Lifestyle Mountain Bikers of TMMAC

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to Sign Up today.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
You ride an Evil yes? They have anything to offer?
Yeah man, I love my Evil (I have a Following). Check out the Wreckoning, it's dope AF. Long travel 29er (160mm I think). It is allegedly a really, really fun bike to ride , especially going down.
Wreckoning

The Insurgent is a 27.5 with 150mm of travel, and is also very badass.
Insurgent

Those two bikes are fairly similar, just depends on the 27.5 or 29, but the Wreckoning is supposed to be their king for all things DH. Monster truck wheels and lots of travel. Read about their DELTA suspension system, it truly does have a bottomless feel to it. Mine is only 120mm, but it feels substantially more than other 120's I've had or rode.

My Evil just has a very at-home feel to it, and it is just naturally a sporty, fun bike to ride. I am a big fan of what Evil is doing.

Take a look at these Evil's and then let me know which of the Santa Cruz you like. That will help me with some other selections.

This is why I keep looking at Norco, Giant, Devinci and so on as they are staples in the PNW bike scene.

Other ones I'm reading up on are Pivot Mach 6, Yeti SB6, Capra, Specialized stumpjumper, Slash..

You ride an Evil yes? They have anything to offer? I'm curious about the Santa Cruz for sure, always liked those.
I've been a bit time-crunched lately, give me a little more time and when I get in front of my computer again we can get in to some of these others :) .

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
So my wife is in her 2nd real season of MTN biking and is killing it. We put our kids into an 8 week camp at Silverstar so we are there as a family every Sunday in July and August. We usually drop kids off and hot trails or DH for the day. Yesterday we got a 2 up pass and spent the afternoon in the skills Park and pump track.

A month ago my wife was scoffing at the notion she needed to learn a basic wheelie, like just to pop it up for obstacles. She started to practice here and there but yesterday was a huge turning point. With just 25 minutes at the skills area she went from "nah I'm good with rolling everywhere" to this.

Amazing!

So now the plan is to sell my dirt bike and 29er plus her road bike and 29er she just got and get us both into the next level bikes were talking about now. Love it!
Way to go Big Bird! That's awesome man, glad she's diggin it!

La Paix @BirdWatcher - there was a crack in the frame...I have received a refund and continue to be bikeless.
Now I've got it in my stupid head that I will have a RM.....there's an element for sale. It's a 29er....not sure how I feel about those.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
La Paix @BirdWatcher - there was a crack in the frame...I have received a refund and continue to be bikeless.
Now I've got it in my stupid head that I will have a RM.....there's an element for sale. It's a 29er....not sure how I feel about those.
Shitty but great catch by whoever found it, good to hear it was settle the smart way.

Are you only wanting to buy an RM? I ride a 29er right now and I love it. Having said that I'm looking for an enduro right now so I can got more DH stuff. You should to to your local bike shop and take a 29er around the block or something, they're fucking sweet IMO.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Bummer man, but good that the crack was discovered. You don't want to have a frame fall apart on ya while riding! Shouldn't have even been for sale IMO, but some cracks are tiny and hard to notice/discover. Glad you got your refund. FWIW, I would have told you to look for a medium, but that's totally a personal preference.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a RM...they are great bikes. Stay open minded and look at other brands too, it's good to see what others offer and what their advantages are and how they stack up to the RM.

I wouldn't hesitate about the 29er. I agree with La Paix @BirdWatcher, go take one for a spin and see what you think. The 29er has some very real advantages, especially for XC use. There's a lot of good reasons why the big wheels have taken over.

Good luck bro, hope you find a bike soon.

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
So my wife is in her 2nd real season of MTN biking and is killing it. We put our kids into an 8 week camp at Silverstar so we are there as a family every Sunday in July and August. We usually drop kids off and hot trails or DH for the day. Yesterday we got a 2 up pass and spent the afternoon in the skills Park and pump track.

A month ago my wife was scoffing at the notion she needed to learn a basic wheelie, like just to pop it up for obstacles. She started to practice here and there but yesterday was a huge turning point. With just 25 minutes at the skills area she went from "nah I'm good with rolling everywhere" to this.

Amazing!

