MMA Becoming Boxing

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I don't just mean entire cards full of literally who's with 1 fight you care about. I mean fighters starting their careers by fighting people who have no business being in the cage with them. I don't want to single people out but, to make the point, I have to.

Ottman Azaitar is a recent example. Some very weak fighters on his record. But I what made me feel the need to point this problem out was a fighter from tonight's card. Nadia Kassem.

Her opponents' records, going backwards, are as follows:

Pro:

10-5 (9-4 when they fought)
5-5 (5-3 when they fought)

Those are okay. And even so, if you're in the UFC, you take what you're given. But then you have...

0-1
0-3 (opponent making debut when they fought)
0-6 (opponent 0-4 when they fought)
0-1

Amateur:

1-1 (opponent making debut when they fought)

There's something wrong with this. Boxing has been doing it forever and it's really gross. I really hope this doesn't become more common but I fear it will.

Filthy

Iowa Wrestling Champion
Jun 28, 2016
the first 5 fights in a pro career are basically "should you be a pro" fights. If you come out of those fight undefeated, you'll start getting matched up with .500 fighters. Basically, everyone who was 5-0 and lost some fights. :)

In boxing, the record padding comes in during the next 10 fights, because a 10-0 boxer is legit but not as marketable as a 20-0 boxer.
I think UFC is just dealing with shallow talent pools in some divisions, so you see 'pro' records like Nadia's.

WEWEREONABREAK

First 100
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
It seems a recent phenomenon that mixed martial artists are fighting true cans at the start of their careers.

In any case, should someone be able to get into the UFC on a strength of schedule that amounts to 1-11? That person may very well be elite but they've yet to prove it.