Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
How easy are the chain rings to change? I've not looked to see if it's a complete chain set. Changing the cassette at the back is pretty easy as is the chain. But never thought about the front ones.
Very easy. 4 bolts per chain ring. All you need is an allen wrench

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Very easy. 4 bolts per chain ring. All you need is an allen wrench
Nice. Are they expensive and how on earth do i know which ones to buy.

Ok on cassettes. Whilst were on it then. Choosing a rear cassette. How? I've never bought one and the bike shop want a few quid. I think i can do it myself. Got an 8 speed. Can i just get any old 8 speed shimano one to replace an 8 speed shimano one?

Chain whip. Off. On. Done. Do the chain.

Is that it??

I know a bit... But not much about bikes. Plus it's always scarier before you actually do it.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Nice. Are they expensive and how on earth do i know which ones to buy.

Ok on cassettes. Whilst were on it then. Choosing a rear cassette. How? I've never bought one and the bike shop want a few quid. I think i can do it myself. Got an 8 speed. Can i just get any old 8 speed shimano one to replace an 8 speed shimano one?

Chain whip. Off. On. Done. Do the chain.

Is that it??

I know a bit... But not much about bikes. Plus it's always scarier before you actually do it.
Chain rings aren't too expensive, and there is no need to buy anything fancy. If you don't use the granny gear (the smallest ring up front)very often, you may not need to change that. Usually the bigger two are more used and worn out. Do you know what brand your cranks are? You can always buy direct replacements, or you could look on a website like Jenson USA or Performance. You'll want to look at a rings for a "triple crank setup" (i.e. you don't want 1X or single speed rings). The only other thing you really need to know is how many teeth are on each ring.

If your current cassette is an 8-speed shimano, any 8 speed shimano will work. Look for Shimano Deore or SLX level components. They should be fairly cheap.

With your chain, make sure you get the right one (8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speed, etc.). And if you don't know the method for determining the proper chain length when you have to put on the new chain, you can count the links on the old one (assuming that one works fine and was installed properly). You will need a chain breaker. You can also buy a removable master link, they are easier to use than trying to get a chain link pin installed properly. Once installed, a master link will allow you to break your chain without needing a special tool.

Sounds like you're on the right track. And you're right, most of it isn't that hard to do. Especially once you've done it once or twice.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Chain rings aren't too expensive, and there is no need to buy anything fancy. If you don't use the granny gear (the smallest ring up front)very often, you may not need to change that. Usually the bigger two are more used and worn out. Do you know what brand your cranks are? You can always buy direct replacements, or you could look on a website like Jenson USA or Performance. You'll want to look at a rings for a "triple crank setup" (i.e. you don't want 1X or single speed rings). The only other thing you really need to know is how many teeth are on each ring.

If your current cassette is an 8-speed shimano, any 8 speed shimano will work. Look for Shimano Deore or SLX level components. They should be fairly cheap.

With your chain, make sure you get the right one (8 speed, 9 speed, 10 speed, etc.). And if you don't know the method for determining the proper chain length when you have to put on the new chain, you can count the links on the old one (assuming that one works fine and was installed properly). You will need a chain breaker. You can also buy a removable master link, they are easier to use than trying to get a chain link pin installed properly. Once installed, a master link will allow you to break your chain without needing a special tool.

Sounds like you're on the right track. And you're right, most of it isn't that hard to do. Especially once you've done it once or twice.
That's a brilliant post. I'll try and find time tomorrow night to do some investigating on it. Getting almost no time at the mo so bit depressing looking at the bike but not riding it. Can't really go out in the dark... I'll stick to the road bike until i can get a new cassette and chain as a minimum, likely new front rings too. I don't get home from work till it's basically dark even at the mo (we are getting lighter here in the UK) so it just means I've got to try and do it all in the dark. No lights installed in my garden and my missus would kill me if i got it into the kitchen to look at.

I'll report back once I've checked your suggestions and made some progress. I'm excited about it already.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I'll report back once I've checked your suggestions and made some progress. I'm excited about it already.
Cool man, we'll chime in and help if you have any questions.

Glad you're excited man! That's why this thread was started. If you have the time to go back through and read everything, you'll find that I like to talk about bikes ;)

La Paix @BirdWatcher is a wealth of information as well.

@blank
What's your update (if any)?

Any luck searching for a new ride?
Still searching. It can be a bit harder to find a good deal here because Poles who are selling, are seldom familiar with either the theme of amortization nor negotiationo_O
But...I'm still optimistic. It's been overcast and raining for most of the last 6 weeks so I haven't missed too much :)

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
Went out today after replacing my rear cassette and chain.

