Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Holy shit at the price of the high end ass kicker bikes. I want to just ride around on the trails around where I live, I don't want to ride up a mountain and jump off the fucking thing. Is $1000 too cheap for what I'm looking for? Is $2000 more like it? I don't want to spend too much at first if I don't like it as much as I think I will.
Oh man you can get a good bike for under $1000 if you look used. My Banshee I just posted I bought last year used for $900, I only bought it because some asshole stile my Norco Shore DH bike and I paid $700 for that one. Fuck buying new imo uess you are racing or have money to burn it's just not worth it. You do get what you pay for but do some research on exactly what type of riding you'll do and the bike best suited. Check out castanet.net if you don't already. It's the Okanagan news/classifieds and lots of good bikes usually. I'd even consider selling you mine if I find a good replacement, how tall are you?

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
Oh man you can get a good bike for under $1000 if you look used. My Banshee I just posted I bought last year used for $900, I only bought it because some asshole stile my Norco Shore DH bike and I paid $700 for that one. Fuck buying new imo uess you are racing or have money to burn it's just not worth it. You do get what you pay for but do some research on exactly what type of riding you'll do and the bike best suited. Check out castanet.net if you don't already. It's the Okanagan news/classifieds and lots of good bikes usually. I'd even consider selling you mine if I find a good replacement, how tall are you?
7'14

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015
I'm 6'0 even. Thanks for the info! There is a good used bike shop here so I will go there and see what they have. There is a huge bike community here and I have a buddy that can go with me to pick out something.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I'm 6'0 even. Thanks for the info! There is a good used bike shop here so I will go there and see what they have. There is a huge bike community here and I have a buddy that can go with me to pick out something.
FWIW
I'm 6' even as well, you'll most likely be looking at a large size frame - so that may be a good place to start with your search. There are some exceptions, but a large is usually the right size for me with most brands.

That's great if you have a good used bike shop. Almost none of the shops do it here. So a lot of the used bikes here are for sale privately (at inflated prices a lot of the time).

Are you looking for a hardtail with a front suspension fork, or a full suspension? That makes a big difference cost wise. If you're going for a used bike, I bet you could find a sweet hardtail easily within that $1000 limit. You'd get less bike for the same money with a full suspension.

I've always been a big fan of Rock Mountain bikes, and I remember the Tribal frames...badass!!

It's great for xc but the 58.5 cm toptube is a bit long when I try for downhill agility. And fuck me up the goat ass but I can't pull off a decent bunny hop to save my life smh.

L @PND this cost me under $1000 American 1 year ago so again, you should have 0 problems with finding something decent. Used really is the way to go as @GiarcDrofwarc already mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:

seekntruth

#keepladyhands
First 100
Jan 18, 2015
Fucked up story...

Grizzly kills mountain biker near Glacier National Park

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A grizzly bear attacked and killed a 38-year-old mountain biker as he was riding along a trail just outside Glacier National Park, Montana authorities said.

Brad Treat and another rider were in the Halfmoon Lakes area of the Flathead National Forest Wednesday when they apparently surprised the bear, Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry said.

The bear knocked Treat off his bike, and the second rider left to look for help, Curry said.

Authorities found Treat's body at the scene, but not the bear. Wildlife and law-enforcement officials were searching for the grizzly Wednesday evening.

Treat was a law-enforcement officer with the U.S. Forest Service.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Fucked up story...

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — A grizzly bear attacked and killed a 38-year-old mountain biker as he was riding along a trail just outside Glacier National Park, Montana authorities said.

Brad Treat and another rider were in the Halfmoon Lakes area of the Flathead National Forest Wednesday when they apparently surprised the bear, Flathead County Sheriff Chuck Curry said.

The bear knocked Treat off his bike, and the second rider left to look for help, Curry said.

Authorities found Treat's body at the scene, but not the bear. Wildlife and law-enforcement officials were searching for the grizzly Wednesday evening.

Treat was a law-enforcement officer with the U.S. Forest Service.

Damn, that is fucked up. What a terrible way to go.

There is an upside- he went while feeling a rush. The adrenaline and shock may well have flooded his brain with enough chemicals to wash away the pain.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

It's great for xc but the 58.5 cm toptube is a bit long when I try for downhill agility. And fuck me up the goat ass but I can't pull off a decent bunny hop to save my life smh.

L @PND this cost me under $1000 American 1 year ago so again, you should have 0 problems with finding something decent. Used really is the way to go as @GiarcDrofwarc already mentioned.
Rad bike @blank !

