More Than 1,000 People Shot in Chicago So Far This Year

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

jason73

Yuri Bezmenov was right
First 100
Jan 15, 2015
The number of people shot in Chicago so far this year has exceeded 1,000, according to data from the Chicago Tribune. The total stood at 1,008 as of Wednesday, which included a 4-year-old boy with a gunshot wound to the foot. The child had been walking down a block with his mom on the city's West Side when an argument erupted in the street. Gunfire followed. The boy is expected to survive.

Chicago has struggled with gun violence, but 2016's statistics scarily outpace the number of shootings in recent years. In 2015, the city didn't see this many gun victims until early June — a year marked by nearly 3,000 total shootings in Chicago. The city didn't reach 1,000 shootings until June in 2014 and 2013 either.According to the Chicago Police Department's CompStat data through April 17, shootings are up 67 percent compared to this time last year. They are up 133 percent compared to this time in 2014.

Murders are also on the rise. A total of 172 people have been killed in Chicago so far in 2016, an increase of about 64 percent compared to this time last year. (Chicago saw 488 homicides in 2015.) April has averaged a murder a day.

These distressing statistics come just as the Chicago Police Department is grappling with a damning report on the force's history of systematic racism. The independent task force, convened by embattled mayor Rahm Emanuel after the release of a 2014 video of the police shooting of 17-year-old Laquan McDonald, recommended a department overhaul to repair trust with minority communities and break the "code of silence" that led cops to turn a blind eye to abuses. Emanuel has signaled that he will instruct the department to start implementing some reforms — about 25 of the task force's 76 recommendations, including meetings with community leaders, "de-escalation training" to curb excessive force, and expanding the use of body cameras, reports the Tribune.

But Emanuel will not go ahead with some of the more substantial reform recommendations, such as dismantling the Independent Police Review Authority, the board that evaluates police-involved shootings and has a track record of rarely finding fault with officers.

The Justice Department initiated its own federal investigation into misconduct within the Chicago PD this December, a probe that will likely take close to a year.

Woko

Top dog isn't my desire, it's just my design.
Apr 19, 2016
There are many problems with any society in the world, but not many with such obviously damning statistics. The issue will never be resolved unless constitutional changes are made. Let's take, for example, the average dumb-ass racist. Aside from the backward mindset, what makes this fuckwit a worse problem? He has a voice, but there is freedom of speech. He has kids, but they will likely be dragged up with the same ideology and you cannot affect that. He has a gun, but he has a license. Therein lies the biggest problem. Guns! Whilst Americans want the freedoms associated with the beautiful USA, one freedom should stand above all others - the basic human right to feel safe and secure. The very second a maniac handles a firearm, they morally breach this human right of every other American citizen. Whilst I respect the US for everything it has achieved, these pieces of information are all too frequent. The bottom line is - something has to give. I know this will be met by a mixture of agreement, insult and rage, but the fact remains that changes are needed. There is easily a similar ratio of dumb-asses and maniacs in the UK and we are sometimes subject to gun crime, but nowhere near the levels seen in the US. The simple reason for that is tighter controls on firearms licensing. The availability simply isn't there.

HEATH VON DOOM

Remember the 5th of November
Oct 21, 2015
There are many problems with any society in the world, but not many with such obviously damning statistics. The issue will never be resolved unless constitutional changes are made. Let's take, for example, the average dumb-ass racist. Aside from the backward mindset, what makes this fuckwit a worse problem? He has a voice, but there is freedom of speech. He has kids, but they will likely be dragged up with the same ideology and you cannot affect that. He has a gun, but he has a license. Therein lies the biggest problem. Guns! Whilst Americans want the freedoms associated with the beautiful USA, one freedom should stand above all others - the basic human right to feel safe and secure. The very second a maniac handles a firearm, they morally breach this human right of every other American citizen. Whilst I respect the US for everything it has achieved, these pieces of information are all too frequent. The bottom line is - something has to give. I know this will be met by a mixture of agreement, insult and rage, but the fact remains that changes are needed. There is easily a similar ratio of dumb-asses and maniacs in the UK and we are sometimes subject to gun crime, but nowhere near the levels seen in the US. The simple reason for that is tighter controls on firearms licensing. The availability simply isn't there.
Its not really a licensing problem simply because most of these crimes take place with illegal firearms. Illinois has some of the most restrictive gun and ammo laws in the country yet Chicago and East St Louis always have shockingly high numbers of gun violence. Why is that? How many of these gun crimes are committed by felons that are already prohibited to posses a firearm in any capacity.

