MMA history?...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
Have two titles switched hands in the same night (in the same org.) before?

I'm sure they have, but has it happened in such a high-profile event?

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
UFC 46.

Penn over Hughes, to become two div champ

Vitor over Couture

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
The relative profile then I think was pretty huge

SickEye

"Sim sala bim bamba sala do saladim"
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
JK, I was probably in my 20's for UFC 46...but if you have to go that far back for a night where two belts changed hands, then it's still pretty special!

ChaosOverkill

First 100
Jan 16, 2015
That's just one of them I found I don't know if there are any since then.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
UFC 92 Rashad beat Forrest and Mir Beat Nog for interim heavyweight belt

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I was more impressed with how the two challengers absolutely dominated the two champs who were thought to be the favorite, great performances.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
UFC 92. I remember because I had over 30 people at my house that night, every single one of them casual fans. I spent a month or more hyping up how Wanderlei and Nogueira were going to DESTROY their opponents. Like they had no chance against these legends. For many of the people there that night, the only MMA fights they'd ever seen were Wand vs Rampage 1 and 2 at my house a week prior, and various highlights of Wandy and Nog wrecking shop in PRIDE.

I explained that Nog had NEVER, EVER been finished and someone like Mir would have no chance. Back then, Mir was not known for his hands AT ALL and was seen as having a bad chin - with Nog being the opposite.. The man who just could NEVER be knocked out.. I told em all.. They were so excited to watch these 2 larger than life figures destroy their opposition in a beautiful display of violence.

I remember going around myspace and posting this gif of Wandy to everyone's comments - holding up 3 fingers and slicing his throat, as if to say he was gonna kill Rampage for the 3rd time.

Lol

: (

When Wand got knocked out by Rampage, I almost got in a fight with my douchebag cousin, because he thought it was funny to rub it in in front of a bunch of chics lol. The room was totally silent when Wand got KO'd except for him laughing at me haha. I got seriously emotionally invested back then. I blew up and was like "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MMA, OR BOXING EVEN, YOU CAN'T EVEN NAME FIVE FIGHTERS RIGHT NOW" haha... Hey I was like 18, soooo.. douchines excused... at least I wasn't wearing a Tapout or Affliction shirt

That memory will always stay with me as the reason why I won't tell casual fans who I think is gonna win before a fight. It never seems to work out. Every time I'd have people over to watch my favorites fight, they'd get wrecked. EVERY TIME haha. My friends are like a curse

I had like 20 people over for Fedor/Werdum also. Only a few knew who Fedor was, but the ones who did knew he was the GOAT and had seen a few of his fights live with me on TV, like the Affliction shows and the Rogers fight. They were shocked, the room was silent.. Then all of a sudden a random kid goes "I thought he was supposed to be the best ever".. I was like "he is, who is your favorite again?" He goes "Forrest Griffin"... I just didn't even bother.

But 92 was the worst..Because of the amount of people I had and how much I'd been hyping up Wand and Nog. Couldn't believe 2 of my heroes got destroyed that night and I had specifically thrown the fight party for allllll my friends to watch THEM. Haha. Typical

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
^^^ this has happened to me so many times it's ridiculous.

Tiiimmmaaayyy

First 100 ish
Jan 19, 2015
Sounds like Galanis and I have the same type of luck. I would have never thought Fedor would lose to Werdum back then.

I almost never talk shit anymore because that's what happens. I said ALMOST.

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
UFC 92. I remember because I had over 30 people at my house that night, every single one f them casual fans, and I spent a month hyping up how Wanderlei and Nogueira were going to DESTROY their opponents. Like they had no chance against these legends. For many of the people there that night, the only MMA fights they'd ever seen were Wand vs Rampage 1 and 2 at my house a week prior, and various highlights of Wandy and Nog wrecking shop in PRIDE.\

I explained that Nog had NEVER, EVER been finished and someone like Mir would have no chance. I remember going around myspace and posting this gif of Wandy to everyone's comments - holding up 3 fingers and slicing his throat, as if to say he was gonna kill Rampage for the 3rd time.

Lol

: (

When Wand got knocked out by Rampage I almost got in a fight with my douche cousin because he thought t was funny to rub it in, in front of a bunch of chics lol. The room was totally silent when Wand got KO'd except for him laughing at me haha. I got seriously emotionally invested back then. I blew up and was like "YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MMA, OR BOXING EVEN, YOU CAN'T EVEN NAME FIVE FIGHTERS RIGHT NOW" haha... Hey I was like 18, soooo.. douchines excused... at least I wasn't wearing a Tapout or Affliction shirt

That memory will always stay with me as the reason why I won't tell casual fans who I think is gonna win before a fight. It never seems to work out. Every time I'd have people over to watch my favorites fight, they'd get wrecked. EVERY TIME haha. My friends are like a curse

I had like 20 people over for Fedor/Werdum also. Only a few knew who Fedor was, but the ones who did knew he was the GOAT and had seen a few of his fights live with me on TV, like the Affliction shows and the Rogers fight. They were shocked, the room was silent.. Then all of a sudden a random kid goes "I thought he was supposed to be the best ever".. I was like "he is, who is your favorite again?" He goes "Forrest Griffin"... I just didn't even bother.

