Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Jesus good or Jesus bad? Those fucker are pricey new!
both.
If I go for it then I should be happy.
If I don't, well then opportunity lost and money saved.
I'm gonna focus on some more practical things for a day and see if the guy will go down to 25.
You've been a huge help regardless.
Thanks man!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
both.
If I go for it then I should be happy.
If I don't, well then opportunity lost and money saved.
I'm gonna focus on some more practical things for a day and see if the guy will go down to 25.
You've been a huge help regardless.
Thanks man!
I'm a big fan of RM bikes. Good luck finding the right deal on the right bike!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
what would you pay for a
2015 Thunderbolt 770 MSL Yellow and black, dropper post xt shifters 1x11 and dropper post?
He's asking $2700 and says he's not very flexible on the price.
I'd like to agree but the bluebook value is 2400 and I'm not sure if a 1by system and a dropper post actually justify the extra $$$ on a used item.
I've always been a fan of Rocky Mountain bikes. I wasn't as familiar with the Thunderbolt, but I just read up on that one and it's a really nice bike. I'm certain you would find much joy in that bike, it is very capable. They are really pricey new as La Paix @BirdWatcher said, so that price isn't terrible.

As far as the $300 difference between bluebook and his asking price:

A 1x setup and dropper post would cost you twice that to add yourself afterwards. Drivetrain parts aren't that expensive, but you need multiple things so it does add up (derailleur, shifter, cassette, chain, chainring). A 1x setup is well worth the money, and even better if you can get one already setup with it. I'm positive you will like the 1x. If you ever want any help with that let us know (especially if you're buying new parts), because you can play with the gears by changing the amount of teeth on the chainring and cassette. Basically you can set it up for more speed, or you can have it so you have nice climbing gears. Just depends on where and what type of riding you will be doing. For example, before my trip out here to CO I changed my front chainring from a 34 tooth to a 32 tooth because I knew I was going to be doing some gut busting climbs.

And the dropper posts are expensive, but again a very useful addition. It took me a while to get used to mine, but eventually it becomes second nature like shifting. It is a huge advantage to be able to drop your seat down before pointing your bike downhill. Allows you to tuck down easier and lower your center. Really does make a big difference.

Anyway, just throwing some thoughts out there. Good luck with your search!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc my wife and I just booked 4 days in Whistler during Crankworx, without the kids!
Hell yeah man, that'll be bad ass! Take pics/vids!

I just looked at the scheduled events and they have some cool stuff planned. Anything in particular you're wanting to see? I've been enjoying the pump track events lately. The enduro events are the shit.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Hell yeah man, that'll be bad ass! Take pics/vids!

I just looked at the scheduled events and they have some cool stuff planned. Anything in particular you're wanting to see? I've been enjoying the pump track events lately. The enduro events are the shit.
I haven't been to Crankworx before so I'm excited. No real plans as of yet but I'll get an idea once I'm there. We arrive Friday afternoon and will just got the village and events that night. Then Saturday I have a Norco Aurum rented and a buddy is coming up to ride DH all day.

Sunday I'm riding again but on my 29er. Probably do mostly DH again but the greens and blues as it'll be my wife who's my partner.

Our hotel has a pool and hot tub so each will be ended there I'm sure. Monday will be a slow start before we head home.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I haven't been to Crankworx before so I'm excited. No real plans as of yet but I'll get an idea once I'm there. We arrive Friday afternoon and will just got the village and events that night. Then Saturday I have a Norco Aurum rented and a buddy is coming up to ride DH all day.

Sunday I'm riding again but on my 29er. Probably do mostly DH again but the greens and blues as it'll be my wife who's my partner.

Our hotel has a pool and hot tub so each will be ended there I'm sure. Monday will be a slow start before we head home.
Sounds like an awesome trip man. I'm sure you and the wife will have a blast.

That Norco is sweet! I got to do a little riding on my buddies DH bike (Specialized Demo 8) in CO...holy cow DH bikes are fun.

Hauler

Been fallin so long it's like gravitys gone
Feb 3, 2016
I was out for a run and noticed a kid ride a bmx bike behind a dumpster in the corner of a parking lot and he disappeared. The parking lot has woods around the perimeter, so there wasn't really anywhere for him to go. I went to check it out and starting behind the dumpster these kids have made a trail through the woods for their bikes.

Nothing elaborate, but still pretty cool. Next chance I get you can bet your sweet ass I'm dusting my bike off and hitting that trail. I'm a bit curious to see where it goes.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I was out for a run and noticed a kid ride a bmx bike behind a dumpster in the corner of a parking lot and he disappeared. The parking lot has woods around the perimeter, so there wasn't really anywhere for him to go. I went to check it out and starting behind the dumpster these kids have made a trail through the woods for their bikes.

Nothing elaborate, but still pretty cool. Next chance I get you can bet your sweet ass I'm dusting my bike off and hitting that trail. I'm a bit curious to see where it goes.
That's pretty much how I got started with mountain biking. Me and a buddy cut a trail in the woods in one of the parks. We called it "Death Trail" lol. It would be pretty easy compared to what I ride today, but we cut our teeth on that trail.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
View from yesterday's ride. Little smokey from fires but it cleared up nice by noon.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Grateful Dude @GratefulGiarc so it looks like I'm gonna sell my dirt bike, I need a DH rig. Depending on what it goes for I'm either going to buy a straight up DH fridge and have 2 MTN bikes or selling my Giant too and get something like a Devinci Spartan or Norco Range. From what I've seen and read bikes like that can tear it up DH and not fall apart pus do the climbs around here.

