MMA-your pros, your cons

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

D241

Banned
Jan 14, 2015
What are your gripes(cons) about mma today?

What do you love(pros) about mma today?

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
Morpheus1976;n22380 said:
more cons than pro's

This unfortunately. I still watch but find myself changing the channel quite often.

Pros are that its still fighting (somewhat) and i like to watch fighting, but the more shows Glory puts on that is where i will be headed.

M

Morpheushasleftthebuilding

Pitbull3744;n22382 said:
This unfortunately. I still watch but find myself changing the channel quite often.

Pros are that its still fighting (somewhat) and i like to watch fighting, but the more shows Glory puts on that is where i will be headed.
i hope it will change when the injury and peds bug is over

teamquestnorth

Lindland never cheated
Jan 27, 2015
Pros...

1)Still my favorite form of entertainment.
2) Alot more free mma on tv than the old days
3) Vitors getting a title shot soon hopefully

Cons...

1) Point fighting
2) Guys who shouldn't even be on the roster being put on the main card and some times even Main eventing.

3) 99% of my favorite fighters have either retired or have been forced out.
4) The EOG forcing Ronda and Conor down our throats.

Pitbull9

Daddy
Jan 28, 2015
teamquestnorth;n22386 said:
Pros...

1)Still my favorite form of entertainment.
2) Alot more free mma on tv than the old days
3) Vitors getting a title shot soon hopefully

Cons...

1) Point fighting
2) Guys who shouldn't even be on the roster being put on the main card and some times even Main eventing.

3) 99% of my favorite fighters have either retired or have been forced out.
4) The EOG forcing Ronda and Conor down our throats.

Great post on the cons. Legit answer right there.

Mertvaya Ruka

Feb 14, 2015
I love to see the game evolve before our eyes. Almost every card has "oh shit!!" moments.

what I don't like is to often see "mediocre" kickboxing bouts. I want fighters to mix it up and show all aspects of the game.

I'm not a big fan of the TMZ like bullshit we see more and more in the sport.

Not a big fan of how Zuffa has handled its business in the last few years either.

Priziesthorse

TMMAC Addict
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
One of the major pros for me is just the kind of access and interaction you get with the fighters and other important people in MMA. Between social media, appearances, interviews, podcasts, forums, etc. It's not like any other sport really.

ChaosOverkill

Conor is ushering in the Chomochiq fashion era.
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
Pros:
-What the hell else in combat sports can I watch regularly?
-Good realistic, reasonably objective fans who can have a discussion without flying off the handle on opinion difference about "their guy"
-Non-delusional people involved who understand the internet and sports fans and maintain a thick enough skin and refuse to just cop out on Twitter.
-Style matchups that create oldschool intrigue.

Cons:
-WHAT THE HELL ELSE IN COMBAT SPORTS CAN I WATCH REGULARLY?
-Fanboys that throw stones and can't admit when their own resorts to what they complain about, or paint it differently
-The pay, the pay, the pay across the board.
-Shrek of Boston
-The broadcasting arrangements.
-Sparring level striking from ADCC winning grapplers.
-Bad Cornermen

Zeph

TMMAC Addict
Jan 22, 2015
Pros

Plenty of fights.
The quality at the top is ever increasing, leading to more exciting fights and strange new techniques.
Conor v Aldo in the summer.

Cons

MMA pay is at a level that it pushes top athletes away from the game, when it really doesn't have to be.
More fights can mean that some cards are pretty weak. I think this will be fixed once the pay issue is fixed as more high quality athletes will be attracted to it.
Poor production from the top organization has reduced the spectacle feeling from all but a few events.
No freakshow fights. I want to see Cain fight the Mountain from game of thrones, just because.

SNIDELY WHIPLASH

DOOGOODER!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2015
Pros:
Best sport on the planet.
The participants are regular people, not millionaires.
Pretty much everybody likes a fight, even if you hate the sport you'll be interested in a specific type of match. For instance, every time a big women's fight comes on the bar is jam-packed with women.