But 92 was the worst.. Cuz of the amount of people I had and how much I'd been hyping up Wand and Nog. Couldn't believe 2 of my heroes got destroyed that night at and I had specifically thrown the fight party for allllll my friends to watch those 2 guys. Haha. Typical
There is so much gold in this one post. Fight with the douchy cousin, MYSPACE, losing your shit and going off. Greatness!

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Γαλάνης @Galanis haha, I think we all have been there. I remember when Crocop was about to come to the UFC and I was running my mouth about what a destroyer he was to all the casuals at the Gym I was working at at the time. I was the go to mma guy there, as 99% that watched any mma were UFC casuals. So Crocop comes in and the Sanchez fight was meh, nobody was impressed. Well after hyping right leg hospital, left leg cemetery for months, he then faces GG.......Boom, I looked like a fuckin noob.

Γαλάνης

The Wallabee Champ
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Γαλάνης @Galanis haha, I think we all have been there. I remember when Crocop was about to come to the UFC and I was running my mouth about what a destroyer he was to all the casuals at the Gym I was working at at the time. I was the go to mma guy there, as 99% that watched any mma were UFC casuals. So Crocop comes in and the Sanchez fight was meh, nobody was impressed. Well after hyping right leg hospital, left leg cemetery for months, he then faces GG.......Boom, I looked like a fuckin noob.

Dude I HATED this fight. I was watching with my cousin who owned an MMA org here that was putting on lots of shows. Gabriel Gonzaga lived in our town and opened his first school here where he was training at the time for a couple years. Many of his team members (Team Link Ludlow) fought on my cousin's shows.. So we got to know Gabe pretty good. He was and is SUCH A NICE FUCKING GUY. On top of that, we were watching at a sports bar downtown, with ALL of the Team Link people/teammates and dozens if not a hundred other people from the local fight scene.

I was not the only one torn because I remember talking to this dude Travis (who later fought the same cousin mentioned above in his own promotion.. and beat him haha) and his favorite fighter was CroCop.. but he knew Gabe and was thinking the same thing as me. Only, he knew Gabriel a lot better than I did, I was just an acquaintance because I worked for my cousin at the shows (doing backstage shit, helping corners/fighters get ready, like a Burt Watson job actually just nowhere near as good as him haha).. But anyway

EVERYONE wanted Gonzaga to win that night. I did too, because obviously the upset would be gigantic and propel him to superstardom, title shot, etc.. Which it all did of course. The reaction in the bar was INSANE, I have never ever been around people reacting like that to any sports moment since - SuperBowls, boxing, other MMA, etc. I'm sure anyone who has been in a similar situation can relate.

Anyway.. sorry for the long post but figured if we're sharing stories you guys might enjoy this one too haha. So seekntruth @seekntruth I know your pain... Even though I was happy Gonzaga won.. My soul was crushed for CroCop, and obviously we never ever saw the same guy that won the 2006GP again. Never could've guessed this. Even though Gonzaga had power and knocked out a few lower level guys. NO ONE ever would've thought he'd "CroCop CroCop" as everyone likes to say.

Fuck I wish I had a video of that day. Any other similar stories guys? I was in the same bar for Kimbo vs Seth, and Kimbo vs Thompson. I was 19 at this time haha but we held the MMA shows there sometimes, with a small area of seats but mostly standing room only. Crazy how packed it would get. We'd hold them on the night of a big fight starting around 5 pm on a Saturday, be done by whatever time when the actual fight was on TV (UFC or EliteXC) and then have the after party downstairs with the fight on like 50 TVs. Free drinks, food, hanging out with dudes, etc.

Nick Newell had his first ever fights in this same bar for my cousin's promotion.. Saw him fight a few times there, including one awesome win by arm bar. He's another one whose story is fucking crazy. MAN I miss those days so much, I got to do so much cool shit as a fan of this sport. I gotta get back into local MMA scene somehow. It changed a lot.. all of the stuff we did was pre regulation and once it got regulated a lot of people just quit instead of paying fees, licenses, commission bullshit, blah blah.

I know we have a certain member on here (if he reads this I'll let him speak up on it himself lol) who worked for Elite XC and must have WAY better stories than this.. If he doesn't see this post by tomorrow I'll tag him and maybe we can get him to share

Anyone else with super off topic, randomly awesome MMA stories - please, do go on a 20 minute rant and share.. I sure did!