MMA Fighters, You Have More Power Than You Think

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

ErikMagraken

Posting Machine
Apr 9, 2015
Republished from combatsportslaw.com

Despite the grit of combat sports athletes when facing each other in the ring or cage, few have similar nerve in standing up for themselves and demanding contractual reform. One sided contractual terms are common and are rarely challenged through the judicial process. Fighters fear the pen which can be mightier than the sword. Fighters also should not hold their breath hoping legislatures will fix ‘oppressive’ MMA contracts any time soon.

This week the UFC / Reebok uniform sponsorship numbers were leaked and these revealed a significant income cut for many of the UFC’s fighters.

The reaction from fighters has not been positive with many voicing displeasure:

So what can fighters do about developments such as this? As Mitrione points out, standing out from the crowd makes a fighter a target. Few are brave enough to take the hit if it means sacrificing much needed pay.

The solution is strength in numbers. If a critical mass of fighters band together (hint a MMA Fighters Association) it would not take much to stand up and demand minimum reforms to create a better playing field between MMA fighters and promoters.

Minimum terms can be demanded such as limits on contract length, elimination of contract matching clauses, elimination of champions clause contract extensions (ie – preventing free agency when an athlete is at their most valuable), allowing athletes to have limited rights to their fight footage for self promotional purposes (take a look at Bas Rutten’s YouTube Channel to see the value in this) and less restrictive sponsorship terms.

This can be achieved. It just takes will and action. Imagine if enough fighters were on the same page and refused to take further fights unless sensible across the board contract terms were required going forward? A promoter can’t force an athlete to fight. Imagine if a promoter could not fill a fight card? Change would come quickly.

Instead of tweeting displeasure MMA fighters should work together for common reform. Its in their own interest and in the interest for the long term survival of the sport. Fighters, you have more power than you think. If you work together you don’t have to fear the pen, you can pick it up and use its strength as your own.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Great stuff Erik. The question that continues to be asked however is, what's it going to take to get the fighters to band together? Who's going to lead the charge? If this Reebok deal doesn't unite them, then nothing will in my opinion.

ErikMagraken

Posting Machine
Apr 9, 2015
Great stuff Erik. The question that continues to be asked however is, what's it going to take to get the fighters to band together? Who's going to lead the charge? If this Reebok deal doesn't unite them, then nothing will in my opinion.
The momentum gathering in the wake of the Reebok numbers is the most I have seen. Personally I see the efforts of the anti trust suit (whether it is successful in court or not) as being a great gathering point for fighters. Hopefully, if nothing else, a meaningful association is formed from the efforts where basic contractual reforms are achieved.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Such a simple and recognized tactic of course but I think the timing is right at the moment. I'd love to see these guys find somebody to take a leadership role and start to take advantage of the momentum that's been building.

P

Punch

Somebody call Wandy... you know he ain't fighting right now!
I keed, I keed. :p

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
With these new sponsorship changes, managers are being more marginalized than ever, as well as being hit in the pocket. It is not just fighters who are losing out from this deal, but managers, who find these sponsorship and take a cut, are taking a hit. With their networking skills and the number of fighters on their books, they could help steer fighters towards a Union. Fighters getting better deals are in their interest, and it is what they are getting paid for, they should be advocating it to every fighter on their books at this point.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Since GSP is retired he should really try and help the other fighters out to form a union. He knows the game, the ppv number system, his popular.

I think someone needs to lead this thing. UFC is trying to rule through dissemination. Trying to get the fighters to fight with on another behind the scenes and keeping everything a secret.

P

Punch

Since GSP is retired he should really try and help the other fighters out to form a union. He knows the game, the ppv number system, his popular.

I think someone needs to lead this thing. UFC is trying to rule through dissemination. Trying to get the fighters to fight with on another behind the scenes and keeping everything a secret.
I would LOVE to see GSP do this.

Ryann Von Doom

The Man
Jan 28, 2015
The guys at the top will get sizeable incentive not to help the lower rung guys. It happened with prowrestling and it'll happen here.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Really, now is the time to bring Jon Jones around.

Whether you think he's a douchebag or that he should go to jail for what he recently did or not, it's undeniable that stripping a champion for violating the code of conduct (unrelated to in cage performance) is unprecedented and the fact that there's no uniform standard of discipline to go with the code of conduct is an issue.

If he could start to support the pro-union side, even with his recent missteps, it would ultimately be huge.

Guys like Rampage attempting to opt out of their contracts in other organizations would also be a natural fit, but the UFC's opposition to organizing means Rampage would never get on board.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
Really, now is the time to bring Jon Jones around.

