Military types check in here

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So I can honestly say I don't know one person who is actively serving in a military role in some way. I'm blaming this on being Canadian :). The closest I got is my mom who remarried a man who spent his whole life in the US Navy and is now retired. I'd like to first of all thank all of those who feel the need to contribute to the safety of their country (even if it conflicts with another) and put themselves through hell and into harms way to do so.

Also id like to ask

How did you get into it?

How long have you been involved?

Are you happy/unhappy/content?

What your role is?

When I was waiting to see if I was accepted into Fire Academy I went to the Canadian armed forces recruiting offices more than once. Long story short they pretty much guaranteed me that I'd be away from my wife and kids for 6 months+ right off the start and that the chances of us (wife and I and kids) all being stationed together were basically zero. I was very interested in a career as a military guy and my wife was going to enroll in their program where they provide her with X years of education for free and she'd return X years in the field back to them. Obviously we decided not to. Still don't get why they don't setup programs specifically for families to solve these problems as they'd gave a much large group of applicants.

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I joined the Navy right after high school. Was a gas turbine mechanic for 6 years and got out at the end of my enlistment.

I joined as a means of furthering my education and it helped me land a great job. I loved traveling and would definitely do it all over again. I probably would have stayed in the service longer if I didn't have a family, but I wanted to be around when the kids were young, so I completely understand why you didn't want to be away.

BJTT_Pella

Posting Machine
Jun 25, 2015
I joined the Navy right after high school. Was a gas turbine mechanic for 6 years and got out at the end of my enlistment.

I joined as a means of furthering my education and it helped me land a great job. I loved traveling and would definitely do it all over again. I probably would have stayed in the service longer if I didn't have a family, but I wanted to be around when the kids were young, so I completely understand why you didn't want to be away.

Damn Chief. I was a Gas Turbine Electrician. What years were you active?

Chief

4070 = Legend
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Damn Chief. I was a Gas Turbine Electrician. What years were you active?
Wow.

I was in from 1995 to 2001. Stationed on the USS Monterey (CG-61) and the USS John Hancock (DD-981) had a blast and learned a lot.

How about you?

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Army, joined during med school. Current national guard.

Train medics, take care of sick soldiers, shoot gun and throw grenades when they let the old doc get away to have some fun.

Happy or unhappy depends on the day. I love the service of it all, the friendships, etc. The bureaucracy leaves something to be desired sometimes.

Ill be happier and unhappier if they send me to some shithole to mortar ISIS.

BJTT_Pella

Posting Machine
Jun 25, 2015
Wow.

I was in from 1995 to 2001. Stationed on the USS Monterey (CG-61) and the USS John Hancock (DD-981) had a blast and learned a lot.

How about you?
Wow is right.
I have never met a GS outside of the Navy. I was active 98-2005, almost 8 years. I was medically retired or I would be pretty close to retirement. DD and CG guy huh? I went to The Hewitt DD-966 for 2 years. Then I spent the next 5 years at Assault Craft Unit 5 @ Camp Pendleton. The GS community is very small, I am willing to bet theres people out there we both know.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
This is weird. I got my second job working as a shipping and invoicing clerk at a place called chromalloy gas turbine corporation. A couple years later I joined the navy (the real navy) and worked on harriers

Not much engine work but I was qualified to work on Pegasus mk 105 and 107 jet engines.

Let's freak

OhWhopDaChamp

TMMAC Addict
Apr 20, 2015
I come from a long line of service. The guy my mom says is my father was in the Airforce and my oldest half sister had plans to join after college. Instead she smoked some meth and coke, became a paranoid yard shitter instead of joining to serve.

I grew up on military bases in the United States and Germany. My mom was the patriotic sort and often went to the NCO club and flashed her titts to the G.Is. She'd take several of her unhappily married friends, get them really drunk, then they'd stagger to the barracks and fuck them all.

My father also felt the need to keep moral up and took care of his units wives while their husbands were on TDY.

My second to the oldest sister had a military calling also. She dated three different homeless teens, gave them shelter, food, money, and pussy.

Once they were sufficiently groomed she sent them to the naval recruiter. They were all accepted and never came back for her. It's my theory that she had a grudge against the father guy so did not fuck for the Airforce out of pure spite.

Unfortunately I didn't feel any sense of patriotism and I've been able to buy alcohol myself since I was 12 yrs old, so I didn't feel the need to mingle with the mid 20 year old airmen who used to comb my high school. I did supply alibis, for a small fee, to the parents of my friends who wanted to fuck for their country.

I'm so glad I found this thread. Hi Brothers :)

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I spent 5 years in the U.S. Army as an MP. I served from 2005-2010. It was a good experience overall. I wanted to serve since I was a kid and after high school I needed to make a move. I wasn't mature enough to go to college right away and I needed some time to figure out what the hell I was going to do. The military is perfect for that.

Zizou

Sep 7, 2015
Joined the Air Force after high school in 2003. Did 10 years and got out as an E-6, took advantage of having embry riddle on every base I went and got my engineering degree. I miss a lot of it specially the comrades, but am glad to not have to be away from my family to deploy and to live wherever I want. It doesn't hurt that I don't have a bunch of politics to deal with and new butter bars to answer to!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
There aren't words to properly express my gratitude to those who've served and continue to. Thanks all of you.

P

Punch

I was 3rd generation military until my medical retirement. Now i just cuss a lot. :D

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Never joined, certainly the type.
I wanted Air Force since childhood, joined civil air patrol, memorized every military plane on earth. I just wanted to fly an F-15.
After some years in trouble, I tried a recruitment center. He told me I'd need a presidential pardon, and to try Marines as I could probably get in an AV-8B, which would been fine.
Again, presidential pardon.
Looking back, I'm glad I was saved from that. The camaraderie is too magnetic and meaningful for me, and what I thought was patriotic autonomy would've been blind faith to some corporate/industrial cause.
Not to mention possibly being stuck in VA bureaucracy until an early death.
Funny though, I get saluted often because of the way I carry on, size, haircut, etc.
Sorry I don't fit the technical criteria.
I'm an army of one.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #ASSBLOODS
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Never joined, certainly the type.
I wanted Air Force since childhood, joined civil air patrol, memorized every military plane on earth. I just wanted to fly an F-15.
After some years in trouble, I tried a recruitment center. He told me I'd need a presidential pardon, and to try Marines as I could probably get in an AV-8B, which would been fine.
Again, presidential pardon.
Looking back, I'm glad I was saved from that. The camaraderie is too magnetic and meaningful for me, and what I thought was patriotic autonomy would've been blind faith to some corporate/industrial cause.
Not to mention possibly being stuck in VA bureaucracy until an early death.
Funny though, I get saluted often because of the way I carry on, size, haircut, etc.
Sorry I don't fit the technical criteria.
I'm an army of one.
You could of ended up down in yuma if you went harriers

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
You could of ended up down in yuma if you went harriers

I actually moved to Colorado Springs off Academy in part to enjoy the atmosphere.
Between their high altitude storms, training opportunities(mma), my line of work, and F-15's blazing over, not to mention Olympic team center, it was paradise.