So now the plan is to sell my dirt bike and 29er plus her road bike and 29er she just got and get us both into the next level bikes were talking about now. Love it!
You're a lucky bastard. I've tried to get my wife into riding off trails and she won't do it. Offered to buy her a Santa Cruz Juliana so she could ride with me but she wasn't down with it. My son doesn't want to jump either because he doesn't like getting hurt. I have a last chance with my daughter now so I'm going to start working on her early.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
You're a lucky bastard. I've tried to get my wife into riding off trails and she won't do it. Offered to buy her a Santa Cruz Juliana so she could ride with me but she wasn't down with it. My son doesn't want to jump either because he doesn't like getting hurt. I have a last chance with my daughter now so I'm going to start working on her early.
Oh man i hope you get some chances to ride hard with your kids, it's so fun. Both my kids (6&8) are in an 8 week DH camp and things are progressing. My daughter who's 8 is the same as your son it seems. She's very safe and skeptical but once she gets it she can't stop smiling. Then my son who's 6 and is just now able to pull up the front tire, lesson 1 in many to get into manuals, bunny hops and jumping. He is picking it up super quick and has that " let's fucking do this!!" face when going hard.

I know I'm lucky to have a wife who rides and even luckier she's brave enough to hot fries and shit. Next season is gonna be amazing!

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I feel ya man, my wife won't hit the trail with me either. She'll do urban groomed trails but that's it. We ride around town a lot and I pull a trailer with the little one. The family rides are a lot of fun, and we usually stop at a playground and then get dinner/drinks after. I wish she would hit real trails with me, but we still have fun on bikes as a family.

Fingers crossed for my son to get in to biking! I think he will, he gets excited about my bike and when I'm getting ready and whatnot. He just turned 4, so we're getting close!

Side note:
I posted a page or so back about a bad crash I had in Golden CO a couple weeks ago. Turns out I fractured my knee cap (hairline fracture). Finally had it checked out. Good news is that I've been taking care of it properly and there isn't anything to do but let it heal. Another one to add to my dossier lol

Onetrickpony

Stay gold
Nov 21, 2016
Side note:
I posted a page or so back about a bad crash I had in Golden CO a couple weeks ago. Turns out I fractured my knee cap (hairline fracture). Finally had it checked out. Good news is that I've been taking care of it properly and there isn't anything to do but let it heal. Another one to add to my dossier lol
Glad you're not hurt too badly. I like the accidents you walk away from. They're honour badges you get to tell your friends about over beers. Especially the ones with cool scars.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
I like the accidents you walk away from
Agree! I have a long history of injuring myself mountain biking. It sucks being hurt bad enough to not be able to ride! Fortunately with this one I've been able to stay active. I am buying a set of knee pads soon too.

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Just got into Whistler, fuck I love this place. Also just sold my wife road bike and my 29er so good chance I get new wheels by weekend.

View from patio overlooking Forrest. Great creepage potential.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Just got into Whistler, fuck I love this place. Also just sold my wife road bike and my 29er so good chance I get new wheels by weekend.

View from patio overlooking Forrest. Great creepage potential.

Awesome man, have a great weekend! Keep the pics coming, especially the ones taken from your creepy vantage point ;)

Let me know what events you end up watching. Definitely check out one of the enduros, those are my favorite.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
In that specific model or in general?
I know it's just opinion but I don't mind hearing other people's
Hey dude, took me a bit to respond, but here's my $0.02 :

I meant in general. If you're borderline, you could probably make either work. Each brand is different, but the manufacturers are a lot better with their sizing guides these days.

I'm my experience, im just tall enough to be in to large size frames (I'm 6 feet tall). A lot of mediums fit people up to 5'11" tall (so not much shorter than me) and they feel way too small for me. I ride with several dudes right around your height and they all ride mediums. Only one guy rides a small, but he's like 5'4".

You can always adjust or change things like seat position and height, and stem length. If you're right on the line between small and medium you could definitely tune it in for you either way. If I was in that position I'd rather have the medium frame and a shorter stem (handles better) than a small frame with a long stem and the seat slammed way back. The medium frame will likely also have a slightly longer wheelbase which = more stability. I feel cramped in on a bike a little to small for me, it's much more comfortable to be able be stretched out and relaxed in the saddle.

