General Medical question for Splinty

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Mix6APlix

The more you cry, the less I care.
Oct 20, 2015
Since Splinty @Splinty is our resident medic, I have a few questions that crossed my mind yesterday. It was a fairly hot and kind of humid day yesterday, and at one point the power went out for a couple hours. I was thinking of telling you that these questions came to mind when I was peeling my sweaty sack off the inside of my thigh, but then decided that wasn't relevant to the topic at hand.

Why do doctors grab your balls and ask you to cough when checking for a hernia? Isn't a hernia referring to a herniated disc in your spine? Is there a different hernia I don't know about? If I had a herniated disc in my back, wouldn't I be aware of it as I hear it hurts like hell?

What's the deal, man? Hit me with some knowledge.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Splinty does it because he likes cock.

Your doctor could probably help with info.
Unfortunately my doctor had a stroke last week and is currently in a coma in ICU. They found him on the floor of his bathroom after he didn't show up at the office and they called his police department to conduct a wellness check.

My father died when I was 12, and Doc was always great to me afterwards, including taking me to Canada fishing numerous times. (Not to mention being happy to give me medical slips if I wanted a weekend off of work to go camping, or go to a Bears game, or whatever.) Things don't look really good now, as they found a growth on his brainstem and say it's in such a delicate area they don't even want to do a biopsy

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Why do doctors grab your balls and ask you to cough when checking for a hernia?
Because we love the balls.
Or because when you cough off any hernia will be more prominent with the valsalva that the cough elicits.

Isn't a hernia referring to a herniated disc in your spine?
Both.
Herniated is just to protrude out of the normal space.

So I herniated bowel is shorten to hernia. And it herniated disc is a disc that's slipped and protruding out of its usual space.

Is there a different hernia I don't know about?
As above.

If I had a herniated disc in my back, wouldn't I be aware of it as I hear it hurts like hell?
No. Maybe half the people you see walking down the street have herniated disc on MRI. They don't often cause symptoms. This is the problem with over testing. I see a herniated disc and it may not be an issue at all.

Also because we love the balls.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
those TSA checks are getting really close to hernia checks it almost reminds me of getting a physical to play sports.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
When I cough my hernia pops out. Then I push it back in.
It doesn't matter if I'm grabbing my balls or not.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
those TSA checks are getting really close to hernia checks it almost reminds me of getting a physical to play sports.
Dude got REAL close to my junk last time. I was like "Talk dirty to me first, bro".

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Splinty @Splinty so what youbare trying to say is that all male doctors are at least bisexual? That would explain my boners when the doc grabs my sack.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
can we get a serious answer here?
I'm more of an armchair attorney than doctor, but yes you may have a serious answer.

When the doctor has you cough and grabs your balls they're checking for what would colloquially be known as a "sports hernia" Basically your intestines bust through your abdomen. It's typically caused by over exertion (ie, lifting shit that's too heavy)

Sports Hernia (Athletic Pubalgia)-OrthoInfo - AAOS

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
When I cough my hernia pops out. Then I push it back in.
It doesn't matter if I'm grabbing my balls or not.

I feel ripped off. Doctor never grabbed my balls when checking my inguinal hernia, only made me cough while pressing down on the affected area.

Coughing after the surgery was hell. It felt like I was going to rip the mesh implant. Getting up and laying down on the bed was such a painful chore that I resorted to pissing in Gatorade bottles.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I feel ripped off. Doctor never grabbed my balls when checking my inguinal hernia, only made me cough while pressing down on the affected area.

Coughing after the surgery was hell. It felt like I was going to rip the mesh implant. Getting up and laying down on the bed was such a painful chore that I resorted to pissing in Gatorade bottles.
Which is why I'm not getting it fixed. Haha. Fuck it.

DiSmAnTLeR

Apr 5, 2016
Which is why I'm not getting it fixed. Haha. Fuck it.
I'm a commercial sheet metal worker and my hernia was severe enough that I couldn't work through the pain. I had a shitty recovery though, so shitty that I was tested and they discovered that I had a low thyroid condition that required medication to boost my levels. It also didn't help that the surgery was on a Monday and I was in a car accident on the Thursday before.

I was pushing a heating coil on a pallet across the floor a couple weeks ago and I felt a definite hernia pain. It still acts up and I've been back to my surgeon. I'm waiting on a MRI to see if the mesh is holding properly.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I'm a commercial sheet metal worker and my hernia was severe enough that I couldn't work through the pain. I had a shitty recovery though, so shitty that I was tested and they discovered that I had a low thyroid condition that required medication to boost my levels. It also didn't help that the surgery was on a Monday and I was in a car accident on the Thursday before.

