MMA critics readying ad to fight legalization in NY

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
MMA critics readying ad to fight legalization in NY - NY Daily News

"Here is an expanded version of an item from my "Albany Insider" column that ran in Monday's online edition:

Worried critics of legalizing mixed martial arts in New York are preparing a television ad and an aggressive media campaign now that Carl Heastie has replaced Sheldon Silver as Assembly speaker.

Heastie in the past has been a co-sponsor on the legislation to legalize the controversial support.

The ad buy from a group calling itself Go Away MMA could begin running this week with a “very targeted” buy on New York City and Albany cable stations, a source close to the campaign said.

Neither Go Away MMA or those unions, legislators and others affiliated with have registered with the state ethics commission that they will be lobbying against the legalization of mixed martial arts, which some supporters of the sport say could be a legal no-no.

But a source tied to the group said if such reporting is required, it will be done so before the ad goes up...."

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
With Sheldon Silver out of the way, it's time for NY to join the 21st century and allow pro MMA. In a state which constantly screams for revenue, continuing to pass up the $$ professional MMA would generate makes zero sense. Go Away MMA is entitled to air their spots, and the NY MMA community needs to overwhelm the Assembly with their voices!

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
With Sheldon Silver out of the way, it's time for NY to join the 21st century and allow pro MMA. In a state which constantly screams for revenue, continuing to pass up the $$ professional MMA would generate makes zero sense. Go Away MMA is entitled to air their spots, and the NY MMA community needs to overwhelm the Assembly with their voices!

ECC170

Monster's 11,ATM 2,Parlay Challenge,Hero GP Champ
Pro Fighter
Jan 23, 2015
But unregulated fights like out of a van damme movie go unnoticed in small gym in NYC..they probably hope somebody dies so they can use that as an example...What a JOKE

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
The amateur sport is legal, but unregulated. 1600 amateurs fought in NY in 2014, with no medical or drug testing. Right now, NY is the most dangerous place in the Western Hemisphere to practice mixed martial arts.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
The amateur sport is legal, but unregulated. 1600 amateurs fought in NY in 2014, with no medical or drug testing. Right now, NY is the most dangerous place in the Western Hemisphere to practice mixed martial arts.
Interesting stuff. Awesome to have you signed up and participating in discussion like this.

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
Thanks for the good words. Good to be here.
As a New Yorker and an avid MMA supporter, it's important to me to get the message out! For 6 years in a row, the NYS Senate has passed legislation legalizing professional MMA, and making it subject to the NYS Athletic Commission, one of the most stringent regarding medical and drug testing. Each time, the Assembly, led by the now former Speaker Silver, let the bill die without a vote. With Silver having resigned due to a federal corruption investigation (shocking!), NOW is time to get all resources to bear to get this passed this year!

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Thanks for the good words. Good to be here.
As a New Yorker and an avid MMA supporter, it's important to me to get the message out! For 6 years in a row, the NYS Senate has passed legislation legalizing professional MMA, and making it subject to the NYS Athletic Commission, one of the most stringent regarding medical and drug testing. Each time, the Assembly, led by the now former Speaker Silver, let the bill die without a vote. With Silver having resigned due to a federal corruption investigation (shocking!), NOW is time to get all resources to bear to get this passed this year!
Nice to have an east coaster join. This forum is flooded with west coast hippies!

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I'd like to see NY approve mma, but only in a ring and with unique rules to keep the evil empire out and to provide a base for an alternative to UFC style cage fighting to emerge

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
I just hope the bill passes. I think they'll leave it up to the Athletic Commission to decide the rules.

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
I think NY has always been a leader regarding fighter safety and stringent drug testing. Having said that, I think that adoption of the unified rules would be a safe assumption, when and IF the pro sport is legalized.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I'd love to see Glory run a mixed card at MSG. NY is the last entity that stands between Zuffa and total monopoly. I realize it's a pipe dream but I do hope there is some discussion going on behind close doors along these lines with some persuasive (and well financed) voices. Imagine the possibilities.

megatherium

el rey del mambo
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
I think NY has always been a leader regarding fighter safety and stringent drug testing. Having said that, I think that adoption of the unified rules would be a safe assumption, when and IF the pro sport is legalized.
The objection is to Zuffa, not to mma in my opinion. I just wonder what would happen if they were presented with a non Zuffa alternative.

People that don't like Zuffa could do them real harm by adopting non Unified rules mma. I have a hunch you would see the culinary union drop it's anti-mma stance quickly.

Team Bisping

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Is it really all down to the culinary union for MMA not being legalised? Seems like bullshit but then when the largest MMA organisation in the world parent company has obvious ties to criminal underworld and doesn't allow any kind of union, shit like this will bite you in the ass....

The UFC wants us to blame corrupt politicians? that's seems a bit rich for me but i'm just assuming a few things.

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
While the Zuffas may not be the poster boys for clean living and spotless reputations, the disproportionate influence of the union on the now-departed Speaker of the Assembly has been well-documented. To deprive the cities (Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester, etc.), counties and the state of badly-needed jobs and revenue, as well as preventing dedicated athletes from earning a living from the sport they chose and love, because of that influence borders on the criminal. It was the former Speaker who prevented bills allowing pro MMA, which had overwhelmingly passed the NYS Senate, to be brought to a vote in the Assembly. The former Speaker is the subject of a federal corruption investigation, which may or may not be tied to the situation surrounding the legalization and regulation of professional MMA. The ban hasn't slowed the growth of MMA, in general, or UFC, in particular, so continuing with it seems foolish.
The opportunity to overturn the ban has never been greater and the MMA community needs to raise its collective voice to the politicians in Albany to make it happen!