Monkey Shoulder - Scotch

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Tried a new one last night. Bought a bottle of Tomatin 12 yr. Bourbon and Sherry Cask. I had honestly never heard of this Scotch before.

It caught my eye because it was a Single Malt priced under $30 (I think I paid $27), which is practically unheard of anymore.

It's quite good. Sweet. Smooth. It's also very light on the peat if that's not your thing. Thumbs up!

I don't think I've ever seen that one, but I admittedly I don't spend much time in the scotch isle. I enjoyed your last recommendation, so I'll give this one a whirl. I haven't developed the palate yet for heavy peat, so this one sounds like a good choice for me!

Cheers, thanks for rec Alco!

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
On a related note I wanted to get my brother in law something for his birthday a few months ago and happened to get him a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. I wasn't even aware of this thread, but you're right, it's a very nice scotch. Goes for 50-60 bucks a bottle around these parts though.

I recently acquired some of this:

Would recommend.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
On a related note I wanted to get my brother in law something for his birthday a few months ago and happened to get him a bottle of Monkey Shoulder. I wasn't even aware of this thread, but you're right, it's a very nice scotch. Goes for 50-60 bucks a bottle around these parts though.

I recently acquired some of this:

Would recommend.
I've seen that bottle before, but never tried it. Now I am inclined.

BeardOfKnowledge

The Most Consistent Motherfucker You Know
Jul 22, 2015
I've seen that bottle before, but never tried it. Now I am inclined.
I'm a sucker for label art, and if I'm ever at the liquor store and feeling adventurous I just pick something with what looks like a fun label. More often than not the gamble pays off.

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
Monkey shoulder isn't bad at all for the price its very good.

I have a bottle of Glenmorangie to get into this weekend, lovely clean taste, kind of fruity almost.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Monkey shoulder isn't bad at all for the price its very good.

I have a bottle of Glenmorangie to get into this weekend, lovely clean taste, kind of fruity almost.
I haven't bought it in probably 10 years but I used to really like the one with the burgundy label.

silentsinger

Momofuku
Jun 23, 2015
Some of the grocery stores here are adding craft beer sampling. It's basically a bar for dudes to sit at while their wives shop.

Hint : Buy KR stock. Haha
Most of the Whole Foods here have craft beer bars, all local brews. It's awesome.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Once in a while for me. Usually holiday time. Too ridiculous. We have a Macallen bar now in North County
so you can buy a shot for a hundy or two without buying the horse. I do love the sherry cask yumness.
Macallans Public House
I don't even know how much a bottle of the 30 is.....but I would guess a few grand at least?

I just looked at their whiskey list and flights, I could do some damage at that place!

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
I don't even know how much a bottle of the 30 is.....but I would guess a few grand at least?

I just looked at their whiskey list and flights, I could do some damage at that place!
Come on down , we will fuck that place into a living death. :)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Come on down , we will fuck that place into a living death. :)
Haha, sounds good my man. Whenever I make my way out to Cali again, I'd be more than pleased to drink some whiskey with you.

Are weed bars a thing where y'all have recreational legal? Or is it just dispensaries?

Hong Kong Phooey

Spreading The Coronavirus one Corona at a Time
Feb 12, 2015
Haha, sounds good my man. Whenever I make my way out to Cali again, I'd be more than pleased to drink some whiskey with you.

Are weed bars a thing where y'all have recreational legal? Or is it just dispensaries?
Both. Count on the fact i got you covered like home insurance ;)

BenAskrensStrikingcoach

Formerly formulating formally
Jan 30, 2015
BenAskrensStrikingcoach @Suicidalforlife

don’t know which style of whiskey is your preference, but I also have this thread:

Lifestyle - Bourbon
I've been drinking a fair bit of scotch lately man, Glenmorangie , Glenfiddich .

I love redbreast as well, in the pub its a green spot(Middleton) or if I'm swamping them, Jameson, which is piss I know.

I will definitely check that thread out, I don't really know my bourbon.