Mexican Wrestling Legend Perro Aguayo Jr dies during traigic in ring accident

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
The world of Mexican wrestling has been deeply shaken by the death of star fighter Hijo del Perro Aguayo, who collapsed after being kicked during a bout.

The lucha libre fighter, whose real name is Pedro Aguayo Ramirez, was left slumped against the ropes after a flying kick from one of his opponents, Rey Mysterio, during the match Friday night.

The other wrestlers continued with the fight as Aguayo's limp body slid down onto the mat, according to video footage of the bout posted on social media.

The video showed ringside personnel repeatedly shaking Aguayo and talking to him without any response. He eventually received medical attention and was rushed out of the arena in the city of Tijuana.

But doctors were unable to revive him. AAA, the wrestling promotion company for which Aguayo worked, said it was informed of his death around 1 a.m. Saturday. He was 35 years old.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That's crazy but I don't understand what happened. It looks like he was already out when Rey hit the 619.

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
That's crazy but I don't understand what happened. It looks like he was already out when Rey hit the 619.
Yeah from what I was reading, apparently it was the drop kick just before you see him collapse across the rope as if he's getting in position for the 619. To me he looked dazed or off just after the hurricanrana through the ropes. I don't know what's what but it seems like whatever it was, it was just a freak accident. Sad.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Wow. Just read about this yesterday. Didn't know there was a vid. I read that it was a whiplash injury due to either the dropkick or when the other guy setup on the rope. Not sure Konan jerking him around while he was out helped any. Definitely sad to see. RIP Hijo del Perro.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Rey didn't kill him. He fell on the neck and his neck broke. Rey did not do that. I had to edit the title. People have been saying that to Mysterio quite a lot, "he killed a wrestler". Even mainstream outlets saying that. Truly a shame. What a horrible thing to place on a man who did nothing of the sort. Imagine the guilt Rey feels? He has been receiving death threats and everything... but he had absolutely nothing to do with what happened. It was a freak accident.

To be clear. No move that Rey did caused the injury to Perro. When Perro's neck landed on the ropes, he experienced cervical trauma which led to a stroke. It was his bump (done and controlled by himself) into the rope (a complete freak accident in the right/wrong spot) that caused this. Literally NOTHING Rey did. Just wana clear the guys name. He was a hero f mine growing up. Can't imagine how hard this is.

RIP Perro

PERROS DEL MAL!!!!!

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Rey didn't kill him. He fell on the neck and his neck broke. Rey did not do that. I had to edit the title. People have been saying that to Mysterio quite a lot, "he killed a wrestler". Even mainstream outlets saying that. Truly a shame. What a horrible thing to place on a man who did nothing of the sort. Imagine the guilt Rey feels? He has been receiving death threats and everything... but he had absolutely nothing to do with what happened. It was a freak accident.

To be clear. No move that Rey did caused the injury to Perro. When Perro's neck landed on the ropes, he experienced cervical trauma which led to a stroke. It was his bump (done and controlled by himself) into the rope (a complete freak accident in the right/wrong spot) that caused this. Literally NOTHING Rey did. Just wana clear the guys name. He was a hero f mine growing up. Can't imagine how hard this is.

RIP Perro

PERROS DEL MAL!!!!!
Yeah I agree, I just copy and pasted the title from the article on whatever news site I got it from(cnn I think?). After I made the thread I realized it looked horrible, but I couldn't change it and kind of forgot about it tbh.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Looks to me like he injured himself when he was thrown out of the ring, because he immediately jumped back up and into the ring...but then he started laboring, trying to get to his feet, before Ray drop kicked him. He appears to land against the ropes fine (rope falls under both arms), but I think the damage was done by that point.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Rey didn't kill him.

He fell on the neck and his neck broke. Rey did not do that. I had to edit the title. People have been saying that to Mysterio quite a lot, "he killed a wrestler". Even mainstream outlets saying that. Truly a shame. What a horrible thing to place on a man who did nothing of the sort. Imagine the guilt Rey feels? He has been receiving death threats and everything... but he had absolutely nothing to do with what happened. It was a freak accident.

RIP Perro

PERROS DEL MAL!!!!!

I have watched this video about 10 times and can't see where you are talking about it. Vertebral strokes like you describe ARE a thing.

Watching the video right away this appears to be a spinal injury.

The most likely area of trauma seems like here:

There is a fast mechanism, here is a crack where he either hits the edge of the ring or something breaks.

The kick lands pretty flush on his arm/shoulder I thought...

He then lands on his armpits, not his neck (though I'm sure I could be missing the neck area you are talking about)

Some are saying the kick hit the shoulder and the neck??

View: https://gfycat.com/ParallelUnripeAmericanindianhorse

That's the AP reporting on the autopsy:

Aguayo, the 35-year-old son of retired wrestling legend Pedro "Perro" Aguayo, had three fractured vertebrae and was dead by the time he reached a hospital, said Gilberto Cota Alanis, deputy prosecutor for Baja California state.

Medical staff there tried for 90 minutes to revive Aguayo, Cota Alanis said.

Aguayo was injured during a match in Tijuana, apparently after being launched out of the ring and then, soon after, receiving a flying kick to the shoulder and neck from fellow wrestler Oscar Gutierrez, better known as Rey Mysterio Jr.

Either way, its a tragic accident. He broke his neck in ring fall or the kick. If the former, he probably had pain and should have had help before continuing the show. If it was just the kick, how can anyone act like it was anything but a freak accident with the worst results. Kicks to the head happen all the time and don't result in a severed cord or stroke.