rewatching some of Conor's fights, I'm not convinced Conor doesn't find Frankie's face at the end of his reach to put him on queer street and potentially get the KO. I need to see that fight, I think Conor's chances are better than the popular opinion on here would suggest.