These crimes arent being committed by your average gun toting racist rednecks they are actually committed by the same people that tend to vote for the liberal. You can pass all the laws you want but getting people to care is a whole different story.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I think the dramatic rise in gun violence is because unless they absolutely have to, cops aren't getting involved. They're doing less police work. They are no longer investigating suspicious behavior. They are turning a blind eye to shit that isn't immediately causing a danger to society (taxpayers). They don't want it to turn into some scuffle that's going to be videotaped and scrutinized. So they don't get involved. They stay in their cars. They don't do random passes in bad neighborhoods.

The guns have always been there. So have the criminals. What's changed is much of the public's perception regarding their practices - which I admit are sometimes flawed.

But what you are seeing with the murder rates in many cities across the country is an unintended consequence of police bashing.

IMO.

Last edited:

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
There is easily a similar ratio of dumb-asses and maniacs in the UK and we are sometimes subject to gun crime, but nowhere near the levels seen in the US. The simple reason for that is tighter controls on firearms licensing. The availability simply isn't there.
I don't completely disagree, but the damage has been done. The bad guys have guns, so the good guys feel like they need them as well. There's just too many guns in the US to get rid of them all.

I'd be fine with a buy back program as an effort to get guns off the streets. Cash for guns - then the guns are melted down. But the government doesn't even do that to the guns they confiscate. They sell those back to the public at police auctions.

Hauler

Feb 3, 2016
I've been there and I'm still more scared of Detroit

I've been to Chicago. Had a blast. Although I'm guessing these shooting aren't typically taking place near the establishments I was visiting. Except for the White Sox game - that was sketchy. Haha.

Never been to Detroit. Except for the airport Nothing remarkable happened in the airport. The beer was cold - so that's a plus.

M

member 1013

I've been to Chicago. Had a blast. Although I'm guessing these shooting aren't typically taking place near the establishments I was visiting. Except for the White Sox game - that was sketchy. Haha.

Never been to Detroit. Except for the airport Nothing remarkable happened in the airport. The beer was cold - so that's a plus.
Everytime I go to Detroit I get AIDS, or at least syphillis.

Woko

Apr 19, 2016
Whilst I do understand and agree with a lot of the posts on this thread, I do believe that nothing at all will ever change without constitutional progress.

Alco Hauler stated that confiscated guns are recycled into society at police auctions - Why? These firearms are removed from the possession of some knobhead and potentially sold to another knobhead who simply may not have yet committed a crime. The new owner could secretly be a psychotic monster who has the intention of committing something truly heinous. How would anyone know what kind of fruitloop is buying this deadly weapon?

Another problem is the fear experienced by the police of venturing into the more troublesome neighbourhoods. A lot of this is down to a paranoid and reactionary culture within certain areas. A white cop arrests someone who isn't white, frequently they would be considered by some as racist. If a white cop were to shoot at a black guy who fired first, there could potentially be riots etc. These examples beg one question. What the fuck do people want? I do believe there are is a certain amount of racism within the police force, and I do believe that a lot of problems can and will be swept under the carpet, but surely the cops inadvertently represent a fair degree of a similar culture within the mainstream of American society.

Whilst Obama is too busy wading into political issues of other countries (something that does truly give me the rage), among his potential successors is a completely elitist asshole called Donald Trump. Not only does this odious creature look like a lightly-toasted and floured scrotum, he represents everything that is wrong with American society. I believe that potentially he'd secretly love to see the return of 'The good ol' days'. Rednecks in white clobber, stringing up all those who aint white. His views on women and homosexual people should make it perfectly clear that this ball-sack is among a great many who feel the need to have someone to look down upon. Hilary Clinton is clearly the best of a bad bunch, but she still doesn't represent what the USA really needs. What is needed is a political behemoth who truly has the balls to dictate a period of much-needed constitutional change during his/her tenure. However, unfortunately, a person with this political mindset would never find enough support during the early stages of their career and would subsequently fail very quickly. George W became president partly due to his views that sat nicely within the political establishment, but also partly because of daddy.

Please don't take this as a lecture, I'm just at a loss as to how progress can ever be made in the US when these problems are continually prevalent. There are absolutely a shit-load of problems within UK society and I'd happily dispense my opinions on them too.

DoTheKick

Dec 31, 2015
If that 4 year old had of been carrying a piece this wouldnt have happened.

We need more guns!

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
All these people crying for more gun control are ignorant or Ill informed. Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, so does a place like New York. If gun control works, why are gun free zones the first choice target for all these criminals? I know guns are scary to a lot of people, but these dumb ass laws won't change shit.

