Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
We just bought one of these for my wife :)

2013 Distortion 2.0 - Enduro - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

Bikes all tuned and in great shape. Only drawback is the 26" wheels but if she uses it enough over the next season then we can justify an possible upgrade later on.
Nice!

That's a pretty decent build on thae bike. Depending on your wife's experience level, the 26" wheels aren't necessarily a drawback. Some think they're a little easier to handle.

And I have a soft spot for GT bikes, I rode them for years during the early part of my mountain biking career. I had a Karakoram, a Pantera, an Avalanche, a Zaskar, and a Team I-drive. I eventually branched away from GT, but I loved each one of those!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Nice!

That's a pretty decent build on thae bike. Depending on your wife's experience level, the 26" wheels aren't necessarily a drawback. Some think they're a little easier to handle.

And I have a soft spot for GT bikes, I rode them for years during the early part of my mountain biking career. I had a Karakoram, a Pantera, an Avalanche, a Zaskar, and a Team I-drive. I eventually branched away from GT, but I loved each one of those!
Good to hear you approve! Not sarcasm either. I never really knew how GT and the mountain bike world went as I only know them from my BMX days. From what I read before buying this bike was pretty solid in it's time and a lot of bike mags gave it high praise. I'm pretty happy that my wife and I can go ride together now. We're already trying to book an RV trip with just us based around trails in bc.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Good to hear you approve! Not sarcasm either. I never really knew how GT and the mountain bike world went as I only know them from my BMX days. From what I read before buying this bike was pretty solid in it's time and a lot of bike mags gave it high praise. I'm pretty happy that my wife and I can go ride together now. We're already trying to book an RV trip with just us based around trails in bc.
You are correct, GT was a popular brand in the BMX world, and then they got into mountain bikes when that took off. I grew up in a small town, and we had to travel an hour or so to get to a bike good shop. The nearest shop for me back then sold GT (the owner was a former pro BMXer that always rode GT), so that's how it became the brand for me. I rode GT all the way through the 90s, and had my last one in 2001. They were right up there with all the other big brand bikes like Trek, Specialized, etc. In the early 2000s the brand took a fairly big hit. They changed ownership I believe, and they started focusing on entry to mid level bikes, which wasn't good for me. And they had a few rough years as a lot of boutique brand bikes started getting a better foothold on the market (like Santa Cruz and Rocky Mountain). But, they remedied their issues and have been making solid bikes again for quite a while.

That's awesome you and the wife can hit the trail together :)
The RV trip sounds awesome! That's living the good life IMO.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just watched this video - fuck, you have some awesome riding there!

Have you been able to get out on your new rig yet?
Not yet but I think any day now. The one trail system I'm moving close to still has snow according to the LBS but there's lots of other milder options I'm able to hit I bet. Getting pretty excited. Yesterday I order Maxxis High Roller 2 for the front and a Maxxis Aggressor for the rear along with a mini front fender so I don't eat as much mud. I also posted my cyclocross bike for sale. My goal is to focus in on a select few of my many hobbies in an effort to take it to the next level and the road bike is first to go. All the proceeds will go into my MTN or dirt bike :).

Who was the former BMX pro at that shop? My steed back in the day was a 1995 Robinson Team XL which is a GT product. Bike cost over $1000 back then and I was only 15 so it was my pride and joy. You ever watch those guy race? It's crazy how fast they are on the track.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Maxxis High Roller 2 for the front and a Maxxis Aggressor for the rear
Those are great tires, I'm a big fan of Maxxis. The HR2 is a fantastic option for up front.

My goal is to focus in on a select few of my many hobbies in an effort to take it to the next level and the road bike is first to go. All the proceeds will go into my MTN or dirt bike
Love it! Good plan!

Who was the former BMX pro at that shop? My steed back in the day was a 1995 Robinson Team XL which is a GT product. Bike cost over $1000 back then and I was only 15 so it was my pride and joy. You ever watch those guy race? It's crazy how fast they are on the track.
Man, it's been so long now I forget his last name. His name is Mike and he still runs the bike shop that his dad started (in Pekin, Illinois). He probably would have been racing in the 80's. He used to have all of his plaques/trophies/medals hanging up in his office. I remember those Robinson bikes! I used to watch BMX in the 90s, but I haven't paid much attention for a while. But you are right, it is amazing how fast they would tackle those tracks. We had a BMX track around when I was a kid. I never raced BMX, but man that was a lot of fun. It's been a long time since I've been on a BMX bike, I imagine it would feel strange compared to by mountain bike.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Those are great tires, I'm a big fan of Maxxis. The HR2 is a fantastic option for up front.