I was pushing a heating coil on a pallet across the floor a couple weeks ago and I felt a definite hernia pain. It still acts up and I've been back to my surgeon. I'm waiting on a MRI to see if the mesh is holding properly.
Mine initially popped out when I was trying to muscle a riding mower into the back of a pickup truck by myself. That was maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

No pain though. If it starts hurting I'll get it fixed. Until then, I'll just push it back in.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
I coughed, something popped out.

I was so embarrassed to find out I shat my pants.

Mix6APlix

Oct 20, 2015
Splinty @Splinty since I already have this thread, I have another question for you kind sir.

Karma is a bitch. On my way to work on Friday, today being Monday, I saw a young lady fall on her ass when she slipped on ice. Literally .873 seconds later, while laughing at her, I did the same. My fat ass has plenty of padding, (edit 186.6 this morning...almost there) so no harm done, just a fall on my ass and we both laughed.

At work one of my coworkers just got back from a ski trip with a sprained ankle. Honestly if I had been them, I would have called in and said 'f it, I'm not working tonight'. But they did, so I had a bit of fun referrring to them as 'Hopalong Cassidy' for most of the night. But on my way home, karma decided to pay me back again...

I slipped, didn't fall, but really sprained the hell out of my ankle. It's not a high ankle sprain, it's really low. At first the pain was just at the base of the Achilles, but since, and I suspect from overcompensation, is now wrapped around the top of my foot. (Draw a circle around below the little boney points sideways just over the heel), that's where it hurts, and it hasn't gotten better.

I've been taking aleve, and vodka, but neither seems to help that much. I have a basic figure 8 wrap on it with an Ace wrap, reinforced with athletic tape (I was an athletic trainer assistant in high school for 3 years, until I got expelled due to political differences with the administration, and have some family in the medical field). I've been keeping up with ICE (Ice, compression, and elevation) but it still hurts like a motherfucker, and I don't suppose chasing my shitbag dog down again when he squeezed through the fence didn't help.

Any suggestions for not feeling the hurty? I don't imbibe pharmaceuticals, nor Tylenol (My liver works enough), so is there anything I can do, or just minimize activity and not be stupid? I can handle the first part....

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Disciplined Galt

Disciplina et Frugalis
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Splinty @Splinty since I already have this thread, I have another question for you kind sir.

Karma is a bitch. On my way to work on Friday, today being Monday, I saw a young lady fall on her ass when she slipped on ice. Literally .873 seconds later, while laughing at her, I did the same. My fat ass has plenty of padding, so no harm done, just a fall on my ass and we both laughed.

At work one of my coworkers just got back from a ski trip with a sprained ankle. Honestly if I had been them, I would have called in and said 'f it, I'm not working tonight'. But they did, so I had a bit of fun referrring to them as 'Hopalong Cassidy' for most of the night. But on my way home, karma decided to pay me back again...

I slipped, didn't fall, but really sprained the hell out of my ankle. It's not a high ankle sprain, it's really low. At first the pain was just at the base of the Achilles, but since, and I suspect from overcompensation, is now wrapped around the top of my foot. (Draw a circle around below the little boney points sideways just over the heel), that's where it hurts, and it hasn't gotten better.

I've been taking aleve, and vodka, but neither seems to help that much. I have a basic figure 8 wrap on it with an Ace wrap, reinforced with athletic tape (I was an athletic trainer assistant in high school for 3 years, until I got expelled due to political differences with the administration, and have some family in the medical field). I've been keeping up with ICE (Ice, compression, and elevation) but it still hurts like a motherfucker, and I don't suppose chasing my shitbag dog down again when he squeezed through the fence didn't help.

Any suggestions for not feeling the hurty? I don't imbibe pharmaceuticals, nor Tylenol (My liver works enough), so is there anything I can do, or just minimize activity and not be stupid? I can handle the first part....

Thanks in advance.
Cut it off or it'll spread to your balls.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
If I had a herniated disc in my back, wouldn't I be aware of it as I hear it hurts like hell?
I have one now, and yes it hurts like a motherfucker. I wish I had one of the asymptomatic herniations like Splinty @Splinty mentioned in his response to you. Mine is slamming in to the nerves that control my left leg. Haven't been able feel my left foot in about a month. The pain sucks, but the numbness and lack of sensation freaks me out more. You can treat pain, but having a clumsy leg sucks.

Having surgery next Monday to shave off the herniation. This has been something plaguing me for 8 or 9 years. Hoping this surgery takes care of it once and for all.

Splinty @Splinty can I get a doctors note that says it's ok to mountain bike again the day after my surgery? :D