General Michigan screws medical marijuana patients

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
FRAT:michigan just decided they are doing a new licensing system and that all current dispensaries must close by december 15th and apply for a licence that will be issued some time in the first quarter of next year. So there were be a gap of 1-4 months where no dispensaries will be open.

Existing medical marijuana dispensaries could be in danger of being shuttered by law enforcement if they stay open past mid-December, according to Andrew Brisbo, a top state marijuana regulator.

“The (Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs) will not shut down facilities,” Brisbo said Tuesday. But dispensaries that continue distributing medical marijuana to patients after the state begins accepting applications for dispensaries to get state licenses on Dec. 15 risk being closed by law enforcement, he added.

Brisbo said the department has and will not ask law enforcement to close such dispensaries, however. That would be at the sole discretion of law enforcement.

Brisbo’s comments came during the state’s third Medical Marihuana Licensing Board meeting Tuesday and just hours after LARA issued a statement that appeared to put pot shops on notice for potential closure, considering them “a potential impediment to licensure” if they stay open after Dec. 15.

Tuesday’s meeting was marked by confusion and internal disagreement within the board and worry from patients who feared they wouldn’t be able to find medicine.

Board members were torn about how to address the issue before ultimately deciding to leave LARA’s announcement unchallenged. They also attempted to clarify with Brisbo the extent of the board’s authority and clear up confusion about the legal process for crafting new rules.

Donald Bailey – who originally made the motion to shut down current dispensaries in late August – said Tuesday he is trying to combat a marijuana black market.

“We don’t want to see these dispensaries … making these things and putting it into Michigan’s own black market,” said Bailey, who is a retired State Police sergeant who used to work in drug enforcement.

Bailey questioned whether LARA was being tough enough on dispensaries that he says have operated illegally since 2008, when voters legalized marijuana for medical use in a statewide referendum.

“The law is pretty clear,” Bailey said. “I apologize to those who don’t understand where I’m coming from, but I cannot be moved and I won’t be. This is a violation.”

Others on the board, such as Nichole Cover and chairman Rick Johnson, seemed to push back against that sentiment.

“We are not enforcers; we are not regulators,” Cover said. “We’re all trying to navigate the lay of the land.”

Johnson withdrew his initial support for Bailey’s motion to shutter dispensaries after LARA clarified that it’s not within the board’s authority or role to do so – that’s up to law enforcement.

But LARA will still issue emergency rules to render dispensaries operating without a license “a potential impediment” to its license plan. It consulted with Attorney General Bill Schuette’s office to determine that it could do so, according to the department.

That could mean that dispensaries that refuse to close by Dec. 15 might have a harder time getting an official license from the state to operate once they are issued.

The mid-December date “will allow existing operations to wind down while also giving adequate time for patients to establish connections to caregivers to help ensure continuity of access,” according a state press release.

LARA sent the release just hours before the scheduled board meeting, during which officials tried to clarify whether pot shops would be shuttered, or which state entity had the authority to enact closures if they happen.

Any “regulatory action” to close dispensaries would require an administrative rule, which LARA could enact on an “emergency” basis as it seeks to set up a permanent regulatory structure for Michigan’s medical marijuana businesses. Enforcing that would be up to police.

Application fees for dispensaries could cost between $4,000 and $8,000, “depending on the number of applications received,” according to LARA.

People again expressed concern that they wouldn’t be able to find medical marijuana if dispensaries are shut down for a time while the state issues licenses.

Many expressed frustration with Bailey, who many seem to view as adversarial to medical pot. Others attempted to justify the need for such medicine and how it helped them.

Detroit has eight city-approved medical marijuana dispensaries and another 69 pending approval from the city but still operating. Another 81 applications are pending in addition to those, according to a city database.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
This kind of fucks me. I quit smoking last year because I could not afford it. A few month ago my doctor advised that I start again because it help control my anxiety. I still can not afford to buy premium buds but I found a place that would sell me an oz of shake for 50 bucks. Its a little on the harsh side but that plus an oil cartridge is enough to last me for more than a month which is in my budget. S

so of course now they are all going to close for several months.. ..