Over 90% of mass shooting occur in gun free zones.

Washington, D.C. Became a gun free zone like 35 years ago. The result? Violent crime shot up to staggering numbers, all the while national levels gradually dropped.

There was a mini documentary that pointed out how hundreds of gun control laws were studied and they couldn't find a single instance where violent crime actually decreased.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=682JLrsUmEM

Woko

Apr 19, 2016
All these people crying for more gun control are ignorant or Ill informed. Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, so does a place like New York. If gun control works, why are gun free zones the first choice target for all these criminals? I know guns are scary to a lot of people, but these dumb ass laws won't change shit.

Over 90% of mass shooting occur in gun free zones.

Washington, D.C. Became a gun free zone like 35 years ago. The result? Violent crime shot up to staggering numbers, all the while national levels gradually dropped.

There was a mini documentary that pointed out how hundreds of gun control laws were studied and they couldn't find a single instance where violent crime actually decreased.

I'm neither ignorant nor ill informed, but I do believe you've missed the point entirely. From your post, the Sherlock inside me can deduce that these gun-toting scumbags have acquired their weapons from outside the gun free zone. Despite them carrying guns they are cowards as they don't want to be shot themselves.

If the US were to tighten up the firearms laws nationally and stop people like Billy-Bob Stringemup from shooting someone because of their excessive pigment, there would absolutely be less gun crime. That is just a simple fact. It definitely would not be the laws that are dumb ass.

If you cannot see the true purpose of the gun free zone experiments then please remove your blinkers. It is so obvious to people who can read between the lines. These zones were introduced to offer a Trojan Horse to the gun control campaigners with the view of shutting them up, with the knowledge that gun crime will clearly increase as a result. What does it prove? It simply proves how absurdly arrogant the US establishment is towards its own people.

Ethics and morals. Do you believe Obama truly gives a stool about this? Of course he doesn't. He's just happy that he can sit anywhere on a bus. He was asked questions from a transgendered woman during his latest lectures in the UK. He was rubbing on the ol' Obama funk, giving it the big one about her right to have a voice and her right to be treated equal to anyone else. Yet, there are states in America that retain such archaic and damaging laws that the local transgendered people are made to feel as though they mean nothing at all. The hypocrisy of Uncle Barack is pathetic.

Wholesale changes are required for these types of figures to be affected, but these changes just will not be made by Obama or any other leader who only wants to bathe in his/her own profile by witnessing stupid nations like mine jumping to their feet at the opinions of the leader of 'The Free World' Free - unless you are transgendered, which would render you as nothing more than a statistic.

Woko

Apr 19, 2016
Where did my reply go? I've just written a lengthy piece and it's just..........vanished. Bollards!

Woko

Apr 19, 2016
Anyway, the long and the short was that I am neither ignorant nor ill informed. Whereas you have clearly missed the point. Firearms are brought into these gun free zones from outside and used by butternuts who don't want to be shot themselves. The gun free zones represent a Trojan Horse given to the gun control campaigners with the view to shutting them up. Tighter gun control - NATIONALLY - will absolutely reduce gun crime figures. That is just a very simple fact.

Clappin'Daddys

Posting Machine
Sep 9, 2015
Anyway, the long and the short was that I am neither ignorant nor ill informed. Whereas you have clearly missed the point. Firearms are brought into these gun free zones from outside and used by butternuts who don't want to be shot themselves. The gun free zones represent a Trojan Horse given to the gun control campaigners with the view to shutting them up. Tighter gun control - NATIONALLY - will absolutely reduce gun crime figures. That is just a very simple fact.
One thing I do agree with is that if you make something illegal, it'll be brought in from an outside source. If you make guns illegal in a state, often time, they will be brought in from out of state. But this is where your logic falls off. If u make something illegal in an entire country. It'll be imported from out of the country. Take a look at Mexico down south. They simply do not permit guns, but you see violent cartel drug lords with an armory of weapons ranging from ak 47 to rocket launchers. How can méxico have so much guns? Guns are illegal in Mexico.

Look at alcohol during the American prohibition. It was made illegal, yet alcohol consumption was just as rampant. Not only that, organized crime increased a great deal. This is where we got of the legendary criminals.