Cons:
The fans absolutely suck. The whiniest, shittiest fans on the planet. They literally hate the fighters, promoters, reporters and anybody else that is involved in the sport. If you don't share their opinion watch the shit fly. Right now on other boards (I haven't even looked) it's a shitfest of insulting Anderson, Lombard, Dana and anybody else that they can figure out how to rope in.

Seriously. To me the only real con right now are the shit fans. We suck donkey dick, that's why I'm hoping this place pans out. If it doesn't I'll be on my way soon.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Pros -Only sport that's held my attention for 20 years+ -Love to see how different approaches to the game come and go -Keeps me motivated to stay active -The moments that make me jump out of my seat - I can rewatch certain matches over and over and get more interested each time Cons -Treatment of fighters from Orgs and fans -Quantity over quality -I feel like the golden era of PRIDE will never be attainable again -The business side has clearly passed the sporting aspect making for all sorts of shit like point fighting, turning down fights, less risks taken during a fight, lay and pray, wall and stall, signing of 0-0 guys and so on -Forcing new "stars" on the fans. I find myself rooting against RR, Brock and Conor simply to spite the UFC -Being a promoter shouldn't mean you have a pass to lie 24/7 and not be held accountable -Been almost 10 years since I had or went to a PPV party due to all sorts of reasons stated in this thread.

MMAHAWK

Real Gs come from California.America Muthafucker
Feb 5, 2015
Pros:
Great athletes
Many events
Fan friendly

Cons:

Fighters hiding behind weight classes
Fear of losing( the fight and their job) leading to point fighting
Ramp
Fighters don't fight often enough
Lack of new stars due to lack of fights
To many rules

Wild

Zi Nazi
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
Pro's:
- The fighters. Period. They will always be the show. They will always be what draws new fans to the sport, and keeps the old fans coming back. They bust their asses...dieting, working out 2-3 times a day. being away from the families, cutting weight. And put their bodies and pride on the line, in front of thousands of people. And most aren't doing it for fame. They're doing it because they enjoy the competition and want fans to appreciate them.
- Two organizations (OneFC and Bellator) that are growing, slowly creating competition, and giving fighters and fans options.
- The people in this sport. From the fighters, to the TRUE fans. So many are willing to help someone if they're in need.

Con's:
- BLAF and Tiny Swole. Although the way they acquired the UFC is shady and borderline criminal...at one time, I do believe they both cared about the fighters and growing the SPORT. And I think that passion and genuine care of MMA as a whole was in them for years, but unfortunately they lost their way once the UFC exploded after the TUF1 Finale. They slowly went from caring about the fighters and the sport, to only caring about Zuffa's bottom line. Ego, greed, power? I don't know...probably a little bit of all of the above, but I think they no longer care about the SPORT OF MMA. They care about the UFC, and if every other org were to go bankrupt tomorrow...and thousands of fighters and employees within those organizations were to become unemployed...so be it. Less competition, more eyes on their product, more money in their pockets.
- Fighter Pay
- PED's
- The scoring system
- The judging
- The corruptness and incompetence of Athletic Commissions
- UFC fanboys that refuse to give any other organization, or any fighter fighting in another organization, any credit whatsoever. There's one site I know of that is filled w/ these people.

Shy Guy

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right...
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
RyannVonDoom;22705 said:
Pros: tumbleweed.gif
Cons:
Zuffa
More athletes than actual fighters
Dana White
Lorenzo
Joe Silva
I do agree that there seems to be an influx of athletes trying to win as if it's a game instead of fighters trying to finish and win impressively.

Zuffa and the AC's are a mess right now. Aside from the obvious problems at Zuffa, the product itself is becoming poor. The production is very stale and formulaic. If you look at a PPV from 5-6 years ago and look at a PPV in 2015, the production is damn near identical. They haven't done anything to maintain a contemporary product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk