MMA Judging solved

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Hwoarang

TMMAC Addict
Oct 22, 2015
Nah, they defi need to score more close rounds as draws, but to go to a default draw would turn into a shit fest as fighters who are losing the fight would just start running away from the fight and not engaging until the final bell to get the draw.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Nah, they defi need to score more close rounds as draws, but to go to a default draw would turn into a shit fest as fighters who are losing the fight would just start running away from the fight and not engaging until the final bell to get the draw.
Turn disengaging from being a deduction to being a dq.

Jan 21, 2015
Another option is to have random surprise 'celebrity judges' that are announced as names on the card.

These appearances could be fighters, ex-fighters, movie stars, sports stars - anyone really that is known by the fans (obviously lots of cross-promotion $$$s potential; if the Rock has a new movie coming out for instance he could be a card's surprise celebrity judge, or Jack Black etc)

Publicly advertise the celebrity judge concept for each event as an added marketing ploy. Introduce them at the event, have them walk around the octagon or say a few words with Rogan about what they'll be looking for etc... then at the end of any fight that goes the distance, they could have a dramatic decision where the celeb reads their cards aloud (drumroll, etc) like thumbs up thumbs down Caesar moment or something. Interviews after about why they made the decisions.

This way it makes the judging fun, and the criteria could change and flow from card to card. Fighters would take better warning to finish their fights as to 'never leave it in the hands of the judges', but if it does go to the card's celebrity judge, its anyone game but no one can be upset at the decision because they know its already fucked, lol Their fault for not finishing and leaving it in the hands of Conan O'Brien etc

That, or PRIDE rules.

Jan 21, 2015
More seriously, I like the idea I read somewhere recently about showing the judges cards live as if it was a scoreboard and everyone can see who is ahead or not.

Why not? That would be super exciting imo

I even don't see why they couldn't make an actual live scoreboard like in BJJ tournaments where every time a fighter scores a significant moment a judge would add a point and the scoreboard would go up live for everyone to see even before the round is over. Shit would be crazy because by the end points could be in the hundreds and could sway drastically, a fighter maybe racking up 20-30 points in a round, then the other coming back and jumping way ahead etc

Holy shit that would be exciting. Start up orgs should experiment with it

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
1) Post scorecards after every round. That would get some fighters to work harder.

2) Use ex-fighters as judges and not idiots that don't know what they are watching.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
The solution to the problem is:

1) No judges
2) if the fight goes the distance it's a draw by default

It's honestly that simple.

Less=more

Less judges, less variables, equals more pure.

Let me ask this to anyone/everyone-

Think of every close fight, every split decision outcome, and ask yourself, if they ruled the fight a draw, could they still have done future matches based on the performance instead of the outcome?

(The answer is a simple yes)

tookien

Feb 13, 2020
It's honestly that simple.

Less=more

Less judges, less variables, equals more pure.

Let me ask this to anyone/everyone-

Think of every close fight, every split decision outcome, and ask yourself, if they ruled the fight a draw, could they still have done future matches based on the performance instead of the outcome?

Correct.

We already have the problem under the current rules where fighters will attempt to go the distance because they are confident they have already "won" the fight LOL

I believe there should be a punishment for that kind of tactic because the purpose of a fight is to engage in it not disengage because you feel the judges already have you up on points.

And I believe this kind of system would offer that punishment.

I believe we should also re-assess how we would interpret stats for fighters for comparison/ranking purposes given that we'll probably have far more draws in the type of system I mentioned.

My solution would be the following:

For example;

Fighter X

10 wins, 20 draws, 5 losses

Fighter Y

20 wins, 0 draws, 5 losses

I believe in this case, both records are equivalent if we count a draw as half of a win.

So Fighter X would be equal to Fighter Y in ranking in this case

We could also NOT count draws but I think that would be unfair.

Rambo John J

Eats things that would make a Billy Goat Puke
First 100
Jan 17, 2015

so true

tookien

Feb 13, 2020
The answer to this is already provided by JonJonesBeard.

tookien

Feb 13, 2020
1) Post scorecards after every round. That would get some fighters to work harder.

2) Use ex-fighters as judges and not idiots that don't know what they are watching.
I disagree with this.

I don't think adding complexity to an already complex problem is a solution.

Mad Dog

First 100
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
I disagree with this.

I don't think adding complexity to an already complex problem is a solution.
1 would bring accountability to judges because everyone would see what they are doing while they are doing it. It would also alert fighters that need to work harder.

2 would use ex-fighters because they actually know what's going on in the cage. There are too many judges being used that are clueless.