General Miami Condo Collapses

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ThatOneDude

Commander in @Chief, Dick Army
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That's why I'm waiting on a contract for one right now!

Phase 1 of "Will the Slumlord" is about to get rolling!

(It's actually a townhouse but to hell with details!)
So 2 things.
Congrats on becoming a slum lord, passive income is great.
Two, you need to change your name on here.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
My guess is most of the legal battles that come out of this mess will be of the civil suit variety. I'm sure we'll see several class-action suits filed.

Willfully ignoring structural issues found during inspection reports can be criminal.

I keep thinking about this. Who gets sued?

Engineer points out flaws and gives cost.
HOA president begs for special assessment and loan to do repairs....three years ago or whenever.
HOA notifies residents this year that damage is accelerating and they need money to fix it.

Residents voted against or at least didn't vote for a new fee to do this recommendation.

Who missed the ball other than the resident? What if there was a vote and half voted for and half against...is it the vote against fault?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015

HOA president begs for special assessment and loan to do repairs....three years ago or whenever.
HOA notifies residents this year that damage is accelerating and they need money to fix it.

Residents voted against or at least didn't vote for a new fee to do this recommendation.

Who missed the ball other than the resident? What if there was a vote and half voted for and half against...is it the vote against fault?
I'd assume the association should have no liability if they tried to do the right thing, but there will be a scape goat and I think it'll be the builder or the association or maybe even @Lars.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016

same - so many queestions...

how informed was the decision? How did the HOA express the severity of the damage? how accurately was the damage assessed?

M

member 3289

Not far from that complex is the Towers of Key Biscayne apartment complex. Also built right on the water.

Here's what the carpark underneath one of the towers looks like right now.

View: https://youtu.be/y33JbmcUnUI

??
What's funny is that Key Biscayne is even more exclusive and big-time than Surfside. Shit it costs $2.25 - $3.00 just to access the fucking island.

Properties at this building START at the highest prices for units at Champlain Tower South.

Dafuq are they spending those HOA fees on!?

ThatOneDude

First 100
Jan 14, 2015
It's really sad a tragedy is bringing this shit to people's attention. It's insane.

IschKabibble

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015

A vote? Really?!? Should not have been up to the residents to decide. The deferred liability games we play are sickening. I'd like to know where the last 10 years of HOA fees went, other than salary.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
Wow that is so much money that it doesn't even look real im guessing for a lot of folks it will go to their estate.
I wonder how it is divided up? After the lawyers take 40%, who gets what?

Do dead get more than injured?
Was it per unit or per person?

If it wasn't already settled, this could be where the real court battle starts.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Lol that billion didnt even come from the owners of the condos they wanted the pool of money to be 83 million and 50 million before that which wiuld have ripped off the deceased by a half a million to a million bucks inntheir condos value. The slick lawyers sued the neighboring building:

But attorneys said they were unlikely to reach that number unless they could bring in a deep-pocketed defendant.

As the linchpin of that effort, surviving residents and victims’ families sued the developers of the neighboring luxury condo, Eighty Seven Park, in November, alleging that the nearby construction destabilized the building and helped lead to the collapse.