At the end of the day it will come down to what feels right to you. Just keep in mind that there is some fine tuning you can do to customize the fit to you.

I'm pretty baked right now, so I hope that helps somehow :)

Hey dude, took me a bit to respond, but here's my $0.02 :

I meant in general. If you're borderline, you could probably make either work. Each brand is different, but the manufacturers are a lot better with their sizing guides these days.

I'm my experience, im just tall enough to be in to large size frames (I'm 6 feet tall). A lot of mediums fit people up to 5'11" tall (so not much shorter than me) and they feel way too small for me. I ride with several dudes right around your height and they all ride mediums. Only one guy rides a small, but he's like 5'4".

You can always adjust or change things like seat position and height, and stem length. If you're right on the line between small and medium you could definitely tune it in for you either way. If I was in that position I'd rather have the medium frame and a shorter stem (handles better) than a small frame with a long stem and the seat slammed way back. The medium frame will likely also have a slightly longer wheelbase which = more stability. I feel cramped in on a bike a little to small for me, it's much more comfortable to be able be stretched out and relaxed in the saddle.

At the end of the day it will come down to what feels right to you. Just keep in mind that there is some fine tuning you can do to customize the fit to you.

I'm pretty baked right now, so I hope that helps somehow :)
I have been waiting...like, I wonder if he's going to respond? Man, that's a really good point but I guess I'm worried that a 29er in M may be too big a rig for me. Still, your point is taken and many thanks for sharing. :)

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
2017 Specialized Enduro Comp. Great deal on it and they threw in a set of NRG flats for free and all the shit needed to go tubeless.

• Frame: M5 alloy, X-wing layout, All-Mountain Geometry, threaded BB, internal cable routing, ManFu link, oversized pivot bearings, 12x148mm dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Rear Shock: RockShox Monarch Plus, Rx All-Mountain Tune, AUTOSAG, rebound and 3-position compression adjust, 216x57mm
  • Fork: RockShox Yari RC 27.5, Solo Air, rebound & compression adjust, 15x110mm Maxle Ultimate thru-axle, 170mm travel
  • Rear Derailleur: SRAM GX, long cage, 11-speed
  • Number of Gears: 11
  • Shifters: SRAM NX, 11-speed, trigger
  • Chain set: RaceFace Aeffect, 6000-series alloy, 24mm spindle, 52mm chainline
  • Cassette: SRAM XG-1150, 11-speed, 10-42t
  • Chain: SRAM PC-1110, 11-speed w/PowerLink
  • Pedals: Supplied
  • Brakeset: SRAM Guide R, hydraulic disc, organic pads, Guide S4 4-piston caliper, 200/180mm rotor
  • Handlebars: Specialized DH, 6061 alloy, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 27mm rise, 780mm width
  • Stem: Specialized Trail, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
  • Grips: Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle
  • Rims: Roval Traverse 650b, hookless alloy, 29mm inner width, 24/28h, tubeless ready
  • Front Hub: Specialized disc, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings,15x110mm thru-axle, 24h
  • Rear Hub: Specialized disc, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
  • Front Tyre: Butcher, GRID casing, 650x2.3", 60TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
  • Rear Tyre: Slaughter, GRID casing, 650x2.3", 60TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
  • Saddle: Body Geometry Henge Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
  • Seatpost: Command Post IRcc, 12 position micro-height adjustable, alien head design, bottom mount cable routing, remote adjust SRL lever, 30.9mm, S: 100mm, M/L/XL: 125mm travel

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
2017 Specialized Enduro Comp. Great deal on it and they threw in a set of NRG flats for free and all the shit needed to go tubeless.