Love it! Good plan!

Man, it's been so long now I forget his last name. His name is Mike and he still runs the bike shop that his dad started (in Pekin, Illinois). He probably would have been racing in the 80's. He used to have all of his plaques/trophies/medals hanging up in his office. I remember those Robinson bikes! I used to watch BMX in the 90s, but I haven't paid much attention for a while. But you are right, it is amazing how fast they would tackle those tracks. We had a BMX track around when I was a kid. I never raced BMX, but man that was a lot of fun. It's been a long time since I've been on a BMX bike, I imagine it would feel strange compared to by mountain bike.
You ever consider coming up to BC for a bike trip with your buddies or family? I could help you build an itinerary if need be. We have our travel trailer that sleeps 9 (6 if nobody is sharing) that I could tow and set up at any of those places in the PB video you just saw and many more spots too. Just for fun you should research Silver Star in Vernon BC, Big White in Kelowna, Revelstoke, Fernie, Whistler, Rossland, Sun Peaks in Kamloops and all the places in Kelowna like Smith Creek, Rose Valley, Powers Creek etc... You have to buy flight tickets and ship your bike plus food and drink. I could even join you for a day. Seriously look into it for fun and if it makes sense it would be a bucket list thing for biking. We have been talking about renting out our trailer when we aren't using it but until we figure out how that works I'd set you up just for fun as a TMMAC discount. If not free of charge it would be peanuts compared to having to book accommodation in riding season plus RV is awesome way to wrap up a long day out.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
You ever consider coming up to BC for a bike trip with your buddies or family?
Definitely. Nothing booked at the moment, but like you said it is a bucket list thing for me to get up to BC. So many awesome places to ride. Whistler and Kamloops have been on my bucket list for a long time now. I'm familiar with a few of the others you mentioned, but there are also some I haven't heard of that I'll look up.

Thanks for making this offer, I will definitely keep that in mind! Much appreciated, as those are the kind of options that can sometimes make or break a trip.

I can only assume that the travel trailer comes fully stocked with the finest herb/edibles known to mankind, right? :D
:cheers:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Definitely. Nothing booked at the moment, but like you said it is a bucket list thing for me to get up to BC. So many awesome places to ride. Whistler and Kamloops have been on my bucket list for a long time now. I'm familiar with a few of the others you mentioned, but there are also some I haven't heard of that I'll look up.

Thanks for making this offer, I will definitely keep that in mind! Much appreciated, as those are the kind of options that can sometimes make or break a trip.

I can only assume that the travel trailer comes fully stocked with the finest herb/edibles known to mankind, right? :D
:cheers:
If you come up you'll be overwhelmed with our northern hospitality. Beleedat.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
La Paix @BirdWatcher
The snow clear out yet so you can ride?

It's already getting hot here...got sunburned pretty good last couple rides. Summer is here soon. I embrace it though. Riding in the heat separates the boys from the men :D

I say that jokingly, but the heat here is real and you have to prepare (with diet/nutrition, hydration, etc). In the hot months I'll go through a gallon of water in a couple hours.

Similar to living somewhere cold, it takes some conditioning to adjust your body to the heat. I work outside a lot so that helps keep me adjusted. Heat stroke and heat exhaustion are very real, I've seen it a bunch of times. I have a good buddy that got heat stroke pretty good several years ago. He's never been the same, and he struggles badly now if it's above 85F. Yay Texas :)

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
It needs upgrading. It's been dormant for so many years. Needs a new cassette and chain. Pedals. Who knows what else. But i got to start somewhere.

If you change the cassette and chain,consider changing the chain rings too. They all wear in together.
Are your brakes hydraulic? If the bike has been sitting dormant for a while, it might not be a bad idea to bleed the brake lines/calipers.
And maybe have the fork serviced. Seals dry out and whatnot.

Thant's all I got :)

Have fun bro, and get out on the trail!

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
If you change the cassette and chain,consider changing the chain rings too. They all wear in together.
Are your brakes hydraulic? If the bike has been sitting dormant for a while, it might not be a bad idea to bleed the brake lines/calipers.

I just had the brakes done. They were fucked.

I'm gonna ride it tomorrow night, not spending any more money until I've actually ridden it though.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016

How easy are the chain rings to change? I've not looked to see if it's a complete chain set. Changing the cassette at the back is pretty easy as is the chain. But never thought about the front ones.