Michael Page vs. Shinsho Anzai set for Bellator Japan

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

It’s been a busy year for Michael “Venom” Page, and he’ll have one more fight before the calendar flips to 2020.

The dynamic Bellator welterweight striker is set to face former UFC fighter Shinsho Anzai at Bellator Japan on December 28th (December 29th in Japan). It’ll be contested at a catchweight of 173 lbs, per Bellator officials.

Page (16-1) has fought four times in 2019, winning a very boring decision over Paul Daley, followed by a brutal KO loss to Douglas Lima in the Bellator welterweight grand prix semifinals. He’s since bounced back with finishes of Richard Kiely and late replacement Giovanni Melillo, who filled in for the injured Derek Anderson.

Anzai (11-3) had four…

Michael Page vs. Shinsho Anzai set for Bellator Japan

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
a real life UFC vet! it's almost as good as seeing him matched up with a UFC vet that is good.. or a UFC vet that you've heard of.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Even though this is theoretically a step-up in competition for MVP compared to his previous two opponents, Anzai will have an 8-inch height and 8.5-inch reach disadvantage against Page, so this is just an enormous physical mismatch on paper.

jimmy boogaloo

General Links/Your Account
Nov 15, 2017
Even though this is theoretically a step-up in competition for MVP compared to his previous two opponents, Anzai will have an 8-inch height and 8.5-inch reach disadvantage against Page, so this is just an enormous physical mismatch on paper.
you're fucking kidding. basically Page's breakout fight is against a welterweight version of Shoji Akira

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
you're fucking kidding. basically Page's breakout fight is against a welterweight version of Shoji Akira
That's from the article. I haven't tried to verify independently. But yeah... He's fighting that guy at a bit of a catchweigjt. So that's fun.

Haulport

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
Eeeeeessss Normal

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
MVP gets a lotta hate for fighting.
I get that people want to see him fight better opponents, so do I, but would you rather him not fight at all, like, be a Conor Mcgregor?
I'm glad I get to see the guy perform on NYE, and that he's staying busy.

This kinda thing happened for Fedor too; he fights a couple great guys, then fights a couple VERY entertaining freakshow fights. Then BLAF fills the airways with "he's fighting cans and padding his record!" and fans regurgitate it.
So TF WHAT?
He's not sitting on his ass waiting for "the fight", he's fighting, waiting for "the fight".

Dave Rickels is a journeyman tough guy, and MVP made him quit.
Cyborg was coming off the fastest submission in Bellator history before getting the worst injury in MMA history.

If the guy was fighting 4 cans a year...ok, bitch away.
But if he's surviving Semtex with a decision and rocking arguably the best WW in the world before an astonish KO in between, maybe re-think whether you're being a little bit too spoiled of a fan.

Fight fans blow me away.
Personally I'd rather see a karate guy obliterate a journeyman than Khabib Nurmagomedov dry hump a guy for 25 minutes.
Guess what?
Khabib is not the ultimate fighting champion. He's not the best LW in the world. He's arguably not the best LW in the UFC.
But if he floats your boat, would you rather watch him fight two good guys a year, or 2 good guys and obliterate 2 "cans" a year?

Also, consider this is for Japan too, where Shinsho is 11-1

M

member 3289

Anyone know the laws on scalping in Japan?

Coker might wanna look into it

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
MVP gets a lotta hate for fighting.
I get that people want to see him fight better opponents, so do I, but would you rather him not fight at all, like, be a Conor Mcgregor?
I'm glad I get to see the guy perform on NYE, and that he's staying busy.

This kinda thing happened for Fedor too; he fights a couple great guys, then fights a couple VERY entertaining freakshow fights. Then BLAF fills the airways with "he's fighting cans and padding his record!" and fans regurgitate it.
So TF WHAT?
He's not sitting on his ass waiting for "the fight", he's fighting, waiting for "the fight".

Dave Rickels is a journeyman tough guy, and MVP made him quit.
Cyborg was coming off the fastest submission in Bellator history before getting the worst injury in MMA history.

If the guy was fighting 4 cans a year...ok, bitch away.
But if he's surviving Semtex with a decision and rocking arguably the best WW in the world before an astonish KO in between, maybe re-think whether you're being a little bit too spoiled of a fan.

Fight fans blow me away.
Personally I'd rather see a karate guy obliterate a journeyman than Khabib Nurmagomedov dry hump a guy for 25 minutes.
Guess what?
Khabib is not the ultimate fighting champion. He's not the best LW in the world. He's arguably not the best LW in the UFC.
But if he floats your boat, would you rather watch him fight two good guys a year, or 2 good guys and obliterate 2 "cans" a year?

Also, consider this is for Japan too, where Shinsho is 11-1
For me it's the douchey showboating after smashing a much lesser opponent. I generally enjoy showmanship but save it for when you achieved something unexpected or memorable. Trying to pump MVPs tires by saying he made a "journeyman tough guy quit", using a speedy submission to make Cyborg a notable feather in his cap (the new record holder for quickest sub is now an 18 year old with four pro fights), "surviving Semtex" and rocking one of the best WWs is laughable. He's been with Bellator for five years or so now. In that time the only legit guy he fought KOd him clean within two rounds like most fans have been calling for a long time. For your question about Khabib I'll watch everyone of his fights where as I will check for highlights of an MVP fight if I miss it. Hey I like the flashy hands down shit too, I just wish he'd do it on a guy who has a chance to hit him back more than once in 17 fights.

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
For me it's the douchey showboating after smashing a much lesser opponent. I generally enjoy showmanship but save it for when you achieved something unexpected or memorable. Trying to pump MVPs tires by saying he made a "journeyman tough guy quit", using a speedy submission to make Cyborg a notable feather in his cap (the new record holder for quickest sub is now an 18 year old with four pro fights), "surviving Semtex" and rocking one of the best WWs is laughable. He's been with Bellator for five years or so now. In that time the only legit guy he fought KOd him clean within two rounds like most fans have been calling for a long time. For your question about Khabib I'll watch everyone of his fights where as I will check for highlights of an MVP fight if I miss it. Hey I like the flashy hands down shit too, I just wish he'd do it on a guy who has a chance to hit him back more than once in 17 fights.
Cool it on the fighter bashing.