Cinema More British TV stars apologise for blackface

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

SuperPig

Enjoy yourselves
Aug 7, 2015
Those are all interesting... Kimmel and Fallon were both doing impressions of specific black guys. I don't remember the Karl Malone skit but would it even make sense to do the impressions in costume but not the makeup? You know would Fallon was acting like Rock because he does a pretty good job with it but being white yet with the facial hair and look would be really weird.

Silverman was straight up mocking blackface and the absurdity of it by playing a dip shit that thinks it's ok.

Stern did his skit with Sherman Hemsley and Robin which was a parody of Ted Danson wearing blackface when roasting his wife/girlfriend, Whoopi Goldberg, while wearing it.

Out of context they're all pretty crappy but if you're mocking dipshits for being dipshits is it that bad? Shit changes.

I don't remember Kimmel or Fallon using their color as a way to make fun of Rock or Malone. They didn't give them over the top features that could be negative.

Bad taste, sure. Stern has even said that he was nuts and would do anything to make fun of people and get attention 30 years ago and that he owns it, that there's probably a ton more out there that's even more outrageous, but that he wouldn't do it today because he knows it's wrong now.

Not my place to be the judge of things but I think that's what we want, right? Own mistakes. Admit that they're mistakes in retrospect and that you've grown and would choose differently today.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
Those are all interesting... Kimmel and Fallon were both doing impressions of specific black guys. I don't remember the Karl Malone skit but would it even make sense to do the impressions in costume but not the makeup? You know would Fallon was acting like Rock because he does a pretty good job with it but being white yet with the facial hair and look would be really weird.

Silverman was straight up mocking blackface and the absurdity of it by playing a dip shit that thinks it's ok.

Stern did his skit with Sherman Hemsley and Robin which was a parody of Ted Danson wearing blackface when roasting his wife/girlfriend, Whoopi Goldberg, while wearing it.

Out of context they're all pretty crappy but if you're mocking dipshits for being dipshits is it that bad? Shit changes.

I don't remember Kimmel or Fallon using their color as a way to make fun of Rock or Malone. They didn't give them over the top features that could be negative.

Bad taste, sure. Stern has even said that he was nuts and would do anything to make fun of people and get attention 30 years ago and that he owns it, that there's probably a ton more out there that's even more outrageous, but that he wouldn't do it today because he knows it's wrong now.

Not my place to be the judge of things but I think that's what we want, right? Own mistakes. Admit that they're mistakes in retrospect and that you've grown and would choose differently today.
the most hilarious part of the karl malone skit was that jimmy did his own version of Malone's retarded voice. man show era jimmy was actually funny.

NotBanjaxo

Formerly someone other than Banjaxo
Nov 16, 2019
The latest apology comes from Zoe Saldana, star of the Star Trek and Guardians of the Galaxy films. As she is of Dominican, Haitian and Peurto Rican descent, she was apparently the wrong kind of black to play the part of musician /civil rights activist Nina Simone ten years ago. She wore skin-darkening make-up for the role.

Jesus X

4 drink minimum.
Sep 7, 2015
The latest apology comes from Zoe Saldana, star of the Star Trek and Guardians of the Galaxy films. As she is of Dominican, Haitian and Peurto Rican descent, she was apparently the wrong kind of black to play the part of musician /civil rights activist Nina Simone ten years ago. She wore skin-darkening make-up for the role.

BLM:zoe your lack of blackness is offensive.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019
BLM:zoe your lack of blackness is offensive.
You can tell the apology is sincere, as she cried whilst delivering it. That's not her just acting, oh deary me no.

Oh wait, from the article:

"Back in 2016 Saldana, whose parents are from Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic, spoke about how unhappy she was about the backlash to her casting as Simone, saying that there is "no one way to be Black".

"I'm Black the way I know how to be. You have no idea who I am. I am Black. I'm raising Black men," she said. "Don't you ever think you can look at me and address me with such disdain."

I guess something must have happened over the last 4 years that caused her to completely change her view about it.

NotBanjaxo

Nov 16, 2019

Dick Niaz

Yearning for TMMAC days gone by
Jan 14, 2018
Blackface, Whiteface, and cultural appropriation are all so ridiculously stupid examples of things to be outraged about.

Why can’t we judge things based on their intent? If it is an actor/comedian doing it to poke fun at a stereotype or play a role, why is that a problem? If it is someone being malicious or overtly racist that is a problem which needs to be called out and addressed, but if it all in fun with no ill will intended, then why do we constantly look for reasons to be a victim?

So annoying and it sets us back as a society.