Any recommendations?

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
From what I've seen and read bikes like that can tear it up DH and not fall apart pus do the climbs around here.
You can definitely find a "jack-of-all-trades" bike that will DH amazing, and also pedal/climb well.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at a Santa Cruz Bronson or Nomad (both 27.5) or a Hightower LT (29er). All 3 of these will do it all, the Nomad will have the edge on DH, the other two will edge out on climbing. All are amazing though, just depends on what you want to emphasize most and if you want to stay 29er or go 27.5.

Take a look at these and let me know which one you think is a best fit for you and I will give some other options/brands/models.

Nomad V4 MY18

Bronson V2 MY18

Hightower LT V1 MY18

Another good option is a Trek Remedy, it is a very capable bike. I have a buddy who races enduro on one, so I know it can do DH and climb well.

Remedy 9.9 Race Shop Limited | Trek Bikes

For what you're looking for I'd think about going somewhere around 150-170mm travel for the shocks (my guess is that your Giant is 120mm in the back).

Let me know what you think of any of these and I'll spit out some more options.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You can definitely find a "jack-of-all-trades" bike that will DH amazing, and also pedal/climb well.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at a Santa Cruz Bronson or Nomad (both 27.5) or a Hightower LT (29er). All 3 of these will do it all, the Nomad will have the edge on DH, the other two will edge out on climbing. All are amazing though, just depends on what you want to emphasize most and if you want to stay 29er or go 27.5.

Take a look at these and let me know which one you think is a best fit for you and I will give some other options/brands/models.

Nomad V4 MY18

Bronson V2 MY18

Hightower LT V1 MY18

Another good option is a Trek Remedy, it is a very capable bike. I have a buddy who races enduro on one, so I know it can do DH and climb well.

Remedy 9.9 Race Shop Limited | Trek Bikes

For what you're looking for I'd think about going somewhere around 150-170mm travel for the shocks (my guess is that your Giant is 120mm in the back).

Let me know what you think of any of these and I'll spit out some more options.
Oh nice I'll check those out shortly.

I just found out about the Trek Remedy and have a few on my watch list on PB and they seem like a solid fit.

My priority is to lean more to DH and probably try a 650b set up with the a minimum travel of 150mm. So far the front runner is the Giant Reign as all the reviews are great and that it's the most DH orientated all mountain out there. I'm looking to spend around $3000CA if that helps you point to some others. It's cool taking to a guy like you who has a completely different scene and knows brands and models I'd never see. The only down side is so don't want to bike that needs to have parts ordered in every time I wrench on it. This is why I keep looking at Norco, Giant, Devinci and so on as they are staples in the PNW bike scene.

Other ones I'm reading up on are Pivot Mach 6, Yeti SB6, Capra, Specialized stumpjumper, Slash..

You ride an Evil yes? They have anything to offer? I'm curious about the Santa Cruz for sure, always liked those.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
So my wife is in her 2nd real season of MTN biking and is killing it. We put our kids into an 8 week camp at Silverstar so we are there as a family every Sunday in July and August. We usually drop kids off and hot trails or DH for the day. Yesterday we got a 2 up pass and spent the afternoon in the skills Park and pump track.

A month ago my wife was scoffing at the notion she needed to learn a basic wheelie, like just to pop it up for obstacles. She started to practice here and there but yesterday was a huge turning point. With just 25 minutes at the skills area she went from "nah I'm good with rolling everywhere" to this.

Amazing!

So now the plan is to sell my dirt bike and 29er plus her road bike and 29er she just got and get us both into the next level bikes were talking about now. Love it!

@blank did everything go ok with the Rocky MTN?
He says he'll have it sent out tomorrow....I'm more worried that a small Thunderbolt will be too small for me. Mediums are usually too big but this bike is fairly popular with women (although not designed for them specifically) so....we'll see. I appreciate that you're checking up on it = more cool points for you.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
He says he'll have it sent out tomorrow....I'm more worried that a small Thunderbolt will be too small for me. Mediums are usually too big but this bike is fairly popular with women (although not designed for them specifically) so....we'll see. I appreciate that you're checking up on it = more cool points for you.
I'm on a Giant size medium and it's perfect. I'm 5'11" and 176 lbs for reference. I've never really risen a RM so I'm not sure how they fit their frames. Giants are usually bigger than most.

I'm on a Giant size medium and it's perfect. I'm 5'11" and 176 lbs for reference. I've never really risen a RM so I'm not sure how they fit their frames. Giants are usually bigger than most.
Well I called the folks at two different RM authorized dealers and the one fella said I should be fine but the other fella said that guys 5'6" and up usually opt for mediums. My hope/hunch is that a lot of guys my height don't want to admit we're shorter than average.
edit - I'm 5'7" and 156 lbs :)