Wider, flatter bars are popular now (like 720mm to 740mm), and so are shorter stems (a lot of folks ride 70mm or less now). That combo might help the way your bike handles/feels on the DH sections. Plus, it won't make much difference on how it feels on the x-country sections. Just a suggestion.

Also, clipless pedals would have you bunny hopping in no time :D

Rad bike @blank !

Wider, flatter bars are popular now (like 720mm to 740mm), and so are shorter stems (a lot of folks ride 70mm or less now). That combo might help the way your bike handles/feels on the DH sections. Plus, it won't make much difference on how it feels on the x-country sections. Just a suggestion.

Also, clipless pedals would have you bunny hopping in no time :D
I'd been meaning to ask you about the stem, right now I have a 70mm raceface but I have a 50mm hussefelt and wanted to know how you think that would react with the "geometry" of the bike.
Flatter bars? what's the advantage?
The 690mm I"ve got on there now is a step up from the 580mm bars I had until a month ago (hard to handle).

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I'd been meaning to ask you about the stem, right now I have a 70mm raceface but I have a 50mm hussefelt and wanted to know how you think that would react with the "geometry" of the bike.
Flatter bars? what's the advantage?
The 690mm I"ve got on there now is a step up from the 580mm bars I had until a month ago (hard to handle).
The shorter stem will make your steering feel a little more snappy, which I like for DH stuff. It takes more subtle movements to control your line. I think it's worth swapping it out to the 50mm to see how it feels.

The flat bars may be more popular since 29er movement that has taken over. Since the 29ers ride so high already, it helps keep you lower and in a better position. I am on a set of flat bars now for the first time in years, and I really like it. The wide bars spread out your grip which feels more stable, and a shorter stem will set you back (not over the front wheel as much). The 690mm is a great step in the right direction if you were coming from 580mm. I like the flat bars because it feels like i'm in a better attack position (if that makes sense).

It really all comes down to "feel" and whatever works best for you. But you can really change the way your bike handles with just finding the right bars and stem. You may have to play around a bit to find the right combo.

Last edited:

Limpy

Banned
Oct 20, 2015

That bike is cool.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
The shorter stem will make your steering feel a little more snappy, which I like for DH stuff. It takes more subtle movements to control your line. I think it's worth swapping it out to the 50mm to see how it feels.

The flat bars may be more popular since 29er movement that has taken over. Since the 29ers ride so high already, it helps keep you lower and in a better position. I am on a set of flat bars now for the first time in years, and I really like it. The wide bars spread out your grip which feels more stable, and a shorter stem will set you back (not over the front wheel as much). The 690mm is a great step in the right direction if you were coming from 580mm. I like the flat bars because it feels like i'm in a better attack position (if that makes sense).

It really all comes down to "feel" and whatever works best for you. But you can really change the way your bike handles with just finding the right bars and stem. You may have to play around a bit to find the right combo.
I think I have a 35mm stem with the wide bars. As far as stability and control at high speeds it feels great but every once and a while I go between a narrow set of trees and cringe as it feels like one side is gonna catch.

You guys seen the frames with pneumatic seat posts?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Here's some options in Okanagan area L @PND. Not sure you height/weight but you get the idea. Living where you do I'd assume you'd like something more towards downhill?

2007 Devinci Wilson 3 - Castanet Classifieds

Kona Mountian bike - Castanet Classifieds

^^^ I might consider selling our Kona that's very similar to this for less if you like

2008 Brodie 9 Ball with MONSTERS - Castanet Classifieds

Giant Yukon FX - Castanet Classifieds

Giant Ac3 *reduced* - Castanet Classifieds

You can get great l mountain style which will do DH and XC just fine.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I think I have a 35mm stem with the wide bars. As far as stability and control at high speeds it feels great but every once and a while I go between a narrow set of trees and cringe as it feels like one side is gonna catch.

You guys seen the frames with pneumatic seat posts?
Yeah, tight spots are the downfall of the wide bars. I rode the famous Hangover Trail in Sedona, AZ last fall. There is a section about 2 miles long where there is a vertical rock wall on your left, and then like a 500 foot drop to your right. The trail is just wide enough to fit a bike. I bumped my bars a few times on the rock wall (which makes you correct in the direction you don't want to fall). My buddy behind me was freaking the fuck out haha.

Him: Dude, quit doing that. you're going to fall and I'm freaking out.

