Mirko Cro Cop Retires From Fighting

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014

Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic, a living legend in kickboxing and MMA, has retired from competition after a shoulder injury forced him to bow out of UFC Fight Night 79 in Seoul, South Korea.

It is not the first time the heavyweight has walked away from fighting, but at age 41 and facing what appears to be the latest in a series of significant and lingering injuries, this seems to be his last.

View: https://twitter.com/CroCopOfficial/status/664024482382770176?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

LINK: Mirko Cro Cop Retires After Shoulder Injury Forces UFC Seoul Withdrawal | Bleacher Report

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Damn, that is not the way I wanted to see him go out. Hoped he could walk away after face planting someone with another highlight reel kick. He was an amazing fighter. Always enjoyed watching him.

Maybe when he's 50 he will come out and fight for Rizin. Just kidding. Enjoy the retirement Crocop!

mmadotcomisufcdotcom

Oct 26, 2015
Days after flaming the Reebok deal. Any chance they tried to bitch him out behind the scenes and he responded by "fuck you, I'm retiring."

No way do I believe he retired because of his shoulder. Seems obvious.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Days after flaming the Reebok deal. Any chance they tried to bitch him out behind the scenes and he responded by "fuck you, I'm retiring."

No way do I believe he retired because of his shoulder. Seems obvious.
I doubt he got talked to about it, but I bet the reebok abortion played a part in his decision.

10 Yard Shìte

Never go full Rogan
Oct 25, 2015
You don't talk to Cro Cop. He flies down from a rope on a chopper on the black of midnight , interrogates you then headkicks your face into the next holding cell. Then in a flash of smoke he's gone and back home icing his balls still from 2007.

I hope Mirko told the UFC to shove it.

F*K Censorship

get what you can, then take the rest
Oct 27, 2015
I blame reebok, he sounded like he planned to fight for a few more years just recently, then he talks bad about reebok and now he's retired. If it was just a shoulder injury i think he would take a wait and see approach.

I think the worst thing he said was something about the poor quality, and that probably struck a nerve since thats what reebok is using as a selling point "Top Quality"

PaleAndGangly

Pro Member
Oct 20, 2015
I remember when he and BJ Penn retired around the same time. Twas a sad day. But I'm glad I got to see him fight some more. This just makes me want something else, like a legends league. Have people like Couture, Cro Cop, Liddell, Hughes...

Obi-Wan-In-A-Million

I'm the Wan you've been looking for.
Oct 29, 2015
A few years ago, after his first UFC stint, I wanted so desperately for him to retire. He was getting beaten up badly in seemingly every fight. Then he had his resurgence and now that he's gone, I'm pretty bummed. I'm happy that he gets to go out on an awesome win that avenged his toughest loss, but at the same time, the legends that got me and so many of the rest of you into the sport are almost gone. It's feeling more and more like the time of fighters has passed and given way to the time of the athletes and entertainers. :(

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Zuffa and whoever to blame wouldn't get back to him about letting him have the red checkerboard of the Croatian flag as his "extra logo" on the drab Soviet era-ish Crossfart instructor outifts they wear. The story came out recently, I can't imagine these two news items are coincidence.

Croatians take that shit seriously.

Topgrinder

Oct 24, 2015
One of my all time faves. I still have a training dvd from him that I have never seen cause they sent me a pal format DVD lol. I have a zvonimir security tshirt somewhere kickin too

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
A few years ago, after his first UFC stint, I wanted so desperately for him to retire. He was getting beaten up badly in seemingly every fight. Then he had his resurgence and now that he's gone, I'm pretty bummed. I'm happy that he gets to go out on an awesome win that avenged his toughest loss, but at the same time, the legends that got me and so many of the rest of you into the sport are almost gone. It's feeling more and more like the time of fighters has passed and given way to the time of the athletes and entertainers. :(
We still got our Vitor and He do buddy!lol I know what you mean. I've seen so many careers start and finish over the years. Its kind of sad.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
One of my all time faves. I still have a training dvd from him that I have never seen cause they sent me a pal format DVD lol. I have a zvonimir security tshirt somewhere kickin too
I got a bunch of PALs from Holland. Cheap Walmart DVD players work for them.

BJTT-Rizzo

Tanaka Clan
Feb 16, 2015
He was one of the scariest heavys in the world in his prime. He's a legit legend. I bought Pride PPVs just to see this man's LHK and strait missile punch.

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
This saddens me because he is my favorite MMA fighter / kickboxer of all-time. His fights against Bonjasky, Aerts, and Hoost are what made me a fan although he lost the majority of those fights. There was just something about how he threw straight lefts and uppercuts, he would seem to focus on making every punch or kick count. When he entered MMA I didn't know what to expect so of course I was excited when he was knocking people out left and right. His fight against Fedor is still for me the greatest fight in any combat sport that I've ever seen. His head kick KO's are some of the craziest in combat sport history.

My greatest memory of him will always be him winning the Pride open weight grand prix in 2006. I will never forget his reaction. It's too bad so many people didn't see him in kickboxing and in Pride and they only know him from his two stints in the UFC. He is my fighting hero not only because he was so exciting and hit so hard, but also because of his humility. When he fought Anthony Perosh he felt bad because Perosh had such heart and he was hurting him so bad but he made sure to point it out after the fight. He is a living legend.

Virtually Identical

Posting Machine
Jul 12, 2015
UFC announced today that a scheduled bout between Mirko Cro Cop and Anthony Hamilton in Seoul, South Korea has been canceled. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has notified both Mirko Cro Cop and UFC that he has been provisionally suspended at this time due to a potential Anti-Doping Policy violation.

USADA, the independent administrator of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy, will handle the results management and appropriate adjudication of this case involving Cro Cop. Additional information will be provided at the appropriate time in the process.

Hamilton will be booked for a new bout on a card in the near future.

UFC Statement on Mirko Cro Cop | UFC &reg - News

Topsy

Jun 9, 2015
"Potential" gets you a suspension?
No more info on what this "Potential" fathoms too??

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
"Potential" gets you a suspension?
No more info on what this "Potential" fathoms too??
Yeah, that's what I found weird too. If it's potential, that means he might have been in violation and you could get suspended for that? Strange rules over there...

KWingJitsu

ยาเม็ดสีแดงหรือสีฟ้ายา?
Nov 15, 2015
Sooo.... was it the suspension (face it we knew he was roiding) or the Reebok deal?

Carbazel

Freelance MMA Analyst
Aug 8, 2015
Sooo.... was it the suspension (face it we knew he was roiding) or the Reebok deal?
I think he knew he was on heavy meds for his old fightin' ass( no disrespect, I'm the same age), and knew he'd pop for something. If you need all that chemical "help" to compete, best to retire and leave it to the young un's.