General Mom mistakes daughter for intruder and shoots her

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Too swole to control

I’ll fight anyone on here except Sex Chicken
Oct 28, 2015
Hard to blame the mom. It was dark and someone came into her bedroom. I have a gun at my nightstand, but I also have a flashlight.
Yes I can imagine if my GF was sleeping alone and someone sneaked nto the house she would probably lite them up. Or shoot 9 times and miss.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah. I am pro second amendment and all about personal freedom & accountability, but regular mental health screenings seems like a non-intrusive middle ground in this debate
The issue with mental health screenings is that it's a very slippery slope to head down. If people are honest with themselves virtually everyone suffers from some degree of mental illness at some point in their lives.

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
The issue with mental health screenings is that it's a very slippery slope to head down. If people are honest with themselves virtually everyone suffers from some degree of mental illness at some point in their lives.
Yeah I totally agree. There are a lot of gray areas. The libertarian in me doesn’t want any screenings, but the pragmatist in me thinks there are enough black and white scenarios that at least those could be captured (ex. diagnosis of schizophrenia, institutionalization, etc.) and used areas of compromise between the two sides. There is no perfect solution, but there should be at least some areas that both would agree are reasonable on the whole (or at least accepting as an alternative to having no guns or no screenings).

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
Yeah I totally agree. There are a lot of gray areas. The libertarian in me doesn’t want any screenings, but the pragmatist in me thinks there are enough black and white scenarios that at least those could be captured (ex. diagnosis of schizophrenia, institutionalization, etc.) and used areas of compromise between the two sides. There is no perfect solution, but there should be at least some areas that both would agree are reasonable on the whole (or at least accepting as an alternative to having no guns or no screenings).
I actually agree with you, but it draws the logical conclusion that if someone with schizophrenia can't be trusted with a firearm should they really be free to roam the streets at all?

sparkuri

Pulse On The Finger Of The Community
First 100
Jan 16, 2015
I actually agree with you, but it draws the logical conclusion that if someone with schizophrenia can't be trusted with a firearm should they really be free to roam the streets at all?
That's a not-so-thin line of authoritarianism.

Splinty

Shake 'em off
Admin
Dec 31, 2014
I've seen you say this before. But I don't think that conclusion is logical at all. This seems to ignore the rapid and impulsive nature of firearm use and the ability to target at distance while imparting a large amount of lethality in a short period of time. Compared to not having that tool.

Schizophrenics and multiple other people exist in transient states of stability in which they should not have access to firearms sometimes and other times probably could manage.

You'll argue the other ways they can harm people, but very few encompass all the things that include the portability, lethality, ability to project violence at distance. Other things that can match a firearm include more complex schemes that increasingly become difficult for a psychotic patient to put together, especially without causing undue attention to prevent it while in process of developing. This stands in stark comparison to a gun standing by with a trigger pull.

The closest argument would be the ability to do something like a speeding vehicle, but even that finds physical limitation in portability to getting a vehicle into a crowded space for maximal carnage.

Complex bomb making and planting, etc would require someone with a baseline nefarious plot and with that, correct, said person should not have access to guns. But that's not schizophrenics who simply battle with transient delusions and hallucinations.

And none of this touches suicide, which has reasonably good data for completion with presence of firearms above the baseline regardless.

yuki2054

graded martial artist
Nov 8, 2016
I've seen you say this before. But I don't think that conclusion is logical at all. This seems to ignore the rapid and impulsive nature of firearm use and the ability to target at distance while imparting a large amount of lethality in a short period of time. Compared to not having that tool.

Schizophrenics and multiple other people exist in transient states of stability in which they should not have access to firearms sometimes and other times probably could manage.

You'll argue the other ways they can harm people, but very few encompass all the things that include the portability, lethality, ability to project violence at distance. Other things that can match a firearm include more complex schemes that increasingly become difficult for a psychotic patient to put together, especially without causing undue attention to prevent it while in process of developing. This stands in stark comparison to a gun standing by with a trigger pull.

The closest argument would be the ability to do something like a speeding vehicle, but even that finds physical limitation in portability to getting a vehicle into a crowded space for maximal carnage.

Complex bomb making and planting, etc would require someone with a baseline nefarious plot and with that, correct, said person should not have access to guns. But that's not schizophrenics who simply battle with transient delusions and hallucinations.

And none of this touches suicide, which has reasonably good data for completion with presence of firearms above the baseline regardless.
Bless you Splitoni!

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Yeah. I am pro second amendment and all about personal freedom & accountability, but regular mental health screenings seems like a non-intrusive middle ground in this debate
I concur and I am a guy who will shoot a gun from a helicopter in the near future.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015

How often do schizophrenics perform mass shootings? I was under the impression it was fairly infrequently if at all.

Statistics dictate that access to firearms doesn't impact suicide rate, it only impacts suicide rate with firearm.

BeardOfKnowledge

Jul 22, 2015
You said that there was a question whether Schizophrenics should be allowed to roam the streets at all. And I disagreed with it. Okay??
That's not what I said.

I questioned whether or not schizophrenics who are public safety risks should be allowed to roam the streets.