Me: Quit fucking scolding me, I'm trying to fucking focus here

And yeah man, dropper posts are great. I've used them before and really like them. It opens a whole new world on DH stuff by just getting the seat out of your way. Only reason I don't have one on the Turner is because I'm using a drop-back seat post to get the fit right. It's a large frame, but Turner's have kind of short top tubes so it's what made it right for me (long ass monkey arms). To get a good dropper post you're looking at $300-400. And just like suspension, seals blow out and they require maintenance. Most folks I ride with have a dropper, and say once you have one you'll never ride without.

Here's some options in Okanagan area L @PND. Not sure you height/weight but you get the idea. Living where you do I'd assume you'd like something more towards downhill?

2007 Devinci Wilson 3 - Castanet Classifieds

Kona Mountian bike - Castanet Classifieds

^^^ I might consider selling our Kona that's very similar to this for less if you like

2008 Brodie 9 Ball with MONSTERS - Castanet Classifieds

Giant Yukon FX - Castanet Classifieds

Giant Ac3 *reduced* - Castanet Classifieds

You can get great l mountain style which will do DH and XC just fine.
That Giant Yukon is advertised as good for DH and XC, it seems a bit burly to me but what do I know? You seem to have a fair bit of knowledge, is it really xc capable?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
That Giant Yukon is advertised as good for DH and XC, it seems a bit burly to me but what do I know? You seem to have a fair bit of knowledge, is it really xc capable?
Looks like a full on DH bike to me, I wouldn't want to ride that thing XC

It does look like it'd be fun going downhill really fast though :)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just by looking at it I'd assume it's set up for DH but could be made to suit XC with a bit of money and time, could even sell off unused DH parts to make some up. If you can lock out the front forks that's perfect but just look at that head tube angle, it's made for steep fast runs. If you go back and look at my Banshee it's pretty similar but it's really quite light with tamer geometry and I can lock out my front end so climbing is tolerable. Like most others sports best case scenario is to have purpose built machine for each style but it's tough to justify. Being in BC I'll always favour a DH set up bit not go hardcore, if it's tough to climb then it need to get in better shape not build my bike.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Looks like a full on DH bike to me, I wouldn't want to ride that thing XC

It does look like it'd be fun going downhill really fast though :)
My old Norco was 48 lbs.... amazing DH but impossible to get going level or uphill.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Like most others sports best case scenario is to have purpose built machine for each style but it's tough to justify
This is why I end up buying what they categorize as a "trail" bike these days, which is somewhere in the middle of a XC bike and a freeride/enduro bike. Sort of an all-purpose bike if you will. My Sultan is a goddamned billy goat - it is snappy and fast, accelerates and climbs amazing. But it also has a slacker head angle and 140mm shock up front so it downhills great and handles real well in the rough (within reason, not talking big mountain stuff).

When the 29er movement hit all the frame builders really had to scramble to make the geometry work with those big hoops. What worked with 26ers didn't work anymore. I think that process has really helped most companies dial everything in. It is all about head angle, chain stay length, bar/stem length, etc these days. I love watching the technology of this sport evolve!

Now if I can just save up for the Santa Cruz Hightower I want so badly....

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
My old Norco was 48 lbs.... amazing DH but impossible to get going level or uphill.
Yeah man, that sounds about right for a DH rig. That is a little over 20 lbs heavier than my Sultan...

I'm at the point now that I just rent a DH rig when I make it to the lift access trails.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
This is why I end up buying what they categorize as a "trail" bike these days, which is somewhere in the middle of a XC bike and a freeride/enduro bike. Sort of an all-purpose bike if you will. My Sultan is a goddamned billy goat - it is snappy and fast, accelerates and climbs amazing. But it also has a slacker head angle and 140mm shock up front so it downhills great and handles real well in the rough (within reason, not talking big mountain stuff).

When the 29er movement hit all the frame builders really had to scramble to make the geometry work with those big hoops. What worked with 26ers didn't work anymore. I think that process has really helped most companies dial everything in. It is all about head angle, chain stay length, bar/stem length, etc these days. I love watching the technology of this sport evolve!

Now if I can just save up for the Santa Cruz Hightower I want so badly....
Ya my next bike will probably be a little more XC but it all depends on what's out there, I just can't justify to buy new. I'd like to get a Devinci or back to a Norco, no complaints now with my bike though as it's pretty well rounded for what I ride here.

What do you wear for armour? You do much DH?

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Yeah man, that sounds about right for a DH rig. That is a little over 20 lbs heavier than my Sultan...

I'm at the point now that I just rent a DH rig when I make it to the lift access trails.
Funny I was just considering this. My dirt bike is for sale and if I sold my mtn bike I could put that towards a newer one and have to rent for a season or two. Silverstar has a really nice fleet to offer.