MMA card cancelled, police show up, promoters flee

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Ted Williams' head

It's freezing in here!
Sep 23, 2015
MMA card canceled, police arrive, fighters not paid - Chaos at Diamond World Fights

There was a lot of hype going in to what was to be a new mixed martial arts venture in the state of Delaware on Friday night. Diamond World Fights promoter Gail Stallings Minor was to hold a show at the University of Delaware’s premiere athletic facility, The Bob Carpenter Center, October 5.

The show was heavily promoted in the fact that it was one of the first to be promoted by an African American woman. According to the Diamond World Fights website, Minor is a former TV reporter and Talk Show host who abandoned the news industry to take on a Government Public Relations Position. She runs the firm, Stallings Minor & Associates, with her son Wali Minor.

Rumors began circulating earlier in the day that the promoters did not have enough funds to pay the fighters. Fights started being canceled, and the competitors started frustrating their grievances on social media.

Crazy shit. Apparently there was no money to pay anyone, the cops showed up and the promoters took off running. Closed down all their social media pages. Fighters were in the back warming up and were told the show was cancelled.

Sad for the fighters and everyone else who put all the work and money into preparing for a fight only to have this shit happen.

steroid to heaven

Colonize the Sun
Dec 23, 2015
african american woman promoter!?!?!?!?!

i'd scream racism and sexism, but its common for promoters to blow it this way

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
african american woman promoter!?!?!?!?!

i'd scream racism and sexism, but its common for promoters to blow it this way
The only color that mattered in this promotion was Green. There just wasn't enough of it to go around.

FrankieNYC

"My balls was hot!"
Aug 13, 2017
This is what happens when you don't put money in escrow
@Miesha's Taint ;)

Bottom of article:
It should be noted that there is speculation that the event was officially sanctioned by both the Delaware Division of Professional Regulation and the World Kickboxing Association (WKA). The card should be backed by a bond, so fighters could at least receive their show pay. MyMMANews has reached out to the WKA for comment but as of press time has not yet received response.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
I remember something like this happening at a Titan show. It was like 2 hours late while the state athletic commission waited for them to have the money on hand to pay the pro fighters.