Lifestyle Mindhunter (Netflix)

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I can't get into these shows that leave the ending ambivalent. It's a cop-out. Either the show runners wrote themselves into a corner (American Vandal) or they want you to tune in next season, either way it feels manipulative.

A police procedural movie is fine (Zodiac), but a SERIES like that sucks. If I know it's not going to have a conclusion, I'm wasting my time. The character arcs have no ending. Bleh.
There's no ambiguous ending with this show because it's not about catching a single serial killer. All the serial killers are already behind bars. It's really about the birth of the criminal profiling unit at the FBI in the 70's.

I dunno. I find it to be a refreshing take on the serial killer procedural. That could all change in season 2. I've already read about the next season planning to focus on the Atlanta child murders.

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I can't get into these shows that leave the ending ambivalent. It's a cop-out. Either the show runners wrote themselves into a corner (American Vandal) or they want you to tune in next season, either way it feels manipulative.

A police procedural movie is fine (Zodiac), but a SERIES like that sucks. If I know it's not going to have a conclusion, I'm wasting my time. The character arcs have no ending. Bleh.
Its annoying to no end that they have not caught zodiac or onsear.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015
I didn't like it

too much acting not enough scenery
acting was OK

I do like the guy from fight club though....he needs to be in more shows

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
There's no ambiguous ending with this show because it's not about catching a single serial killer. All the serial killers are already behind bars. It's really about the birth of the criminal profiling unit at the FBI in the 70's.

I dunno. I find it to be a refreshing take on the serial killer procedural. That could all change in season 2. I've already read about the next season planning to focus on the Atlanta child murders.
I didnt realize how much a profound impact kemper had on profiling.

otaku1

TMMAC Addict
Jul 16, 2015
I loved it.
Can't wait for next season.

I'm gonna look into the book by the original guys who interviewed those freaks.

Yossarian

TMMAC Addict
Oct 25, 2015
Not a big fan.

Just started watching it and if they are trying to conivince me this is supposed to be the 70s, they are doing a mediocre job.

Directing is good, casting, not so good. The chick that goes naked a couple of times, can she even act? It also looks like she is dressed up as a seventies hippie for Halloween, not convincing at all. The relationship between the two feels forced, and seems implemented just to have some sex scenes in there. They have no connection at all.

When they watched A Dog Day Afternoon it really shows, it's like they are watching a movie from 30 years back while it is supposed to be from the same era. Do it right like Stranger Things. It feels lazy.

Big Ed and the other cop are great though and do most of the heavy lifting. I am second episode in but considering shutting it down. Does it get better? Or move on?

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I haven't. But I was watching Manhunt: Unabomber when you made that thread yesterday.
Love the fair play they are giving the killers in this series. Yes they did horrible things but its great to see a television drama giving the accurate story. Usually its all about sensationalizing these people in the worst way possible.

Shinkicker

For what it's worth
Jan 30, 2016
Love the fair play they are giving the killers in this series. Yes they did horrible things but its great to see a television drama giving the accurate story. Usually its all about sensationalizing these people in the worst way possible.
I'm not saying they deserve fair play. I enjoy watching but would worry about messages sent to my children. I see them getting less empathic to other people as time goes on. I want them to feel outrage and disdain towards murderers.

Btw, did you know that some man created an algorithm to catch serial killers? That was an interesting read.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
I loved it.
Can't wait for next season.

I'm gonna look into the book by the original guys who interviewed those freaks.
I would suggest looking into two books. they are both great reads (required for criminal justice majors).

Mindhunter by John Douglas (who Holden is based on) & Whoever Fights Monsters by Robert Ressler (inspiration for Tench).

Banchan

The Most Dangerous Dame
Oct 2, 2017
I'm not saying they deserve fair play. I enjoy watching but would worry about messages sent to my children. I see them getting less empathic to other people as time goes on. I want them to feel outrage and disdain towards murderers.

Btw, did you know that some man created an algorithm to catch serial killers? That was an interesting read.
Not so much they (killers) deserve their stories told in truth but people should know the accurate events of these crimes over a sensationalized story that lacks facts. The series does try to dig into why killers kill so accuracy is pretty necessary if you want to make an analysis of their psychology. Imo.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
anyone watching Season 2? this show keeps delivering.

ATL child murders, more BTK & the tease of Manson.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
food for thought.

"Despite what his detractors and accusers maintain, I believe there is no strong evidence linking him to all or even most of the deaths and disappearances of children in that city between 1979 and 1981. Young black and white children continue to die mysteriously in Atlanta. We have an idea who did some of the others. It isn’t a single offender and the truth isn’t pleasant. So far, though, there’s been neither the evidence nor the public will to seek indictments.”

- John Douglas, Mindhunter (1995)

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Season 2 was really good. I'm about to start it for the second time. I love that shit.

Daglord

Posting Machine
Jan 26, 2015
Season 2 was really good. I'm about to start it for the second time. I love that shit.
haven't finished yet, but was a CJ major forced to study the likes of Kemper, Chase, Bundy, Berkowitz, Gein, Manson, Dahmer, etc, for a few years. Prof was a profiler who had worked a few bigger cases. this shit has always fascinated me, probably my favorite new series.

The casting & story is accurate as fuck. I'm curious how they handle the skepticism Douglas had towards Wayne Williams being the sole killer (if they do at all). he has, at times, alluded to something much bigger than what we know IIRC.