Whether you think he's a douchebag or that he should go to jail for what he recently did or not, it's undeniable that stripping a champion for violating the code of conduct (unrelated to in cage performance) is unprecedented and the fact that there's no uniform standard of discipline to go with the code of conduct is an issue.

If he could start to support the pro-union side, even with his recent missteps, it would ultimately be huge.

Guys like Rampage attempting to opt out of their contracts in other organizations would also be a natural fit, but the UFC's opposition to organizing means Rampage would never get on board.
I think Jon Jones is only about Jon Jones. The minute he brings this up, UFC will hand him a cheque as hush money and he will probably go quiet.

lookoutawhale

Mammal of the Sea
Jan 20, 2015
They did that with Jose Aldo. He was talking about he wasnt getting paid enough, then Brian J. D'Souza @Brian J. D'Souza asks him about fighter pay and bam he says hes paid well and quiets up. Im sure he got a fat paycheque behind the scenes so he doesnt join the class action lawsuit.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
They did that with Jose Aldo. He was talking about he wasnt getting paid enough, then Brian J. D'Souza @Brian J. D'Souza asks him about fighter pay and bam he says hes paid well and quiets up. Im sure he got a fat paycheque behind the scenes so he doesnt join the class action lawsuit.
Zuffa operates eerily similar to the way mafia did in so many ways. Paying that hush money in this instance.

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
I don't think they give out hush money as much as they threaten that it'll affect contract negotiations. In Aldo's case he wasn't even talking so much about his own pay as about Barao and other teammates, but threw himself in as well. In the D'Souza interview, I got the sense he was put on the spot and didn't want to give a direct answer for fear of reprisals.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I don't think they give out hush money as much as they threaten that it'll affect contract negotiations. In Aldo's case he wasn't even talking so much about his own pay as about Barao and other teammates, but threw himself in as well. In the D'Souza interview, I got the sense he was put on the spot and didn't want to give a direct answer for fear of reprisals.
I almost feel like I should be smacked for questioning one of the great posters here, but I'm going to stick my neck out and hope it doesn't get lopped off. If I remember correctly kneeblock @Kneeblock, Aldo has done some interviews over the last couple of years, where he complained about his pay. Zuffa has never properly promoted him either, which reduced his PPV buys...thus reducing his overall earnings. So I don't think it was him talking about Barao and others at Nova Uniao.

Here's an article from December right here where he flat out states they (fighters) should be paid more and treated better: Jose Aldo still unhappy about his UFC pay: 'We virtually pay to fight' - Bloody Elbow

Here's another from June of last year: UFC champ Jose Aldo still not happy with pay | Cagewriter - Yahoo Sports

I agree that Brian J. D'Souza @Brian J. D'Souza put him on the spot, and he was scared to answer for fear of reprisal...but he has complained about his pay many times before, and press conferences are a platform for questions to be asked. Personally, I would have loved to see him say "I've said it many times before...we don't get paid enough, and we don't get treated well enough. And although I may be reprimanded by Dana and the UFC, I feel like I owe to myself and every other fighter out there, to tell the truth about what's going on. We deserve better and until that happens, I will continue to speak my mind." Because that's what it's going to take in order for change to occur.

Last edited:

kneeblock

Drapetomaniac
Apr 18, 2015
Wild @I Wild Each It I'm not disagreeing at all but the distinction I'm making is Aldo's complaints have stood out among others because he's always used the word "we" and not as a lower pay fighter. He's usually couched his pay criticisms in terms of all fighters, especially those from Brazil.

I think when he commented on it from D'Souza's question he didn't want to get caught in the trap of saying "I don't get paid enough" when beating the drum for guys making 1/10th what he is and then have the UFC turn around and report his bonuses alongside his base. They've done this numerous times, with Randy being the best example and Nick Diaz being a more recent one.

Jose isn't stupid and most of the fighters know how skilled the UFC is at undermining solidarity. The Fertittas have decades of practice.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Wild @I Wild Each It I'm not disagreeing at all but the distinction I'm making is Aldo's complaints have stood out among others because he's always used the word "we" and not as a lower pay fighter. He's usually couched his pay criticisms in terms of all fighters, especially those from Brazil.

I think when he commented on it from D'Souza's question he didn't want to get caught in the trap of saying "I don't get paid enough" when beating the drum for guys making 1/10th what he is and then have the UFC turn around and report his bonuses alongside his base. They've done this numerous times, with Randy being the best example and Nick Diaz being a more recent one.

Jose isn't stupid and most of the fighters know how skilled the UFC is at undermining solidarity. The Fertittas have decades of practice.
Ah ok, makes sense. The whole thing pisses me off, and makes my head spin.