Mighty Mouse wants next title defense to be a co-main event

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Most MMA champions want to go on last. They're the best in the world in their division, and one of the top fighters overall. Their bouts are generally the most prestigious and important on any card. So it came as a bit of a surprise that UFC flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson told UFC Tonight's Ariel Helwani that he wanted his next bout to be in the co-main event slot, not the main event.

But there's a reason for that. An asterisk, if you will.

Johnson would like to defend his title at UFC 191 in September, preferably under a UFC middleweight title bout between Chris Weidman and Luke Rockhold.

So in this case, it may very well be that Johnson (22-2-1, 10-1-1 UFC) is just trying to get himself onto a big card. The six-time defending champ has unfortunately been put into main event spots that fans haven't gotten behind despite his status as one of the best in the sport. UFC 174 and UFC 186 didn't do that well in terms of PPV sales, so it's not much of a surprise that Johnson would like to get on a card that's going to do big numbers at the gate and on PPV.
Smart move on DJ's part. Unfortunately for him, he's arguably Top 3 P4P in the world (if not #1) but will likely never get fans to invest in his PPV's due to him being some dominate, his style, and his size.

LINK to full article: Demetrious Johnson wants next title defense to be a co-main event - Bloody Elbow

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Smart move. Really I feel like any new division should be given a 2 year incubation period as co-main events before ever getting the main event slot.

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
I don't think DJ has ever hit the threshold of sells to collect on ppv points.

His best bet on his next contract is to headline fox shows and try for 50-100k extra every fight for show/win

Darqnezz

Merkin' fools since pre-school
Apr 25, 2015
He has the talent, but he's a really good guy & that doesn't sell. He needs to go the Money Mayweather route & create a bad boy persona, or start promoting the shit out of himself. He's an avid gamer, I'd have him at all the Cons pitching himself. Nerds and geeks love fighters.

Apr 3, 2015
I am a big fan of Mighty Mouse and I agree with him. not everybody is going to like his style. and the smaller guys are hard to market.

being 5'7 myself I can relate to the smaller guys much more than most.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I am a big fan of Mighty Mouse and I agree with him. not everybody is going to like his style. and the smaller guys are hard to market.

being 5'7 myself I can relate to the smaller guys much more than most.
While I'm 5'11(with my shoes on) I don't agree with this logic.

You and I would both be taller than Mighty Mouse

Me and you walk into a Buffalo Wild Wings. There's Mighty Mouse doing autograph signings, and there's Andre Arvloski doing signings.

When we approach, both DJ and Andre are standing next to each other. We both know that either one of them could kick our asses, however we both know, Andre Arvloski is FAR more dangerous and powerful than Mighty Mouse. I can respect both, but one is far more intimidating and based on size alone just commands more respect.

For me anyways.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I agree, he has talent, but I am not one to watch the lower weight classes unless its on a good card, im not gonna pay for him in the main event.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
He has the talent, but he's a really good guy & that doesn't sell. He needs to go the Money Mayweather route & create a bad boy persona, or start promoting the shit out of himself. He's an avid gamer, I'd have him at all the Cons pitching himself. Nerds and geeks love fighters.
That's a great idea. Promotion at conventions would probably do wonders for DJ.

Apr 3, 2015

Me and you walk into a Buffalo Wild Wings. There's Mighty Mouse doing autograph signings, and there's Andre Arvloski doing signings.

When we approach, both DJ and Andre are standing next to each other. We both know that either one of them could kick our asses, however we both know, Andre Arvloski is FAR more dangerous and powerful than Mighty Mouse. I can respect both, but one is far more intimidating and based on size alone just commands more respect.

For me anyways.

I completely agree. the HW and to a lesser extent the LHW have always instilled a sense of aura and awe. when we think of ultimate destroyer of worlds we dont think of guys like mighty mouse, hell we dont even think of guys like Carlos Condit and Hector Lombard, we think of guys like Brock, Andre and the likes. huge motherfuckers with skills to match their size.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
He has no compelling nemesis step up at 125, because 125 is shallow. If he was forced to stay at 135 he may be in the picture of top 3 even though Cruz beat him out of the division. Cejudo has a shot to be that guy but we don't know yet.

