MMA Hater in local newspaper

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

John M

Feb 10, 2015
Guy wrote a letter to the editor in our local paper. Really hate to see these people still around. Anyways, I responded and am told it will be published tomorrow.

His letter:

Just so stupid

Our country is unique and amazing in how many different kinds of Americans there are. There are a couple channels on cable TV that broadcast programs about fit young men and women that climb into a cage and then with bare feet and thin gloves try to brutally kick and punch one another into bloody submission. All of this is to the rousing shouts and cheers from a packed, rabid crowd.

I think this so-called sport is abhorrent, barbaric, exploitative and just so stupid. I don’t expect much negative feedback about my opinion. Any persons opposed would have to have regular access to this newspaper and they would have to have the ability to read.

John Baccus

My response:

Painful ignorance

This is in response to the letter written by Mr. John Baccus on April 3rd. Mr. Baccus wrote a scathingly uneducated letter about a sport he clearly knows nothing about, as he failed to even call it by its name, Mixed Martial Arts. MMA blends all those ancient martial arts so many grew up on: boxing, wrestling, Judo, Karate, into one beautiful match. It is competition in its purest form, and the sportsmanship and artistry displayed inside that cage is something to behold. Sadly, Mr. Baccus and quite a few others are still stuck on John McCain’s “human cockfighting” ideology of the 1990’s, even though Senator McCain and nearly everyone else has evolved, now supporting this wonderful sport. While I understand it’s not for everyone, calling it “abhorrent” and “stupid” is just plain silly.

I implore everyone to shed that plague of ignorance and give MMA a chance. Learn about the sport, check out great fighters like Georges St-Pierre or Fedor Emelianenko. You may just become part of that “rabid crowd” Mr. Baccus so disdainfully refers to.

John Minster

Sucks to see people like this still around. I hope I did the sport justice here, and I'm glad I don't live in Australia or France. Would have written a lot more, but there's a word limit and I'm right on it.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Don't mind the manginas, survival of the fittest would have swallowed them whole in more "Barbaric Times"

Good response though.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
did it ever occur to john baccus that if he doesnt like it he can change the channel?? you dont have to like everything .i dont like watching golf but im not going to write a letter to the papaer over. it. im just not going to watch it.as for barbaric and abhorrent he obviously doesnt understand what he is watching.mma isnt brutal .if you can appreciate the skill and technique it is a thing of beauty.thats why its called martial arts.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
did it ever occur to john baccus that if he doesnt like it he can change the channel?? you dont have to like everything .i dont like watching golf but im not going to write a letter to the papaer over. it. im just not going to watch it.as for barbaric and abhorrent he obviously doesnt understand what he is watching.mma isnt brutal .if you can appreciate the skill and technique it is a thing of beauty.thats why its called martial arts.
No no, it's more important for Ned Flanders to complain than accept he can't sanitize the world through his complaints and/or fulfil his need to see himself expressed in written form under the delusion that he matters.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I agree with him. I only post here because I got banned from my brony forum for laying with another man's cartoon nag

John M

Feb 10, 2015
Lol. What a pussy
Also my first thought, but I live in an area with a lot of rich old people, so I'm just hoping to give people a new perspective a little bit and change the first reactions. And plus it's a newspaper so more old people are going to be reading. Normally I wouldn't care, but something this blatantly silly I felt like just had to be addressed.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Bravo John M @John M. Way to intelligently lay the smack down. Proof people can be educated, and arguments can be won, without calling someone a faggot or douchebag. Well done sir.

SongExotic2

ATM 3 CHAMPION OF THE WORLD. #FREECAIN
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Hmm I didn't hit post. My guess is splinty is StagIng a coup. I'd watch him, he has shifty eyes

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Fuckin dumb.

Implying that MMA fans can't read? Sounds like a goddamn UG troll!

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
I like that you used GSP and Fedor as examples, however you messed up the order of the name dropping.

Spazebra

Apr 7, 2015
This attitude was typical in the late 1990's and led to the then-Gov. George Pataki getting professional MMA banned in New York State. Your thoughtful and well-written reply is precisely the method MMA fans need to employ to show that the sport, and its supporters, have evolved past those days. As we here in NY continue the fight to get the pro sport legalized and regulated, it's responses like yours that we need to carry the fight and win the day!
Well done!