Look at America and the war on drugs. They are made illegal, then why is there meth, coke, and heroine in the United States? Why was pot smoking so common place in America, up about 2 years ago, if it was illegal ?

mysticmac

First 1025
Oct 18, 2015
Alco Hauler stated that confiscated guns are recycled into society at police auctions - Why? These firearms are removed from the possession of some knobhead and potentially sold to another knobhead who simply may not have yet committed a crime. The new owner could secretly be a psychotic monster who has the intention of committing something truly heinous. How would anyone know what kind of fruitloop is buying this deadly weapon?
They run background checks. We don't assume someone who has a clean background is a "fruitloop" as you put it. If someone seems normal, has a clean background, and pays for the gun, they are allowed to have it.

You may want to think of a gun as a "deadly weapon", but realize that does not mean it will be used to kill another person in malice. It can be used in self defense, for hunting, for fun, or not used at all which is what most gun owners in America do with their guns.

Woko

Apr 19, 2016
One thing I do agree with is that if you make something illegal, it'll be brought in from an outside source. If you make guns illegal in a state, often time, they will be brought in from out of state. But this is where your logic falls off. If u make something illegal in an entire country. It'll be imported from out of the country. Take a look at Mexico down south. They simply do not permit guns, but you see violent cartel drug lords with an armory of weapons ranging from ak 47 to rocket launchers. How can méxico have so much guns? Guns are illegal in Mexico.

Look at alcohol during the American prohibition. It was made illegal, yet alcohol consumption was just as rampant. Not only that, organized crime increased a great deal. This is where we got of the legendary criminals.

Look at America and the war on drugs. They are made illegal, then why is there meth, coke, and heroine in the United States? Why was pot smoking so common place in America, up about 2 years ago, if it was illegal ?
C'mon pal. Seriously?

If my logic falls off, then why is the UK not riddled with illegal weapons? Fact is, it isn't. I could happily walk around any town in the UK, kicking random bods in the balls or halls, safe in the knowledge that it'd be highly unlikely I'd even be stabbed. I wouldn't ordinarily participate in that kind of silly, although I would happily deliver a series of ball busters to some those obnoxious football/soccer players.

Mexico is simply riddled with corruption right at the top table of their society and most, if not all, of these parasites are mutually involved with the cartels. Poverty is rife in Mexico, and has been for many years, so people are more inclined to turn to crime. I obviously can't provide factual figures, but I would imagine that the national and international drug trade involving Mexican cartels at least comes close to matching the nation's industry in terms of finance.

Prohibition America did indeed see a significant rise in organised crime, initially powered financially by the production of alcoholic beverages. Also, guns were still legal during the prohibition. Would Al Capone have been able to strike as much fear in people if neither he or any of his associates were brandishing guns? The simple answer is no. His rise coincided with the rise of racketeering and drugs in the US. The prohibition had an adverse affect on American society that is still felt today. What powered this affect through fear was guns.

As for America's war on drugs, it's very simple. $100,000 of Coke or Marijuana is easier to transport than $100,000 of firearms. Meth throughout the US is made in labs mainly in the US. Drugs are everywhere in the UK, but this is due to the lesser jail terms issued to the traffickers and the relative ease of bringing the stuff in. These absolutely apply to the US also.

The genuine reason for the absurd gun crime figures in the US is that the American establishment have effectively ignored ever dealing with this issue in a practical manner for far too many decades, and now find themselves between a rock and a hard place. Nobody of a sane mind is ever happy to read stories of mass shootings anywhere in the world but, when the localised society have a pride and patriotism based ignorance towards the root source of the problem, the relevant political powers don't always feel the need to deliver a solution. Control in America is called a permit and background checks. Wow! I rest my case. All I am stating is reason and fact. Simple, beautiful truths.

It wasn't my intention to deliver any lectures, but I am happy to do so if needed. Ill informed is something I definitely am not. Opinionated I absolutely am.
You can call me out if you want, but for me to respond you would need to provide some legit FACTS that could render my logic as failed.

Woko

Apr 19, 2016
They run background checks. We don't assume someone who has a clean background is a "fruitloop" as you put it. If someone seems normal, has a clean background, and pays for the gun, they are allowed to have it.

You may want to think of a gun as a "deadly weapon", but realize that does not mean it will be used to kill another person in malice. It can be used in self defense, for hunting, for fun, or not used at all which is what most gun owners in America do with their guns.
Terminology issues here. 'If someone seems normal' is absurd. How would Jeff at the desk know what things are running through the mind of the seemingly normal Ken?

A gun is a deadly weapon. although it isn't described as deadly in the dictionary. However, the gun was invented in China in the 13th century during a hugely sustained period of war. This device was invented and used like all other weapons in their possession with the view to killing the enemy. Therefore, from the intent of it's very origin, the gun is absolutely a deadly weapon.