I also cleaned my jockey wheels (i literally have no idea why) and obviously in replacing them got something wrong. My top jockey wheel is somewhere out there on the trail in a bush. Never found it again.

Long long long ass walk back to the car for me.

Ordered a replacement pair, so no riding until they arrive.

Talk about bummed out, i was right down in the dumps

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016

I also cleaned my jockey wheels (i literally have no idea why) and obviously in replacing them got something wrong. My top jockey wheel is somewhere out there on the trail in a bush. Never found it again.

Bummer man!

Did you take them off to clean them? Should be any easy repair....make sure they're tightened down good!

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016

I feel for you dude those walks suck. I remember one time I had a Friday afternoon off work so I got all my gear loaded up and drove about 45 minutes out of town to a trailhead I liked. I was in a great mood, the weather was beautiful and I was the only one there. I was about 4km in the bush when I ripped my sidewall wide open on a jagged rock. I ride tubeless and the hole was about an inch long so there was no fixing the tear. I had to walk back to my truck cursing my luck.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Still no riding yet. Snows all gone for the most part but it's been nasty rain. Our LBS is having their Norco demo days and trail clean up on the 23rd so I may hit that up and try some bikes out.

benjo0101

TMMAC Addict
Jun 13, 2016
I feel for you dude those walks suck. I remember one time I had a Friday afternoon off work so I got all my gear loaded up and drove about 45 minutes out of town to a trailhead I liked. I was in a great mood, the weather was beautiful and I was the only one there. I was about 4km in the bush when I ripped my sidewall wide open on a jagged rock. I ride tubeless and the hole was about an inch long so there was no fixing the tear. I had to walk back to my truck cursing my luck.
I've had similar. Today wasn't as bad as some I've had.

View: https://youtu.be/tK609rbSBLs

This guy takes the title for me

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Finally got out for my first real ride of the season. Went to Smith Creek for an 11km climb then a great trail called Feel the love back down. All kinds of great switch backs in a shallow creek, up one wall down then down the other side over and over. I'm taking the GoPro next time and posting a video. Only picture a snapped today. Trip was 2 hours total.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Finally got out for my first real ride of the season. Went to Smith Creek for an 11km climb then a great trail called Feel the love back down. All kinds of great switch backs in a shallow creek, up one wall down then down the other side over and over. I'm taking the GoPro next time and posting a video. Only picture a snapped today. Trip was 2 hours total.

Rock on!

Thoughts on the new bike? How do you like the 1x setup?

I know they're expensive, but look into a dropper seatpost. They're awesome. I've gotten used to mine now, and it's become one of those "I'll never ride without this again" kind of things.

Cheers bro, glad you made it out finally!

As I sit here right now, I'm planning an 11 or 12 day Colorado trip in July. Can't wait! Going to spend time on the front range (Golden area) and then Crested Butte after.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Rock on!

Thoughts on the new bike? How do you like the 1x setup?

I know they're expensive, but look into a dropper seatpost. They're awesome. I've gotten used to mine now, and it's become one of those "I'll never ride without this again" kind of things.

Cheers bro, glad you made it out finally!

As I sit here right now, I'm planning an 11 or 12 day Colorado trip in July. Can't wait! Going to spend time on the front range (Golden area) and then Crested Butte after.
LOVE the bike, big Tha s to you for helping with so much advice. Once you see how the trail switch he's in and out of this little Creek you'll see how great a 29er is when diving into the low points. I kept thinking a 26 would be a slowed trek down down in comparison. Also on climbs I felt I didn't have to assist the front end nearly as much while going over logs, stumps and so on, us the climbing itself felt good. I was a little skeptical in some techy spots but after a few it wasn't an issue, just need to know the rims boundaries. Literally everything went great great bike wise and I'm probably going again this week. Hopefully I can get some fun GoPro shots.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
LOVE the bike, big Tha s to you for helping with so much advice. Once you see how the trail switch he's in and out of this little Creek you'll see how great a 29er is when diving into the low points. I kept thinking a 26 would be a slowed trek down down in comparison. Also on climbs I felt I didn't have to assist the front end nearly as much while going over logs, stumps and so on, us the climbing itself felt good. I was a little skeptical in some techy spots but after a few it wasn't an issue, just need to know the rims boundaries. Literally everything went great great bike wise and I'm probably going again this week. Hopefully I can get some fun GoPro shots.
Right on man, sounds like you've experienced firsthand now the advantages of 29ers! They definitely roll faster, and you're right, they do roll over obstacles better. Glad you're digging it :D

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc can you recommend a good bike rack for the roof of a small SUV? My wife's drives a Nissan Murano and it's a pain stuffing it in the hatch sometimes. Ive ways had a truck so I've never looked into a rooftop style, any good ones you've seen in action?