They need a 125 Conor that elevates both of them and the division's relevance overall.

Cain has obliterated his threats, the injuries obviously hurt, but people want to see Mitrione, Arlovski, Hunt, JDS, Stipe fight more than they want to see Cain fight at this point. People outside of Canada were losing interest in GSP and Canada has lost a lot of interest overall since his departure as well. People booed Anderson mercilessly for 3 straight fights.

Excellence requires a nemesis to elevate the moments and overall compelling story. It's a multiple strikes thing with him but it would all go away if Ian and someone else was trading wins with him or taking him to close 5 rounders with controversy.

Aldo's compelling stories were drying up before Conor, people were convinced he would move up and abandon the division to create one because he was able to let off the gas and still beat most guys until Mendes made it interesting. It wasn't to the degree with MM because MM's challengers have never been established.

When the UFC added lightweight, there WERE people that thought it would always take second fiddle, but there were so many guys fighting over their ideal weight range that it made the majority salivate over giving them a category and a belt. There was no such demand for 125 and you can't just expect it to be filled on it's own. 145 and 135 came from the WEC so they had a transfer intrigue built-in and there was enough 145 fighters in the WEC and elsewhere to overlap.

Beyond that point it was going to be up to compelling stories and intrigue to light a fire under 125. I can't even say that if Ian McCall was dominating the division like MM it would all that much bigger in terms of appeal. They need names that people say "Wow that was a battle and they are fighting again for the belt, that's compelling" or "Listen to this guy talk and Ko people, can't wait to see him up against the best!"

Last edited:

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015

For me anyways.
I don't even think Respect is the word, it's AWE. The WWF, yes I'm going there, as well as Basketball has always proven that giant stiff 7 footers attract attention more than the tenth best average height basketball player even if they aren't very good until the big man's dominance in the system changed more recently, and on the reverse, people were in awe on Muggsy Bogues, because he was the ONLY GUY that small playing in a tall man sport. if MM was the VASTLY smallest guy proving something, he'd have natural intrigue, but he isn't he's part of a shallow pool of them that are a fairly big gap lower in skill and cardio.

People are naturally drawn in AWE to big men doing athletic feats, it's intrinsic.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I think to say he needs,to go the route of PBF isn't a good idea. I agree that for whatever reason being a compete asshole in front of cameras does create money making opportunities but for a guy like DJ who seems to be level and is known for being a good guy this act would be tough to watch.

Good guys dont always finish last in MMA, IMO the genuine ones who are liked do just as well or better than the cocky big mouths. Think of guys like Cro Cop, Fedor, GSP and a nice up and comer is Smiling Sam. All these guys are either quite and very respectful and when they do speak is a postive message usually.

Bozy

OOHH YOU DIDNT KNOW!?
Feb 22, 2015
Genius post. Why he doesn't do the gamer thing is beyond me.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Genius post. Why he doesn't do the gamer thing is beyond me.
Set up a 'Beat the UFC Champ at [Insert Fighting Game]' stall, where they get to do a round or three against the Champ, then take a picture with the Champ, the belt, and the result in the background. That would go down amazingly well, and DJ is such a nice guy, I'd be surprised if he didn't make a lot of fans.

Bozy

OOHH YOU DIDNT KNOW!?
Feb 22, 2015
Set up a 'Beat the UFC Champ at [Insert Fighting Game]' stall, where they get to do a round or three against the Champ, then take a picture with the Champ, the belt, and the result in the background. That would go down amazingly well, and DJ is such a nice guy, I'd be surprised if he didn't make a lot of fans.
This right here is what bugs me about managment and p.r. people. This idea is so good and easy/cheap to exicute. The reward from this type of grass root fan interaction would be amazing.

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
This right here is what bugs me about managment and p.r. people. This idea is so good and easy/cheap to exicute. The reward from this type of grass root fan interaction would be amazing.
He has sponsorship with Xbox who could foot the bill in return for playing Xbox1 and their latest and greatest fighting game. Hell, DJ could probably get paid to do this.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
He has sponsorship with Xbox who could foot the bill in return for playing Xbox1 and their latest and greatest fighting game. Hell, DJ could probably get paid to do this.
These are good ideas.