Robbie Hart

All Biden Voters Are Mindless Sheep
Feb 13, 2015
This kind of fucks me. I quit smoking last year because I could not afford it. A few month ago my doctor advised that I start again because it help control my anxiety. I still can not afford to buy premium buds but I found a place that would sell me an oz of shake for 50 bucks. Its a little on the harsh side but that plus an oil cartridge is enough to last me for more than a month which is in my budget. S

Can you stack up on reserves?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Can you stack up on reserves?
gonna try. I dont have much in the way of spare cash so I can not stock up too much. I need to talk to the place I go to and find out exactly what their plan is and when they plan on shutting down.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Meh fuck it

Make the druggies go cold turkey.

They can clean that shit hole Detroit up while they wait for them to open again

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
gonna try. I dont have much in the way of spare cash so I can not stock up too much. I need to talk to the place I go to and find out exactly what their plan is and when they plan on shutting down.
Can you cut back on any other expenses for a little bit?

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
Somehow I fail to have any sorrow that you cannot afford dope. Go back to the doc and get xanex like every other housewife does.

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Somehow I fail to have any sorrow that you cannot affors dope. Go back to the doc and get xanex like every other housewife does.
Who said I can not afford it? I said i can not afford the premium buds but I can afford the shake, it does not taste as good but it gets the job done. And fuck getting on xanex, that shit is horrible. This whole thing is about them closing the place where I get my affordable medication.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
Who said I can not afford it? I said i can not afford the premium buds but I can afford the shake, it does not taste as good but it gets the job done. And fuck getting on xanex, that shit is horrible. This whole thing is about them closing the place where I get my affordable medication.
This is exactly what a pothead would say. On the bright side it will be snowing soon and your shoveling business will be back up and running or will your anxiety prevent you from doing that?

Serious question, does your wife work?

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016

Grow your own, bro.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
That would require more effort than begging on the internet.
I don't see begging.
Just complaining about availability.

How long does it take to grow a pot plant? I have no idea. I don't partake.

jason73

Auslander Raus
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
back in 2014 they were talking about closing down the dispensaries and compassion clubs up here in canada.they revamped the licencing for medical marijuana patients and it was really unclear what was going to happen.i stocked up on marijuana and built up a healthy supply in case they shut down my go to spot.in the end nothing happened to the stores and there is 10x more than there was before and i bought so much dope in anticipation that i still have an ounce or 2 left in my freezer

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
I don't see begging.
Just complaining about availability.

How long does it take to grow a pot plant? I have no idea. I don't partake.
Look who the OP is and tell me you honestly dont see begging. Dude is always making threads about money but never changes his lifestyle. How many shitty tattoo threads has he made, usually around tax season.

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
back in 2014 they were talking about closing down the dispensaries and compassion clubs up here in canada.they revamped the licencing for medical marijuana patients and it was really unclear what was going to happen.i stocked up on marijuana and built up a healthy supply in case they shut down my go to spot.in the end nothing happened to the stores and there is 10x more than there was before and i bought so much dope in anticipation that i still have an ounce or 2 left in my freezer
You have dope left from 2014?

Robbie Hart

Feb 13, 2015
Why does weed have to have such a strong smell? That is the only thing stopping the shipping of it on a mass scale

HEATH VON DOOM

Oct 21, 2015
oh, i did not realize you were a dick, carry on.
Its ok I realized you dont learn from your poor life choices long ago.

So since you are ao broke you cant afford your medicine has your wife started working to relieve your stress?

Passive Jay

Not Worthy
Oct 21, 2015
Its ok I realized you dont learn from your poor life choices long ago.

So since you are ao broke you cant afford your medicine has your wife started working to relieve your stress?
so you are just trolling to amuse yourself at this point? At no point did I say anything about not being able to afford it, this whole post is about michigan closing the places I get it from. But you know that already.