• Frame: M5 alloy, X-wing layout, All-Mountain Geometry, threaded BB, internal cable routing, ManFu link, oversized pivot bearings, 12x148mm dropouts, replaceable derailleur hanger
  • Rear Shock: RockShox Monarch Plus, Rx All-Mountain Tune, AUTOSAG, rebound and 3-position compression adjust, 216x57mm
  • Fork: RockShox Yari RC 27.5, Solo Air, rebound & compression adjust, 15x110mm Maxle Ultimate thru-axle, 170mm travel
  • Rear Derailleur: SRAM GX, long cage, 11-speed
  • Number of Gears: 11
  • Shifters: SRAM NX, 11-speed, trigger
  • Chain set: RaceFace Aeffect, 6000-series alloy, 24mm spindle, 52mm chainline
  • Cassette: SRAM XG-1150, 11-speed, 10-42t
  • Chain: SRAM PC-1110, 11-speed w/PowerLink
  • Pedals: Supplied
  • Brakeset: SRAM Guide R, hydraulic disc, organic pads, Guide S4 4-piston caliper, 200/180mm rotor
  • Handlebars: Specialized DH, 6061 alloy, 6-degree upsweep, 8-degree backsweep, 27mm rise, 780mm width
  • Stem: Specialized Trail, 3D forged alloy, 4-bolt, 6-degree rise
  • Grips: Specialized Sip Grip, half-waffle
  • Rims: Roval Traverse 650b, hookless alloy, 29mm inner width, 24/28h, tubeless ready
  • Front Hub: Specialized disc, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings,15x110mm thru-axle, 24h
  • Rear Hub: Specialized disc, alloy, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm thru-axle, 28h
  • Front Tyre: Butcher, GRID casing, 650x2.3", 60TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
  • Rear Tyre: Slaughter, GRID casing, 650x2.3", 60TPI, Aramid folding bead, 2Bliss Ready
  • Saddle: Body Geometry Henge Comp, hollow Cr-Mo rails, 143mm
  • Seatpost: Command Post IRcc, 12 position micro-height adjustable, alien head design, bottom mount cable routing, remote adjust SRL lever, 30.9mm, S: 100mm, M/L/XL: 125mm travel
That's your new ride?! That's a badass bike my man, nice score! You're going to love all the suspension travel on that bike, time to go shred some DH!

Also, I dig the color :)

Congrats dude!

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
That's your new ride?! That's a badass bike my man, nice score! You're going to love all the suspension travel on that bike, time to go shred some DH!

Also, I dig the color :)

Congrats dude!
Thanks man. I thought you'd like the green, iirc your Evil is green as well.

This is how we ended each day.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXwXBQvAvHo/

So cool as you can watch the pros come down and blast those hits. We're making this an annual event now, you need to join!

Oh and also were on our way home and meeting a guy with a Giant Glory (their DH model) as my wife has now got the bug. She's pumped to get a straight up DH bike to hit our MTNs with.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Thanks man. I thought you'd like the green, iirc your Evil is green as well.

This is how we ended each day.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXwXBQvAvHo/

So cool as you can watch the pros come down and blast those hits. We're making this an annual event now, you need to join!

Oh and also were on our way home and meeting a guy with a Giant Glory (their DH model) as my wife has now got the bug. She's pumped to get a straight up DH bike to hit our MTNs with.
Awesome man, glad you guys had a great trip. And awesome that your wife is stoked too!

I'd love to make it up for one of those. I'm sure I could plan one of my summer biking vacations around it, would be a great way to get some time away from work!

:cheers:

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Watch these highlights from the DH races on Garbonzo trail. These guys are fucking nuts.

Grateful Dude

TMMAC Addict
May 30, 2016
Watch these highlights from the DH races on Garbonzo trail. These guys are fucking nuts.

Damn, that's a badass course. Looks fast, but there were some gnarly chunks in there too. It's crazy how fast those guys can go through those burly spots. What's thatold saying, "speed is control"?

I could really hurt myself on that trail :D

La Paix

Fuck this place
First 100
Jan 14, 2015
Damn, that's a badass course. Looks fast, but there were some gnarly chunks in there too. It's crazy how fast those guys can go through those burly spots. What's thatold saying, "speed is control"?

I could really hurt myself on that trail :D
Ya it's insane at the speed they carry in those spots.

This is called Original Sin, a black tech run in the park there. It was one of the harder trails I got to do last weekend. Not my footage but similar lines.

Have you had rides in terrain like this? If so where? I love seeing how each place is so different and what skill set it forces their locals to excel in.