'Money Fight’ PPV Buys Likely Less Than Dana White’s Claim, But Still a ‘Massive Success’

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

TheEmperorRises

Right click hospital, left click cemetery
Dec 4, 2015

The “Money Fight” could still be a record breaker in terms of pay-per-view buys, but it will likely fall far below UFC President Dana White’s recent projection.

Showtime Executive Vice President Stephen Espinoza told the Los Angeles Times that the boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor “is tracking in the mid-to-high 4 million pay-per-view buys.” Espinoza added that “it’s too early to declare a hard number” for the Aug. 26 contest at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.

Earlier this week, video footage captured during Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender Series caught the UFC boss declaring that the event did 6.5 million pay-per-view buys. That would far exceed the record of 4.6 million set by the bout between Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao in May 2015. Unless White was accounting for overseas sales as well, it doesn’t appear that Mayweather-McGregor will reach that figure.

"If we don't reach the record, we're going to be very, very close." Espinoza said.

Full story here:
‘Money Fight’ PPV Buys Likely Less Than Dana White’s Claim, But Still a ‘Massive Success’

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
We knew that Dana would lie, he has never been honest except that time he rubbed Conor's knee by the pool

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
According to Espinoza, on today's MMA Hour, Dana was only off by about 2 million. Still hasn't passed Mayweather vs Pacquiao.

dacofty

Yea..Ok..Whatever
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
According to Espinoza, on today's MMA Hour, Dana was only off by about 2 million. Still hasn't passed Mayweather vs Pacquiao.
We all pretty much knew it wouldnt pass that mark, when dana states something you can rest assured he is lying and usually wrong

Sheepdog

Protecting America from excessive stool loitering
Dec 1, 2015
An egg cannot change it's spots.

But I would be interested in seeing how UK, Ireland and Australia PPV numbers stacked up against May-Pac - my gut feeling is that they pushed the total international PPV buys above that mark.

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
An egg cannot change it's spots.

But I would be interested in seeing how UK, Ireland and Australia PPV numbers stacked up against May-Pac - my gut feeling is that they pushed the total international PPV buys above that mark.
Klitschko vs Joshua did better numbers than Mayweather vs Pacquiao in the UK, according to Espinoza. They're hoping Mayweather vs McGrgeor will pass Klitschko vs Joshua, but the final numbers aren't in.

lueVelvet

WHERT DA FERCK?
Aug 29, 2015
Espinosa also said the mid 4 number is North America only. They're also looking at 1.5ish for the UK which would bring the total up to 6million. I can see how Dana came up with the number, it's another story quantifying it all. :p

Silverball

Feb 24, 2015
Espinosa also said the mid 4 number is North America only. They're also looking at 1.5ish for the UK which would bring the total up to 6million. I can see how Dana came up with the number, it's another story quantifying it all. :p
He said they were currently in the mid-fours, but expected the number to increase by 10-15% (best case scenario), which could take them past Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Espinoza wasn't even sure they broke the gate record, yet. At the end of the day, Mayweather vs McGregor was huge, but the jury's still out on how big it actually was.